Putting A Cellphone In This Thing?

http://pandorawiki.org/ Been there done that.. Didn't find the answers to my questions..

Whats the website of the manufacturer in China that makes these Pandoras?

I'm not entirely sure that you're quite understanding what we're trying to tell you: There isn't one.

The components are from various places, and parts of it are made in various places. Then they're being assembled in England to begin with, and it has been said recently that they may *possibly* be assembled in Scotland in the future.

I don't quite get why you're asking for this information, as it is my understanding that certain things are owned by the team (for example, the nubs), so it's not like you could get some company to run you off some sort of clone or rip-off, nor is it some sort of reference design that they're putting their own name on. :p

Prometheus said:
I'm not entirely sure that you're quite understanding what we're trying to tell you: There isn't one.

The components are from various places, and parts of it are made in various places. Then they're being assembled in England to begin with, and it has been said recently that they may *possibly* be assembled in Scotland in the future.

I don't quite get why you're asking for this information, as it is my understanding that certain things are owned by the team (for example, the nubs), so it's not like you could get some company to run you off some sort of clone or rip-off, nor is it some sort of reference design that they're putting their own name on. :p

I did not know that they would be assembled in England or Scottland. Wouldn't this be WAY WAY WAY to expensive? You would be paying a worker in the UK about $12 an hour to assemble together one of these, while a worker in China might make 50cents an hour if there lucky. How the hell can you sell this thing for $330?

Due to copyright laws and just plain business ethics I wouldn't be able to sell clone rip-offs of Pandora. The only thing I want is to put a cellphone in the damn thing. Maybe if I have enough cash I could buy one of these with a cellphone straight from the factory.

China is famous for making cellphones. They literally have thousands of cellphones on the market in China that we never even hear of in the U.S. I figure this factory would make cellphones as well. (That's not a big stretch) maybe they could add one to the Pandora.

Didn't they already port the android operating system to Pandora?

So let me get this straight, you have a working cellphone operating system, speakers, a microphone, but we still can't get a damn cellphone in this thing...

Last edited by a moderator:
ethereal said:
Prometheus said:

I did not know that they would be assembled in England or Scottland. Wouldn't this be WAY WAY WAY to expensive? You would be paying a worker in the UK about $12 an hour to assemble together one of these, while a worker in China might make 50cents an hour if there lucky. How the hell can you sell this thing for $330?

Due to copyright laws and just plain business ethics I wouldn't be able to sell clone rip-offs of Pandora. The only thing I want is to put a cellphone in the damn thing. Maybe if I have enough cash I could buy one of these with a cellphone straight from the factory.

China is famous for making cellphones. They literally have thousands of cellphones on the market in China that we never even hear of in the U.S. I figure this factory would make cellphones as well. (That's not a big stretch) maybe they could add one to the Pandora.

Didn't they already port the android operating system to Pandora?

So let me get this straight, you have a working cellphone operating system, speakers, a microphone, but we still can't get a damn cellphone in this thing...

well this is the stupidest post I've seen in a while.
What factory ANYWHERE is going to let you pay them to make a one-off device that will require a lot of engineering , if not an entire board redesign, to integrate the 3g to it, for anything like a reasonable price?
just buy a f'king n900 and stop being dumb.

You're not getting it. It's a game console. You'll never buy one with a cell phone built in "from the factory". This is made by a small group of guys who would have to spend many more months and tens of thousands of dollars to make such an addition, and they have no inclination to do so.

Android is not going to be an officially supported Pandora OS, it's just something people might want to play with. And there are plenty of non-cell devices running it.

[edit] ninja'd, with style

I can't speak for the US, but I've heard of some Chinese cellphones over here in the UK...

I was also of the impression that it was Japan that was famous for its cellphones, but I admit that I don't use or have any interest in such devices, so I might have missed a change in the marketplace like that! :)

As for Android, that is not the default operating system. The default is Ångström. ;)

EDIT: Super triple ninja'd! :ph34r:

And the usual Exophase rant mode post is..

I dislike the threads that have a message like "it would be cool if Pandora did so and so. I'd definitely be willing to pay this amount for that."

Instead of vocalizing what you want, it's more considerate and pragmatic to think about what most benefits the product and its consumer base at large. Pandora is not positioned to be a phone. People are in general not comfortable with the extra cost. Many think the Pandora is too expensive as it is. And as it stands, adding baseband functionality would only serve to make a project that has been difficult to launch that much more so. See Neo Freerunner for a good example of how rolling a phone is difficult for small time designers - and that had 30 people working on it, as opposed to just one electrical engineer.

