Release Quake2 Nanogl

'Pickle' said:
I dedicate this to all the whiners:

overclocking the Cortex? 750 Mhz

overclocking the SGX? 110 Mhz

total FPS? 52

listening to people whine who dont have pandora: priceless

Note: this is the physical limit was able reach. At 600 Mhz I got 49 fps. So the limit is the SGX it appears. Also this is with NEON as it is with the current CS toolchain.
Hey your taking this 'moaning' thing too seriously, I read the whole thread and only ONE person said he wasn't impressed. No need to over react like that :p

Anyway, nice numbers! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
MDave said:
Hey your taking this 'moaning' thing too seriously, I read the whole thread and only ONE person said he wasn't impressed. No need to over react like that :p
Anyway, nice numbers! :)
I thought it would be humorous if I wrote it up that way. :p

Pickle said:

Distraction: was that word choice accurate? I thought the SGX could run at 110 natively, not overclocked. It wouldn't be the first time I'd confused my numbers.

WizardStan said:
Pickle said:

Distraction: was that word choice accurate? I thought the SGX could run at 110 natively, not overclocked. It wouldn't be the first time I'd confused my numbers.

point taken, modified post.

50 fps is really something to behold on the pandora screen, very smooth.

'Pickle' said:
Pickle: I find this highly offensive.

So, its the customers fault for "whining", who payed good money, what, 6 months ago, on a product they have yet to receive?

What a nice personality you have. Rub it in some more will ya.

By this my Pandora order, after 6 months off waiting, is canceled. And i'll gladly eat the 40€ the several exchange rates costs. I should have done this 4 months ago. But noooo ... Everything's Ok, next month, no wait, next month, no wait, next month ... it will be done. *sigh*

I'm so tired off this messed up project. Craigex you will have my official notification tomorrow ( as soon as my mail server host stops acting up ).

One more Pandora for the next gullible person. I'm out off here. Have fun ...

Benjiro said:
'Pickle' said:

So, its the customers fault for "whining", who payed good money, what, 6 months ago, on a product they have yet to receive?

urgh.......
I think you might have taken it the wrong way (and have very much overreacted), if anyone thinks that Im throwing in everyone face that I have a board, im not.
What I meant was for anyone that didnt buy a pandora when they do come out. Mainly for those that have been critical of the pandora. It's a reflection of what the pandora is really capable of.

I also paid for a pandora, went through the bank transfer fiasco, not to my enjoyment I might add. I also dont like the delays any more than anyone else.

Ive very grateful to have the opportunity to work on a board before the release. In fact I never expected to get one to begin with.

Benjiro: go take a walk and cool down and rethink it over.

@benjiro

I don't know whats going on in your personal life, but I think how you took Pickle's little MasterCard thing was a little over the top.

It's up to you ultimately, but we are all staying around for a reason. One day it will be in our hands.

Anyway, hope everything is okay on your end.

Let's move on :D

quake 1 is running and looks great! (no sound though, causing a seg fault, look into to it tomorrow)

500 mhz 55 mhz no neon = 36 fps
750 mhz 110 mhz no neon = 58 fps
750 mhz 110 mhz w/ neon = 64 fps

'Pickle' said:
Let's move on :D

quake 1 is running and looks great! (no sound though, causing a seg fault, look into to it tomorrow)

500 mhz 55 mhz no neon = 36 fps
Most interesting results :) I guess this also runs at native res and with nanogl wrapper?

PSP can run Quake 1 60FPS + at 333MHZ. That is at 480 x 272 though. Can you do a test at half resolution too?

Pickle said:
That doesn't actually seem like a huge increase. By your estimate, having worked a little bit with the hardware, would you say there's a lot of growth still to be had in utilizing NEON, or are those 6 frames it? A 10% for programs that use it over those that do not?
"I don't know" is always a valid answer.

Most float stuff is probably still done in VFP rather than NEON. It'll only do in NEON what it can vectorize, the compiler doesn't (yet) realize that NEON is best for everything.

'Benjiro' said:
'Pickle' said:

What a nice personality you have. Rub it in some more will ya.

By this my Pandora order, after 6 months off waiting, is canceled. And i'll gladly eat the 40€ the several exchange rates costs. I should have done this 4 months ago. But noooo ... Everything's Ok, next month, no wait, next month, no wait, next month ... it will be done. *sigh*

I'm so tired off this messed up project. Craigex you will have my official notification tomorrow ( as soon as my mail server host stops acting up ).

One more Pandora for the next gullible person. I'm out off here. Have fun ...

another one bites the dust

Excellent!

Can one set different texturemodes in the (GL) Quake engines? Ie to disable the bilinear filtering?

'WizardStan' said:
'Pickle' said:
That doesn't actually seem like a huge increase. By your estimate, having worked a little bit with the hardware, would you say there's a lot of growth still to be had in utilizing NEON, or are those 6 frames it? A 10% for programs that use it over those that do not?
"I don't know" is always a valid answer.
Neon is probably going to be the part of the Pandora which takes the longest to get the best results from. But I kind of like that, I like that nice curve of optimisation that comes with learning new hardware, and these initial results (at 800*480 thats FOUR times the PSP Res) are superb, you could pick it up and play it now without any further work - but this is gp32x and there shall be optimisation.

'Peter R' said:
The Pandora is not capable of 30FPS Doom3 @ 800*480 resolutions. Whoever seems to have got that into their head must be some kind of deluded.
Who on earth thinks that? My 1.8Ghz PC can't even run it at that res.

Nice work Pickle, congratulations :)

Some comments and questions:

- please don't post numbers with overclocked CPU, target the standard 550-600 MHz (I hate OC!)

- I guess nanoGL is the OpenGL to OpenGL ES 1.1 wrapper that has already been used for Quake; if that's the case I am not sure there's much to gain by going to ES 1.1 directly; perhaps going to ES 2.0 would bring more speedup, but at a higher development cost

- for NEON, I am surprised you got such a speedup with gcc; what version did you use? There might be some further gain to achieve here, but I am not sure Q2 is really FPU limited (BTW play with -fsingle-precision-constant, that will limit floating-point constants to single precision). Anyway there will be a need for assembly language stuff here...

Damn. This thing scales amazingly!

Almost double the FPS with double clock increase.

Hey Laurent, you don't like OC? Enjoy getting ripped off when you buy a new PC!

"Hey Laurent, you don't like OC? Enjoy getting ripped off when you buy a new PC!"

Hey, Butterman!
.. Please explain your comment, I didn't quite understand it.

I personally keep my Core 2 Duo at the lowest stock setting, 1 Ghz, because I don't like it to have an unnecessarily high temperature. It's 51 degree celsius now, and I think the fans are on low. At the full 2.16 Ghz, it gets up into the 60s and the fans turn on high and become annoyingly loud.

'Pickle' said:
hmm, im actually surprised some of you guys found reasons to moan.
It's t3he Internet. We can moan about anything - heck, we'll even moan about moaning!

'Pickle' said:
You know ive only had the board 2 days and im was trying to get things running. Again this is a the base clocks. Im not even using neon yet which should help with fp.
Most excellent - I must admit that while OC speeds are interesting, I agree with Laurent (IIRC) that the most important speeds are at "default" clock rates. Whether a component current CAN be clocked up to 110 or 600 or 900 or whatever isn't THAT useful (just appealing) but what we can RELY on, how the hardware is configured by default, is probably the best standard to measure against.

And yeah, to me it'd be more useful to see stats for the default clock rates but halved resolution. Still - 2 days? I am SO glad you've got a board! Hope to see more "anon".

Ta

Back