Release Quake2 Nanogl

Pickle, there will always be critics. Don't let that get you down.
This is good work here. It's been great to see the progress. I've nothing to contribute besides giving my thanks to all of those who are helping make this a great ride. Looks like this really is the start of a roller coaster ride. More thrills around the corner and in each and every turn!

Last edited by a moderator:
'Pickle' said:
hmm, im actually surprised some of you guys found reasons to moan.
Ignore them... Personally I think this is a fantastic start and anything else will just be icing on the cake. Keep up the good work Pickle!

'dewc' said:
This is good work here. It's been great to see the progress. I've nothing to contribute besides giving my thanks to all of those who are helping make this a great ride. Looks like this really is the tip start of the roller coaster. More thrills around the corner and in each and every turn!
Dont worry i wont ;) , all i needed to see was this running on the pandora's screen last night.

I should add this is known to work with quake 3. It just may take me some time to learn how everything interfaces together. For example it took about a days time to get all the source code squared away with a raw quake2.

Peter R said:
I'd rather see Quake2 with the overclocked GPU than Quake3 at the moment anyhow :p
Yeah dont worry i will finish up with q2 before moving on, i might actually back to q1 before q3.

I have to admit this is really good. And though I'm not that into games, it's a really nice demo of P's capabilities. Keep up the good work! Thumbs up!
P.S. I bet after optimizations (OGLES and NEON) we will have more than 30 fps in Q3.

'dewc' said:
This is good work here. It's been great to see the progress. I've nothing to contribute besides giving my thanks to all of those who are helping make this a great ride. Looks like this really is the start of a roller coaster ride. More thrills around the corner and in each and every turn!
Think most off use have had it hamered into our heads that Pandora = Doom 3 capable. And then you get a Q2 @ 30fps, you immediatly go "wtf". Q2 @ 30fps = D3 @ 1fps? First read it on the blog, and that info was missing from the post.

Think you need to point out in the original post that:

- Its running only at 500Mhz CPU, 55Mhz GPU, instead off the possible 600Mhz CPU, 110Mhz GPU.
- Using nanoGL as a wrapper resulting in even more speed loss ( percentage? ).
- Not optimized for the Pandora ( NEON ).

I've been looking into the nanoGl wrapper to see what performance difference it creates, but i'm not finding any.

Its a nice feat getting Q2 active on the Pandora. Think that Q3 will be the most popular from the Q serie ( might be wrong? ).

And for one or other reason, i was immediately thinking: "Hmmm, 30fps, so with a OMAP3630 its 30 fps * 1.75 + x% cpu" *lol* ... Fuck, this is going to be hard to get out off my head every time i see a opengl based game benchmark ;) Craigex is going to kill me B)

Ah that kind of bad feedback is the double edged sword of posting hot off the press updates.

I guess some PSP resolution FPS might put it more in to perspective.

'craigix' said:
Ah that kind of bad feedback is the double edged sword of posting hot off the press updates.

I guess some PSP resolution FPS might put it more in to perspective.
For PR information, this Q2 post might have been better called: "Quake 2 Port - Alpha 1". It makes it more clear to the general public.

Take the same with the PSX emulator ( any software ):
- Current version Alpha 2, 10% speed increase.
- Version Alpha 3, 15% speed increase, now using neon whatever...

Think whats missing is a more constant stream off update on the development. Thats what most off use "techies" miss. I remember a lot off questions asked in the PSX topic, where there was never a answer to. For instance, "i make a movies of xxx later". And nothing gets released later.

There are half a dozen of projects active, yet, we hardly hear anything from any progress.Lets face it, we are all hungry for more information all the time, and when a scrap is thrown our way, it feels for many as to little. And then of course you get bad reactions to it.

What do you expect Craigex? I'm still amazed at how relatively little the official site gets updated. How a bunch off volunteers at a blog need to keep the community happy with news. And then you get blogs that don't have all the details, and it just increases some people there frustrations.

How many developers have boards Craigex?

Very nice news!
I'm impressed and certain that it could get a lot higher FPS with a little optimization.

'Pickle' said:
hmm, im actually surprised some of you guys found reasons to moan.
I don't complain and think you'll have done a really good job but i think we can have more (with time) than only this ;)

very nice work Pickle! maybe this would make for a nice demo for ED on Olymptronica tomorrow? B)

LosOutlandos said:
very nice work Pickle! maybe this would make for a nice demo for ED on Olymptronica tomorrow? B)

Thats was one of the goals I had be trying to get this to work.

There aren't enough donkeys in the world to fully express how many asses this kicks!

Good work Pickle. The Pandora is the box that will keep on giving, with every new optimization that will fully support its hardware.

Thanks for taking the time to post this guys. The CNC should be shipping today, so this is good news to tide us over to even better news.

I dedicate this to all the whiners:

overclocking the Cortex? 750 Mhz

clocking the SGX? 110 Mhz

total FPS? 52

listening to people whine who dont have pandora: priceless

Note: this is the physical limit was able reach. At 600 Mhz I got 49 fps. So the limit is the SGX it appears. Also this is with NEON as it is with the current CS toolchain.

Back