Refurbished Pandoras on Ebay

Sadly the european buyers need to pay 330€ for a preorder slot... and this is only 20 more €...
The 330EUR includes VAT, which this auction does not, so it's really more like 50-60EUR more, which is about 70USD, so basically the same, a little cheaper. That assumes VAT would be charged on the ebay auction, which I believe it is. I know in North America we have to pay tax if it is shipping within our own province/state, but I don't know how the rules apply in the EU/UK.

I always thought that VAT was included in the auction, as it is with in the EU, I could be wrong, but all the auctions I have won have included VAT in the bid. If I won a bid of £20.00, I would pay £20.00 plus the shipping (from within the EU).

Last edited by a moderator:
I always thought that VAT was included in the auction, as it is with in the EU, I could be wrong, but all the auctions I have won have included VAT in the bid. If I won a bid of £20.00, I would pay £20.00 plus the shipping (from within the EU).
So what happens if a non-European like me won? I can't legally be held for VAT, so if I buy one of these at 280GBP, does it automatically deduct VAT making my actual payment lower?

In North America, as I said, if the purchase is shipped from within your own province/state, you're supposed to pay tax, and that goes on top of your winning bid. You don't always because it may not have been setup properly, but you're supposed to. It's possible that all the auctions you've won have not actually included VAT and you've been getting away with it. I don't think Craig, as a proper business, would be able to get away with that.

Either way... a long story short...

I was forced to pay 330€ for a Pandora anyway already... paying a total of 350€ now, well actually only the 20€ difference - isn't that bad either.

Hadn't thought of it like that,

Although there is never anything on ebay saying that VAT needs to be payed on top of the final auction price.

The whole thing with tax and vat is an interesting dilemma, it would certainly make the unit slightly cheaper for others.

I remember when I was in NY a while ago, I went shopping and had my passport with me, but was still charged sales tax, I guess I was supposed to claim it back at the airport, but to be honest I couldn't be bothered.

Have a look here for the ebay VAT info, it says that sellers are responsible for the VAT on the items they sell and the fees they pay ebay. Ebay VAT FAQ, have a look at question 5.

Not too sure what this means for all non-eu persons, sorry.

I just bough one 2 hours ago :) I went with standard shipping... from UK to Switzerland shouldn't be that bad anyway. Just knowing it is coming toward me will be great.

I actually saw the Pandora listing yesterday evening and I decided against buying one as I already have a 1st batch order (around 2000).

But then I have nearly finished my exam and I kills me to have some free time but no Pandora to play with.

So I guess it's a bit crazy but I just don't want to wait empty handed for another "2" month for my 1st batch unit. Actually the Swiss Franc is quite strong so I believe the price is not far off my original order. What is stupid now is that I will be getting 2 Pandora now...

Just ordered one. Couldn't wait for batch 2.

From UK to UK, I should be able to get it before the end of the week. That made my month :D

I have to go running around somewhere screaming with joy now, be right back.

You can always cancel your other order and get a refund.

Yes, I though about that. Actually if I am totally happy with my refurb I might just do it. The fact is that I will be losing over the exchange rate so I am a bit reluctant to cancel it.

Oh... I did say the post before that my refurb didn't seem that expensive because of the exchange rate lol. I know exchange rate is a double edge sword. I guess it was just a psychological thing to make me push the order button. :lol: (that and the 3 units left)

Seriously, I might just get both and then sell one of them in Switzerland. Not sure if I'll be really better off this way but I can at least chose the unit that I prefer. :p

Just ordered one. Couldn't wait for batch 2.

From UK to UK, I should be able to get it before the end of the week. That made my month :D

I have to go running around somewhere screaming with joy now, be right back.
Yep, I ordered at 4pm and it was delivered at 9 the next morning :D

It includes VAT at the UK 20% rate (up from 15%! Thanks Labour for fucking up the UK economy).

You might as well rename this thread the 'Michael Weston survival fund' (AKA let's keep Michael Weston working for us because he is awesome).

Hadn't thought of it like that,

Although there is never anything on ebay saying that VAT needs to be payed on top of the final auction price.

The whole thing with tax and vat is an interesting dilemma, it would certainly make the unit slightly cheaper for others.

I remember when I was in NY a while ago, I went shopping and had my passport with me, but was still charged sales tax, I guess I was supposed to claim it back at the airport, but to be honest I couldn't be bothered.

Have a look here for the ebay VAT info, it says that sellers are responsible for the VAT on the items they sell and the fees they pay ebay. Ebay VAT FAQ, have a look at question 5.

Not too sure what this means for all non-eu persons, sorry.

It includes VAT at the UK 20% rate (up from 15%! Thanks Labour for fucking up the UK economy).

You might as well rename this thread the 'Michael Weston survival fund' (AKA let's keep Michael Weston working for us because he is awesome).

So is there a way for a non-UK/Europe buyer to pay the price without VAT? I'd be interested, but not for a refurbished unit that's 60 GBP more than I'd pay, otherwise.

Ebay.co.uk must work differently from ebay.ca and ebay.com. A quick google search reveals that VAT was being applied inconsistently between sellers, with some charging it upfront as part of the bid, and others applying it as a charge after the bid had been won. This lead to some "scams" where sellers would post a buy-it-now price that implied it was better than the next leading option, but in fact was worse because they did the VAT charge after while the other did before. This was changed a couple of years ago, so now VAT is included in the winning bid across the board.

This makes me suspect that the tax laws in the UK are different from those in North America. As I said, buying something over the internet out of province/state does not incur most taxes. In the even that it does, those taxes are understood to be applied after the purchase. Someone from the EU would not pay taxes on an item purchased from New York (though they may pay duty as it crosses the border). European tax law doesn't appear to separate internet from real world purchases: a New Yorker buying from the UK is expected to pay VAT on internet purchases the same as he would if he had actually visited the country. Or such is my understanding from this brief anecdote. I'm no lawyer.

edit: but wait, that contradicts other purchases I have made from the UK, notably the Pandora but also a few other items over the years: I was tax exempt on those (until they crossed the border and became subject to the random whims of the duty officer).

Is ebay the one doing something wrong here?

You won't pay the 20% VAT outside the EU.

If only the UK was outside the EU, but that's another debate.

So you're telling me that if I buy a Pandora to ship to the US, I won't pay 280 GBP, I'll pay 220 GBP? Can you confirm where in the process this gets removed? Because I only see a "Buy-it-Now" for 280 GBP, and this is on ebay.com, not ebay.co.uk.

I'm potentially willing to try, but I want some guarantee of refund/canceled bid/no bad feedback if it doesn't come off.

why didn't they sell quicker than they did? i'd rather pay a little extra instead of wait...

refurbished is just as good imo...

the wait until monday is going to be so slow... getting two 16gb sd cards today at best buy for 30$ each, and i have a 16gb flashdrive to use with it too. sweeeet

Back