Release REICAST - Dreamcast Emulator

I tried to play with the dynarec, adding a few more opcode. But I'm not sure I haven't broke anything in the process, so here is a alpha alpha version of reicast with my modif (I haven't notice improvement neither).

Please test and report.

reicast.pnd

Attachments

• reicast.pnd
    5.1 MB · Views: 261
I will take a look ! thanks PtitSeb for working hard on this :) (only "one hour" work?)
Yeah, almost. I'm at something like 8Hrs now, and I added thoses opcode to the dynarec:

• cvt_i2f_n
  • cvt_i2f_z (same implementation for now)
  • mul_u16
  • mul_s16
  • mul_u64
  • mul_s64 (thoses 4 mul are quite similar in fact)
  • setpeq
  • shad
  • shld
  • sbc
I spend most of the time on shad, shld and sbc, and I'm still not sure there are 100% correct (setpeq too).

I highly prefer OS X
tumblr_le8gifLkio1qf4it5.jpg

Testreport:

Good news: big speed improvements on the grandia 2 intro movie at rebirth  @ 950 mhz. was a slide show now it is a slow movie, it got at least 2 times faster.

bad: 

gamespeed in grandia 2 and gta2 decreased gta 2 got a small render error at the start church, one well gets sometimes invisible.

Here is my testreport so far (will keep this post updated several times because I need more time) :

Setup: 1200 Mhz - SGX 4.10 - SZ 1.60

- Incoming : Fullspeed, a minor slowdown in scenario two phase 5, no sound stuttering, no graphical issues, stable

- Expendable : Almost Fullspeed, no slowdowns, no sound stuttering, no graphical issues, stable

- Trickstyle : is experiencing heavy graphical issues now, cannot even see the selected character, lvl design wont show up completely, only a part of the arena is visible in the far distance.

(switching back to old version from the repo resolved this.)

- Silver : playable as before but still heavy sound stuttering if there are more than two 3 dimensional models (characters) shown.

- Re-Volt : 70-80% gamespeed now (slower), no slowdowns anymore, sound is way better, BUT still no menus.

- Dead or Alive 2 : 50-60% of gamespeed (slower), still heavy sound stuttering.

- MDK 2 : Fullspeed, minor slowdown in huge places, still the sniper mode does not function correct due to a texture bug.

- Rayman 2 : Fullspeed but I have missing textures sometimes, no sound issues

P.S. so far I ve got the feeling that I experience less sound stuttering than before tho but sometimes slightly slower gameplay

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks ptitSeb.  Just tried this with Soul Calibur and noticed there's sound improvement.  Though still stuttering, I could hear players' voices clearly now which I couldn't before.  Speed seems to be faster too!

I'm running mine on 1.0GHz with SGX4.10.

Good job!

Here is my testreport so far (will keep this post updated several times because I need more time) :

Setup: 1200 Mhz - SGX 4.10 - SZ 1.60

- Incoming : Fullspeed, a minor slowdown in scenario two phase 5, no sound stuttering, no graphical issues, stable

- Expendable : Almost Fullspeed, no slowdowns, no sound stuttering, no graphical issues, stable

- Trickstyle : is experiencing heavy graphical issues now, cannot even see the selected character, lvl design wont show up completely, only a part of the arena is visible in the far distance.

(switching back to old version from the repo resolved this.)

- Silver : playable as before but still heavy sound stuttering if there are more than two 3 dimensional models (characters) shown.

- Re-Volt : 70-80% gamespeed now (slower), no slowdowns anymore, sound is way better, BUT still no menus.

- Dead or Alive 2 : 50-60% of gamespeed (slower), still heavy sound stuttering.

- MDK 2 : Fullspeed, minor slowdown in huge places, still the sniper mode does not function correct due to a texture bug.

