Putting A Cellphone In This Thing?

OK, you are never going to be able to solder an existing phone board to the pandora board and have a phone-dora - it doesn't work that way...

If you want to know how much it costs to get a one off prototype 3g phone board designed to your specifications (bearing in mind that this will give you just one board)

I pulled up one of my emails from last year and I have a price from the designers of between £22,00-£30,000. Obviously this was a very specific design for a very specific purpose and included testing and designing to pass CE & FCC certification.

So off you go - make a phone to stick in your pandora

And for the love of god please stop now.

R

ethereal said:
How much extra would it cost to put a cellphone in the pandora. I'm guessing it wouldn't cost much more then $100. Even at $430 the whole unit is still cheaper then an iphone without a plan.

Pandora it's placed in a market where the main competitor is sold at 125 EUR: adding expensive features that require lots of work to work properly isn't going to help its success.

ethereal said:
A homemade cellphone is even more rare then the Pandoras are right now. (Iphone are like assholes everyone has one... I stated this before in previous posts)

If you want a phone that is more exclusive than the iPhone to impress your friends/the ladies, why don't you buy a Freerunner?

Last edited by a moderator:
spinghed said:
I have a price of between £22,00-£30,000.
spinghed, am I right in assuming that you're missing a "0" in the "£22,00" bit? :blink:

If so, for our global audience, at the current rate of exchange, that's;

$33,431.13 to $45,469.61 US Dollars

$33,682.42 to $45,844.15 Canadian Dollars

$36,192.05 to $49,255.19 Australian Dollars

3,114,665.06 to 4,238,531.94 Japanese Yen

228,246.46 to 310,753.80 Chinese Yuan Renminbi

25,142.00 to 34,246.93 Euros

... And...
$12,102,202.99 to $16,477,330.97 Zimbabwe Dollars

Argh.. Phone in Pandora is sh!t idea.. Why do these come up all the time?

The only good idea is a 3G modem.. But just be happy with Pandora how it is!

Prometheus said:
spinghed said:
I have a price of between £22,00-£30,000.
spinghed, am I right in assuming that you're missing a "0" in the "£22,00" bit? :blink:

Bizarrely no. I actually though it would be much more too! - saying that, this would have been essentially a prototype - getting to market would have probably added at least another 2 "0's" to the price and therefore, it hasn't happened yet!

:)

Wow, really? Now I have to go and edit all of my comedy currency conversions. I really should have put the Zimbabwe Dollars first, for effect, shouldn't I? :lol:

Prometheus said:
Wow, really? Now I have to go and edit all of my comedy currency conversions. I really should have put the Zimbabwe Dollars first, for effect, shouldn't I? :lol:

I'm sorry, I'm an idiot. Yes of course it's £22,000! :blink:

I was up way too late with that bottle of wine! :)

PS anyone fancy an Pandora meet-up in London around September time? I have access to a hotel and was thinking about organising a full open source/Pandora Geek fest!

Rick

Since everyone has already covered all the serious issues, I have a proposal by which ethereal's plan might work:

1. Acquire a Pandora
2. Acquire a cell phone
3. Acquire a landline
4. Acquire a home server
5. Using some sort of adapter, connect the server's audio line in and line out to the land line telephone.
6. Duct-tape the cell phone to the Pandora.
7. Using some other sort of adapter, and hours of soldering, Dremeling, and duct-taping, connect the cell phone's microphone and speaker to the Pandora's line out and line in, respectively. Optional: If you want to actually call people with the phone, make sure to throw in a switch to reconnect the cell phone to its original mic and speaker.
8. Set up something in Linux on the Pandora and the server so that you can tunnel Internets over the phone lines of each device.

And there you have it. Here are some instructions for use:

Mode 1: Cell phone-based Internet
Switch the cell phone to use the Pandora's audio system. Start up the modem software, then dial your land line from the cell phone. After the Pandora handshakes with your server, you should have a secure tunnel for Internets.

Mode 2: Cell phone-based telephoning
Switch the cell phone to use its internal audio system. Then call somebody. Discuss how cool your new device is, and how it only cost $400, plus months and months of labor.

Optional Mode 3: Internets with sound
Switch the cell phone to use the Pandora's audio system. Then plug a USB sound card into the Pandora and somehow rewire it to send audio to the actual Pandora speakers. Now you have mobile sound and video!

So there you have it. A cheap way to get a one-off prototype of a Pandora cell phone. Might be a little bigger with the cell phone glued on, though, and you'll have to charge them separately.

Oooo the Batman vs 007 question...

Until a power source can last > 24 hours doing everything full tilt then I'd still carry a separate phone.

