Pyra Os and software?

Wrath Of Khan

Soul soother...
I guess the current pandora os can be updated for the pyra or would there be any technical issues.

What I wonder does ed and notaz have planned.

Imo more functionality out of the box than the p1 is needed.

I would like to see a plan as regards software this time around.

Ie a minimenu type launcher etc.

Somewhere in the "P2 Slackware" thread, EvilDragon says they're going with Debian as default OS.

Debian, with Pandora/Pyra specific tweaks and extensions. E.g. I assume we'll have a customized kernel, libPND, maybe an update of notaz' tweaked SDL, etc.

Of course that still gives plenty of choice as to how to present things by default to the user. I think a dialog on first boot and a GUI switch dialog (like we have on the Pandora) is still a good idea. Only this time, instead of having just MiniMenu and xfce in the menu, we can add OpenBox, Gnome, KDE etc to the list.

I hope the Switch GUI option is still carried over

^ don't most modern login managers include such an option anyway? I know KDM does...

They do and I think we are better off using one of them than rolling our own solution.

The only custom thing we probably need is a first first boot up wizard. That program could have options to install minimenu, lxde, xfce, kde, gnome, etc.

The debian-installer already has that option.

Debian testing with a separate repo for whatever customizations, and native software there is.

I would like to see minimenu as an option, allthough i dont use it personally. Also pnd-manager is a very user-friendly UI for a package-manager.

With more internal space there is room to ship more programs out of the box, such as pandora image viewer and such.

Source packages and meta-packages is something debian has that would be a welcome addition. Getting source packages with stated license for the pandorarepo now would make it easier to port the

repo contents over.

If you dont ship the whole running environment with the pnd like now and the rest of the base system

being one that moves a bit, its more important with source to recompile the package updates rather than workaround on the system side once changes happen.

Running the pnd-s, allthough quite a fixed system target, is suboptimal to bringing them up to speed. At some point backwards compatibility just stops.

The proprietary TI gfx drivers for the powerVR graphics isnt going to be supported by them forever. Options are omapdrm or just plain framebuffer 2D drivers.

What becomes of the old ängstrom is the question to the answer "exactly the same" but it would be nice to support pandora on debian too. There is also .next

Last edited by a moderator:
The nubs have a buttons included, don't forget :)
From an earlier statement though - the nub buttons only work when the nub is centered, right?

So a single nub would not be usable to place the pointer, click (left mouse) and drag while clicked to then un-click to let go.  That motion would still require a nub + some other key or nub.

Or did I misinterpret the nub-click functionality?

True, but you can use the right nub button e.g. for the mouse button.

Then drag and hold would be available. And right click could be the left button.

You never need to drag and hold with the right button.

It might feel weird at the beginning, but I can honestly imagine it would work.

Oh, operating system.  Until two posts in I thought this was a thread about a make believe breakfast cereal.

Will anyone mind if I call it the Pydora?

No, nobody will mind. Just don't be surprised when they don't know what you're talking about :p

So a name you don't like won. Accept failure, lift chin, keep going. Please don't keep rubbing it to everyone's face that you don't like the name. It's a bit annoying and entirely non-constructive.

Back