Rand0mizer (command Line File Swapper)

starpause

Website
mp3death.us
I had trouble uploading this to the file archive, so I'll just post the news here and hope Ed or someone else is able to add it for me. Thanks!

rand0mizer is a simple program designed to be run from the shell or in a script. you feed it a file name and a directory name, then rand0mizer will replace the file with one from the directory.

download it!
http://gorehole.org/gamepark/rand0mizerRelease.7z
[cut]
here's the included readme:

Code:
=== rand0mizer by starpause ============================================ 

CONTENTS:
01. HOW TO USE
02. EXAMPLE OF USE
03. WHY RELEASE THIS SIMPLE APP
=== 01 HOW TO USE ====================================================== 

usage (from shell/script): 
$rand0mizer fileToRandomize dirWithFilesToChooseFrom 

this application isn't very robust, it has to be executed in a working directory where fileToRandomize and dirWithFilesToChoseFrom are located. 
=== 02 EXAMPLE OF USE ================================================== 

i used rand0mizer to switch up the background image displayed by gmenu2x-0.7. i have a directory gmenu2x/imgs/wallpapers/ filled with many .png and the application at gmenu2x/rand0mizer.gpe. my autorun.gpu looks like this: 
#!/bin/sh
cd /mnt/sd/gmenu2x/imgs
./rand0mizer.gpe bg.png wallpapers
cd ..
exec ./gmenu2x
=== 03 WHY RELEASE THIS SIMPLE APP? ==================================== 

first, i know that backup is the only way to make data permanent. a few copies on the internet seems like a good backup. maybe for a larger project i'll start a sourceforge page. 

also, i wanted to remind people that gp2x is a little computer that anyone can learn to program! this c++ code is very simple but it gets the job done. i'm excited to learn more. it is also possible to do a lot on the gp2x with only shell scripting. 

a beautiful thing about retro machines (c64, amiga, atariST, etc) is that one person can learn the entire, standardized, hardware system well enough to make it do exactly what they need. truly personal computers. many code hacks cut their teeth on these old machines, it's important to give users freedom and encourage them to mold the machine to their will. if every computer maker is closed source and discourages people from hacking, there will be no more coders for them to hire (besides blackhat renegades bent on destroying organization). 

so, the gp2x is fun for retro gaming, but i also hope that the machine will bring some young people up right: giving them a fun reason to dive into bash, python, or to start compiling code. 

thanks to everyone in #gp2xdev on efnet, all of your suggestions and help are much appreciated! 
= EOF ==================================================================
[/cut]

I had to read through that whole readme twice just to get an idea of what this program was for. Could you provide a synopsis next time please.

Nice idea though :)

EDIT: oh sorry, there is a wee description in the title, didn't notice that.

it would be pretty cool for the pig if someone made a file browser that can create directories and preview wavs. Then you could have a massive sample library on a sd card, and import samples on a per song basis, and rename the directory with the 'song' name without having to checking in at a computer.

while your messing with file structure and all.

;)

This could be really cool for changing themes in gmenu2x, run it once for background, and another for the config.ini

Back