- Rayman 2 : Fullspeed but I have missing textures sometimes, no sound issues

P.S. so far I ve got the feeling that I experience less sound stuttering than before tho but sometimes slightly slower gameplay
Hum, ok. Thanks for that comprehensive report. I'll bake a new release with some slight adjustement for testing, if your are still up to that :)

The MAME CHD V4 format works with Reicast.
Works nice on Windows, but I highly prefer OS X. Is there any chance to get CHDMAN in a "ready for use version" for Mac ?
I don’t have access to a Mac to test it, but I found and attached (intel_osx_chdman0144.zip) an Intel Mac OSX build of chdman version 0144.

You most likely have to have to use it from a command line like the Windows and Pandora versions of chdman I posted.

$ ./chdman -createcd Skies1.gdi Skies1.chd

Windows command line version (with explanation) here: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15211-reicast-dreamcast-emulator/?p=300943

Pandora command line version version here: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15211-reicast-dreamcast-emulator/page-3#entry300979

intel_osx_chdman0144.zip

Attachments

• intel_osx_chdman0144.zip
    253.3 KB · Views: 193
If you can test this new release and compare it the the previous alpha alpha :)
Hi ptitSeb,

I've tested this release with D2 on my GHZ Pandora @1200MHz and the SGX4.10xxx driver. This new version seems to fix the crashes I've experienced with reicast on Pandora as well as on my Shield so far, so drkIIRaziel should definately have a look at your opcode-implementations. The crashes always happened during the very first cutscene by the time when Parker enters the cottage. Since the cutscenes cannot be skipped this made the whole game unplayable. It could also be that the speed has improved very little, but even if so it s stiil far from full speed (D2). So thanks a lot for your additions an I hope that the shield version will also profit from it.

Edit: Ok, I could play a few minutes but noticed that I forgot to format the memcards and could not save. So I quit the game, formatted the memcards and tried again, but this time the games crashed again during the cutscene (like described above). I will try again though, maybe I can manage to get past this cutscene again and finally save,

Edit: Well, I couldn't get past the cutscene again. Seems it was just by coincidence, too bad.

offtopic: the old reicast version can play gta2 nicely lots of sound stutter but very playable. if you enjoyed it on the pc dont play the reduced playstation version, play the full game via reicast :)

The MAME CHD V4 format works with Reicast.
Works nice on Windows, but I highly prefer OS X. Is there any chance to get CHDMAN in a "ready for use version" for Mac ?
I don’t have access to a Mac to test it, but I found and attached (intel_osx_chdman0144.zip) an Intel Mac OSX build of chdman version 0144.

You most likely have to have to use it from a command line like the Windows and Pandora versions of chdman I posted.

$ ./chdman -createcd Skies1.gdi Skies1.chd

Windows command line version (with explanation) here: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15211-reicast-dreamcast-emulator/?p=300943

Pandora command line version version here: http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/15211-reicast-dreamcast-emulator/page-3#entry300979
I got this error with chdman for mac on OS X 10.9:

dyld: Library not loaded: @executable_path/../Frameworks/SDL.framework/Versions/A/SDL

Maybe if I install this SDL from somewhere it works.

But for now I am using WINE and its is working fine.

I will take a look ! thanks PtitSeb for working hard on this :) (only "one hour" work?)
Yeah, almost. I'm at something like 8Hrs now, and I added thoses opcode to the dynarec:

• cvt_i2f_n
  • cvt_i2f_z (same implementation for now)
  • mul_u16
  • mul_s16
  • mul_u64
  • mul_s64 (thoses 4 mul are quite similar in fact)
  • setpeq
  • shad
  • shld
  • sbc
I spend most of the time on shad, shld and sbc, and I'm still not sure there are 100% correct (setpeq too).
Yeah, these will def. speed boost movies and (some) games. I've mostly focused on fpu/mem performance, there are quite a few low hanging fruits for movies/intra linking and register allocation.

Testreport:

Good news: big speed improvements on the grandia 2 intro movie at rebirth  @ 950 mhz. was a slide show now it is a slow movie, it got at least 2 times faster.

bad: 

gamespeed in grandia 2 and gta2 decreased gta 2 got a small render error at the start church, one well gets sometimes invisible.
Whee :)

Anybody tried Resident Evil: Code Veronica* yet? [Please post some videos]

*-This is the one+only game i would like to play on DC emulator..
Your in luck. seems to run slightly underspeed, stutters in the intro movies/cut scenes but is rendered correctly and very playable.