I used to carry a n95 + windows pda (loads of trouble tethering coz Three want to charge me more..)

Finally got rid of the pda when I got my n900. I tried carrying that just on its own, but I find work a lot easier when I am online with skype. That means depending on where I am, my battery for the n900 could be dead within 6 hours. Which means I've lost my camera, phone and portable internet device.

So I'm kinda back to the same situation of n95 + n900. Thanks to the new pay as u go contracts from three I've got both online at a cheaper price then before!

When i get the pandy, that will sit in my bag for commutes and general near wifi roaming :D <- Basically I guess what a lot of people want to use the iPad for, but I won't break my nose when I fall asleep lying in bed :D

Even if you managed to defy engineering by soldering a phone board to your pandora and getting it to funtion, can you seriously imagine holding something that large up to your face? The women would be looking at you, but they would be wondering why you were talking to your filofax, and probably thumbing a can of mace in their handbags.

cell-phone-old-big-4%5B1%5D.jpg

somebody should mod this to house a modern cellphone but keep the battery :)

Attachments

• cell-phone-old-big-4%5B1%5D.jpg
    cell-phone-old-big-4%5B1%5D.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 108
Batteries?
Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-278-0895-27,_Russland,_Soldat_am_Feldtelefon.jpg

Attachments

• Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-278-0895-27,_Russland,_Soldat_am_Feldtelefon.jpg
    Bundesarchiv_Bild_101I-278-0895-27,_Russland,_Soldat_am_Feldtelefon.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 104
I always have high hopes for this thread every time it comes up...

It's funny, this seems to be the issue that gets the most negative responses along the lines of 'why would you want that?'. People always chime in with descriptions of what a Pandora IS and IS NOT, ridiculous other things that might be added, mini-rants about telcos and why phones don't need to do everything or thoughts about holding a Pandora to the side of your head.

I suspect part of the division depends on where you plan to carry your Pandora. If in a bag, then sure; why not carry a bunch of extra devices? Anyone who considers carrying this in their pocket can obviously see the benefit of being able to replace a phone.

IMO, having GSM connectivity is not a stupid idea. However. It's clearly not for everyone so there's no way it SHOULD be a core and included functionality. I'm just hoping that someone has the drive and skills to attempt an internal 3g mod to pave the way for the rest of us.

^ I think the negativity results from the fact that this has been discussed to death multiple times. I really miss Chip's instant replies including links to the last half dozen of threads about the same stuff.
I lol'd so hard when this one popped up yesterday as it really was about time for a new thread about this :D

Pandora's design is set in stone. Ask again in a few years, maybe :)

Alerino did the Chip this time, good work ;)

if any of you remember a year ago I started a project for the this called pandaphone, bought a cheap cell modem dongle and was experimenting with it. I think it came down to not working on the american frequencies for GSM voice here in america. I went back and forth trying to decide between voip and gsm voice. Well I did find a combo that worked well, android OS, sipdroid (SIP for VOIP) backend, and google voice and gizmo5 for the voip/carrier bridge. It works, and works relatively well with a decent internet connection. If you have bad 3g coverage it goes to a speech to text voicemail where you can either read or listen, or both. Only problem at the moment it is only for those who have a gizmo5, and google voice account, which I think is limited to the USA for the time being.

It all worked seemingly well together, I got it all hooked up on my Odroid running android, but nobody seemed to care much about either project I was trying to lead (or much of anything I bring up, but that doesn't matter or bother me much) but I didn't report the success due to lack of interest. I'll wait for an android port to the pandora to be readily distributed before I write a how-to (for anyone that actually cares to use it) But I can call and answer calls and sms/txt people with little to no delay and all for free. Everything is "pushed" to the phone so you don't have to actively check for phone calls, sms's or voicemails. It's still not as polished as I was hopeing, but the functionality is there. All you need is a 3g connection, may it be mobile wifi hotspot, tether to a phone, or hardline wifi hotspot. You can check your messages and return calls when you have a connection, when you don't have a connection it goes to voicemail, simple enough IMO.

Definitely interested! Please share any info you have. I'm certain you will get much more enthusiasm/feedback for your efforts when we get our Pandoras and can try it for real.

xda has a great guide on how to setup sipdroid and google voice. I ran across this and it is pretty much exactly what I did, obviously you need android, sipdroid, google voice android apps, and a google voice and gizmo5 account.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=548405

Feel free to ask if you have any questions

I simply don't want to carry my wallet and my car keys any more, do you think that I could request that my pandora has a retractable key fob and spring loaded credit card slots? I will pay 228.466165 Nigerian naira for this.

Back