Now granted, a phone does have more general appeal than some of the things people ask for. But it also has a greater impact than most things. Even the basic design is not phone friendly. Of course, if you want to add phone functionality you can do so by adding a GSM dongle (or perhaps WiiMax if you live in a region with it and want to do VOIP) and a headset. No reason to make everyone pay very substantially for something that only a few people want.

Alerino said:
from the main page: http://www.open-pandora.org
About the Pandora

The Pandora is a mixture between a PC and a gaming console. That's why it has gaming controls (Buttons, DPad and analogue nubs).

anything else?

Ya add a friggen cellphone... Maybe a camera too......

Alright so pieces of this are made in various factories in China and elsewhere and then shipped to the UK to be assembled... (This is a VERY bad business model. It's much cheaper to have the whole product assembled in china. Even if the boards and other pieces are made in the UK. It would still be cheaper to ship those parts to be assembled in china, and have the whole unit shipped back. Even after cost of shipping it would still be cheaper this way.)

(I think you guys may be wrong about assembly being in the U.K... please link were you get this information)

How much extra would it cost to put a cellphone in the pandora. I'm guessing it wouldn't cost much more then $100. Even at $430 the whole unit is still cheaper then an iphone without a plan.

Ok so the developers are good at assembling electronic devices.

You can fit a cellphone in a watch now. Space is not the problem.

Any plans on adding cellphone ready pandora in the future? Anyway I could buy a Pandora and modify it myself to add a cellphone? I don't want a big ass dongle hanging out the end of my pandora.

Forum members are getting a little testy on this subject. If you don't have anything contructive to say please don't post in this thread.

Guys; I just don't want to carry around an Iphone and a pandora on me at the same time.. Plus a pandora is new and interesting.. Not everyone has it yet. Iphone are like assholes. Everyone has one..... I think pulling out your pandora phone at the bar is a good way to impress the ladies.. (Cellphones are like fast cars or fancy clothes now... Admit it.. It's true!..)

Are there any hardware developers for the pandora reading this thread? Can I get a realistic cost of making 1 cellphone compatible pandora? If I have to buy them in a large lot of a few thousand or so, what would be the smallest size lot I could get? How much USD per unit?

(I think you guys may be wrong about assembly being in the U.K... please link were you get this information)
:lol: We've only been following it for two years. Closely.

http://pandorapress....lace-in-the-uk/

It was a late decision, because assembly in Texas was indeed very expensive, and assembly in China... screw that. They tried to get the boards designed there in the early days, which failed. They're getting the cases done there now, and let's be honest, screw that too. Assembly in China would never happen, unless they had a team of full time whipcrackers with an Apple budget to oversee the whole thing.

It's being assembled in the UK by core team members (Craig, ED, MWeston, Fatih) and some volunteers to start with, unorthodox but it gets the ball rolling and costs very little. And it's being done on premises owned by Craig.

You really ought to trust us on the facts, we have lived & breathed this thing a little too much for quite a long time.

ethereal said:
Alright so pieces of this are made in various factories in China and elsewhere and then shipped to the UK to be assembled... (This is a VERY bad business model. It's much cheaper to have the whole product assembled in china. Even if the boards and other pieces are made in the UK. It would still be cheaper to ship those parts to be assembled in china, and have the whole unit shipped back. Even after cost of shipping it would still be cheaper this way.)

We are not wrong about this. This information is readily available on the forums, from the people who are making the machine. ;)

How much extra would it cost to put a cellphone in the pandora. I'm guessing it wouldn't cost much more then $100. Even at $430 the whole unit is still cheaper then an iphone without a plan.
It would cost whatever it would cost to redesign the entire board and case in order to make it fit. I don't work in this industry, so I can't give you an estimate. However, logically one would expect it to be a considerable amount.

Don't forget that you would have to also sort out software to make this work.

You can fit a cellphone in a watch now. Space is not the problem.
I think you ought to take a close look at the board and the casing before you say that space isn't a problem. When modifications that people talk about come up, it is often pointed out, as it is about to be again now, that the only way to make some extra space would be to remove the stylus-storage-slot, and find some other way of attaching the stylus, which *may* allow you to fit something small into the casing.

Anyway I could buy a Pandora and modify it myself to add a cellphone?
Others have spoken about this sort of thing. At this time I think it may be better if you were to wait and see if anyone else tries to do so.

Forum members are getting a little testy on this subject. If you don't have anything contructive to say please don't post in this thread.
You've not seen what counts as "testy" around here, yet, I don't think. :)

I think pulling out your pandora phone at the bar is a good way to impress the ladies.. (Cellphones are like fast cars or fancy clothes now... Admit it.. It's true!..)
Speaking as a lady, I don't. :p

I'm sure that driving and wearing a cellular telephone must have taken a lot of practice, though.

