Release Quake2 Nanogl

'Chip' said:
'WizardStan' said:
Half Life is based on Quake 2 in the same way that a Ferrari is based on a go-kart.
If you're going to use a car analogy, you might as well keep it engine-based. Half life (and many other games) use the quake 2 engine, and the engine has been open sourced. However, just like with cars, an engine by itself doesn't go anywhere. You need all the other parts that make up a car to drive to the store, and you need all the other (closed source) parts that make up Half Life to play the game.

So no, there will be no Half-Life on the Pandora unless Valve ports it themselves.
Actually, I think Half-Life is based on the Quake 1 engine, which gives you a good idea of just how much was added to it.

As the FAQ says, no source code, no port. Unless someone's going to embark on the mother of all Quake mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think there's a silly doom halflife mod, i've never tried it, but it looked nice in a quirky sort of way. I'll look for a link...

Edit: Actually, searching google there seems to be a few, none recreate that much of the game, mainly just graphics etc.

Half-Life maps can be run on several open-source modifications of the Quake engine, but it would still require quite an amount of coding for NPCs to get a Half-Life playalike on the Pandora.

Pickle posted on Mar 17 2009 at 05:55 PM) [quote="MDave posted on Mar 17 2009 at 10:48 AM said:
I forgot that Aliens vs Predator could now be easily ported the same way the Quake's were, with nanogl :"]

http://icculus.org/avp/

Pickle, up for it? :p
Maybe...not right now anyway. I need to finish the quake stuff. Theres no point doing a half job on a bunch of things. I dont have the game data anyway, I have avp2. For some reason I thought avp1 was a 2d scroller.[/quote]
With the various Quakes going so well, please do feel free to revisit this thought (the FPS called AvP) :D . Dabble with the code even if you like. If you need anything - game data perhaps? Just cry out - I'm pretty sure someone would be willing to help you out!

Ta

jens.l said:
Pickle, is Hexen II also possible ?

Jens

I second this full heartedly!
Heretic, Hexen and Hexen 2 running on Pandora would very likely force me to buy one :D

Hopefully, we'll have a port of Zdoom that will cover the Heretic and Hexen side of things (along with the Doom and Strife side of things as well, of course).

Loonie said:
Hopefully, we'll have a port of Zdoom that will cover the Heretic and Hexen side of things (along with the Doom and Strife side of things as well, of course).

be nice if they cut that fmod crud out

edit: fyi ive port hheretic and hhexen and prboom, so the only thing not supported is strife

Pickle said:
edit: fyi ive port hheretic and hhexen and prboom, so the only thing not supported is strife

You seem to insist on being my hero.

Pickle said:

Shame about Strife, but a good start.

I know I'm repeating myself again, but +1 from me for USB mouse support!! (and that goes for all the Quake games:D)

Stouffa said:
I know I'm repeating myself again, but +1 from me for USB mouse support!! (and that goes for all the Quake games:D)

mice should be supported without problems...
http://pandorawiki.org/USB

did any of you tried simply plugging a mouse in the mini-usb port? (u'll need an adapter for that)

rutto said:
Stouffa said:

mice should be supported without problems...
http://pandorawiki.org/USB

did any of you tried simply plugging a mouse in the mini-usb port? (u'll need an adapter for that)

My wifi mouse does work, but only in the menu, not sure how to get it actually working as mouse look in gameplay. I am speaking of ZQuake-GLES though.

EDIT
When I say work I actually mean show, the menus don't respond to it.

Stouffa said:

+1 from me too, both for asking and repeating. Quake 3 with mouse support would be awesome on Pandora.

Just curious - why would you want mouse support to play the game on your pandora? At that point aren't you better off just playing it on a laptop or desktop?

Back