That's on a 1ghz with v2 or v3 builds and default or 4.10X driver respectively.

Other titles that seem pretty good to me are :

crazy taxi 1 (as number 2 is very slow.)

Daytona USA

mag force racing

power stone 1 and 2 (speed fluctuates but certainly playable)

legacy of kain SR (intros are very slow but in game is a playable speed)

red dog superior firepower

Sega bass fishing (rather slow but renders correct on 4.10)

south park rally (playable speed)

star wars episode1 racer (good speed but no sound or music in races)

unreal tournament (slow but rendered well)

zombie revenge (fairly playable speed)

virtua tennis (slow and a bit glitchy)

jet grind radio is a decent speed and sound but lots of graphical problems of the city.

soldier of fortune (rendered well but is a total slideshow)

I must have different formats or regions of Sega rally 2, rayman 2 and skies of arcadia as mine all just crash on starting.

Others that just crash for now are :

house of the dead

Tokyo extreme racer 1 (number 2 plays but pretty slowly)

vanishing point

Hats off to the devs and all involved in this as its frankly amazing to see any of these titles

on the Pandora and to have some of them playable is gob smacking. she is still quite the powerhouse and that's some brilliant coding.

If you can test this new release and compare it the the previous alpha alpha :)
Tested both PNDs you posted today and they seem faster. The sound stuttering is slightly reduced. More sound effects can be heard than before.

I was having a problem with the runscript.sh not remembering file names with spaces and not selecting the previous file as you intended. So I made a few changes to runscript.sh to allow it to handle spaces in file names and automatically select the previous file.

The line changes are to 66, 69, 70, and 74. Here is the diff:

runscript.diff

--- runscript.sh 2013-12-27 09:48:24.000000000 -0500
+++ runscript.sh 2013-12-29 17:27:00.000000000 -0500
@@ -63,15 +63,15 @@
OLDSELECT=""
if [ -e home/.oldfile ];then
CDFILE=`cat home/.oldfile`
- OLDSELECT="--filename=\"$CDFILE\""
+ OLDSELECT=$(basename "${CDFILE}")
fi

- cd $(dirname ${CDFILE})
- CDFILE=`zenity --file-selection $OLDSELECT --file-filter=" "*.cdi" "*.chd" "*.gdi" "*.iso" "`
+ cd "$(dirname "${CDFILE}")"
+ CDFILE=`zenity --file-selection --filename="$OLDSELECT" --file-filter=" "*.cdi" "*.chd" "*.gdi" "*.iso" "`
case $? in
0)
echo "$CDFILE" selected.
- echo "$CDFILE">home/.oldfile;;
+ echo "$CDFILE">$pwd/home/.oldfile;;
1)
echo "No file selected.";;
-1)

I attached the modified runscript.sh.txt. To test it  rename it to runscript.sh (remove the .txt extension) and put it in your  ...pandora/appdata/reicast folder

EDIT: Replaced hard coded path to "/mnt/utmp/reicast' on line 74 with the $pwd variable.

EDIT2: Line 69 should be: cd "$(dirname "${CDFILE}")"

runscript.sh.txt

Attachments

• runscript.sh.txt
    2.6 KB · Views: 230
Hey, I don't know what method you used for shad and shld, but I came up with a nice method to emulate these in ARM once upon a time.

For example, in the case of SHAD Rm,Rn:

ANDS temp, Rm, #0x8000001F
RSBMI temp, temp, #0x80000020
MOVPL Rn, Rn, LSL temp
MOVMI Rn, Rn, ASR temp
For SHLD, of course, replace ASR with LSR.

Edit: Trimmed the quote

Armada crashed on start.

Haven't tried Project Justice.

Shenmue used to start OK with graphical glitches.  With the new rev, it froze at Yokosuka screen.

Back