Are there any hardware developers for the pandora reading this thread? Can I get a realistic cost of making 1 cellphone compatible pandora? If I have to buy them in a large lot of a few thousand or so, what would be the smallest size lot I could get? How much USD per unit?
Keep an eye out for the members craigix, EvilDragon, MWeston, and mfk in particular - they are some of the chaps behind it. (Guys, if I'm forgetting anyone who would be able to answer this one, please accept my apologies! :))

Anything is possible if you put your mind to it.
cameraphone.jpg

Attachments

• cameraphone.jpg
    cameraphone.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 97
Gruso said:
:lol: We've only been following it for two years. Closely.

http://pandorapress....lace-in-the-uk/

It was a late decision, because assembly in Texas was indeed very expensive, and assembly in China... screw that. They tried to get the boards designed there in the early days, which failed. They're getting the cases done there now, and let's be honest, screw that too. Assembly in China would never happen, unless they had a team of full time whipcrackers with an Apple budget to oversee the whole thing.

It's being assembled in the UK by core team members (Craig, ED, MWeston, Fatih) and some volunteers to start with, unorthodox but it gets the ball rolling and costs very little. And it's being done on premises owned by Craig.

You really ought to trust us on the facts, we have lived & breathed this thing a little too much for quite a long time.

The fact that these are being assembled in the UK by core team members only adds to the odds of them making a version of Pandora with a cellphone.

How do you guys get around crazy UK labor laws with your volunteers?... (*caff* *caff* slaves)

Don't you need a clean room type professional factory setting to assemble these things? If you make them in your garage your risking losing a lot of boards from static and dust and stuff, but then again if the original guys from Apple made there first computers in a garage you guys can too right?

I read a post earlier about possibly adding a rumble pack in an open space on the pandora. Maybe I could add a cellphone there instead?

How long does it take to assemble one of these in a garage in the UK? What kind of quality control do you have?

Really now, maybe I should start a separate post on hardware modifications of the pandora? If I could somehow solder a cellphone board into the pandora board and get it to work that would be friggen insanely awsome.

A homemade cellphone is even more rare then the Pandoras are right now. (Iphone are like assholes everyone has one... I stated this before in previous posts)

Hypothetically, if someone *were* to add the necessary hardware (inbuilt or via USB), how much work would need to be done on the software side of things? Drivers would obviously be needed, but I'm unsure about the rest, or if there's any existing software that could be ported.

Edit: Ethereal, I suggest you have a quick browse through the unofficial blog, which should explain a lot of the situation so far.

Dude,

Lose the fricking attitude already. Testy, you've got no clue pal, really no fricking clue.

Chad has your latest electro-shock treatment left you this clueless?

Does anyone smell troll dung?

I smoke a lot of pot, so forgive me, but keep your phone and your camera out of my Pandora. I suggest you visit the case factory first, so they can design you a case with a hole in it for the camera, should take about two months.

Peace and cannabis,

Link

Alerino said:
i smell troll...
Where is that roller coaster?

You will never find a all-in-one device. N900 came close, but no gaming controls. Buy one or wait for pandora as it is and mod it as you wish.

Take it easy guys. I'm not trolling here. I seriously want a Pandora with a phone.

If a bunch of guys can get together and make a Pandora, why couldn't a bunch of guys get together and make a Pandora smart phone.

I just like the Pandora because it's sort of like a netbook, it's sort of like a gameboy, and it's sort of like an ipod touch. It's got all the features I want except a cellphone.

Im going to go over the unofficial blogs and see what kind of potential the pandora has for hardware modifications.

ethereal said:
Take it easy guys. I'm not trolling here. I seriously want a Pandora with a phone.

And not enough others do.

ethereal said:
If a bunch of guys can get together and make a Pandora, why couldn't a bunch of guys get together and make a Pandora smart phone.

You mean a bunch of other guys? Sure, it'll just take another two years and cost a lot of money and require a bunch of preorders that people might not be willing to put forth.

Or do you mean why can't they do it? Because they don't want to.

ethereal said:
I just like the Pandora because it's sort of like a netbook, it's sort of like a gameboy, and it's sort of like an ipod touch. It's got all the features I want except a cellphone.

And short of doing anything about it yourself that's something you're going to have to live with.

ethereal said:
Im going to go over the unofficial blogs and see what kind of potential the pandora has for hardware modifications.

You can add a GSM dongle. Adding anything internally is going to be quite problematic.

... and why not embed a pico projector and a camera so that it's the world first video phone / umpc / gaming handheld!

Ok, sorry, I'll stop feeding the trolls :p Correction, the scary people under the bridge have informed me they are not trolls, just enthusiasts!

Also add in a Type II PCMCIA card so I can use my token ring card for my work's antique network.

Back