Right Down To Work!

borgqueenx said:
With hd i ment no compression, good lighted position and 3mp or above. :)
Uhm, you really want huge 8MiB+ bitmaps? :p. Even if I'd want that high quality, lossless compression (==png) never hurts.

Last edited by a moderator:
borgqueenx said:
Shouldhave been clearer sorry. With hd i ment no compression, good lighted position and 3mp or above. :)
So basically nothing to do with HD at all. ;)

Silly advertisers, using HD all over the place.
I kid you not our tumble dryer is called "Vision HD" :blink:

Aninhumer said:
borgqueenx said:
Shouldhave been clearer sorry. With hd i ment no compression, good lighted position and 3mp or above. :)

I saw an ad for sunglasses the other day that were supposed to make the World look HD, as if we couldn't already see the world as such.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Aninhumer said:
borgqueenx said:

I saw an ad for sunglasses the other day that were supposed to make the World look HD, as if we couldn't already see the world as such.

-God Ginrai

I like how showing stuff in slow motion is the same as HD. I'm talking about the adverts they show for it on my SD television.

SomeGuy99 said:
God Ginrai said:
Aninhumer said:
borgqueenx said:

-God Ginrai

I like how showing stuff in slow motion is the same as HD. I'm talking about the adverts they show for it on my SD television.
The sky ones?

But they some how look so good! I just don't get it!

(naw)mcx said:
SomeGuy99 said:
God Ginrai said:
Aninhumer said:
borgqueenx said:

-God Ginrai

The sky ones?

Nah, the ones I saw an ad for had HD in the name, I'm pretty sure. IIRC, they made everything darker, or at least that's what it looked like in the advert.

-God Ginrai

(naw)mcx said:

We should petition for Freeview to be in this spectacular Slowmo-Definition. It is underused!

But seriously, I have debates with people all the time about how much of a con I think HD is. Was television too blurry looking before? How high definition is high enough? If higher resolutions come along in the future, does that make current HD rubbish and blurry? How can you possibly enjoy this awful substandard HD we have to live with at the moment?!

People don't get it when I suggest this is all relative, and a matter of perception. The real image exists in your head, not on the screen. Your brain applies it's own filters when it reaches your image-processing center or whatever you call it.

However, high resolution and 3D need each other. My brain rejects 3D content in low-res, perhaps because the filters aren't there for it... my brain goes 'Hey, why'd the world go all blurry?'

The problem we have in the uk is that sd broadcasts are crammed into small multiplexes where no more than 4-6 channels should be broadcast, but they insist on doubling that leaving us with crappy pixelated digital tv. HD is the same story, just bought a freeview HD box (HD via aeriel) and the pic on channels such as BBC HD live up to it's name..........shite!!

it's very similar to what is happening on the ps3 at the moment, so called HD games being not very HD at all

God Ginrai said:
Nah, the ones I saw an ad for had HD in the name, I'm pretty sure. IIRC, they made everything darker, or at least that's what it looked like in the advert.

-God Ginrai
HD Wraparounds, the sharpest looking glasses around.

And by the way, Firefox crashed at their site when I was double checking. Thanks a lot. ;-)

x68000 said:
The problem we have in the uk is that sd broadcasts are crammed into small multiplexes where no more than 4-6 channels should be broadcast, but they insist on doubling that leaving us with crappy pixelated digital tv. HD is the same story, just bought a freeview HD box (HD via aeriel) and the pic on channels such as BBC HD live up to it's name..........shite!!

it's very similar to what is happening on the ps3 at the moment, so called HD games being not very HD at all

UK broadcasts are all either 720p or 1080i (this includes SkyHD) if you have a 1080p TV the image will be scaled to fit, there are also some TVs out there billed as HD or HD ready but are actually WXGA so again have to rescale the image regardless of the source.

Having said that i'v not seen a pixelated image on a decent TV with either SD Sky or SkyHD though the change of frame rate and refresh rate do take a bit of getting used to

jasay said:
God Ginrai said:

-God Ginrai
HD Wraparounds, the sharpest looking glasses around.

And by the way, Firefox crashed at their site when I was double checking. Thanks a lot. ;-)

Yes, those are the ones! I almost thought about saying HD Vision, but I wasn't sure about the vision part, so I just mentioned that it had HD in the name.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Yes, those are the ones! I almost thought about saying HD Vision, but I wasn't sure about the vision part, so I just mentioned that it had HD in the name.

-God Ginrai
I'm pretty sure they do use that phrase in the advertisement somewhere. Now I'm left trying to figure out why I know this crap when I watch less than 3 hours of TV a week.

SomeGuy99 said:
Was television too blurry looking before?
Yes. It was noticeably blurry. Seriously. It was. Especially for video games.

SD TV was invented back when picture tubes were about 10 inches and people sat on the other side of their living room from them.

How high definition is high enough?
That depends on picture size and viewing distance.

If higher resolutions come along in the future, does that make current HD rubbish and blurry?
Not unless picture size increases dramatically. I can't see that happening, I already use a projector that makes an image significantly larger than even the most expensive TV at Best Buy.

I could do with movies that have a higher frame rate though. Modern feature films have pathetically low frame-rates. It's noticeable in action sequences.

And while I'm wishing for things, I want someone to invent autostereoscopy that's not horrible.

How can you possibly enjoy this awful substandard HD we have to live with at the moment?!
You're trying to draw an analogy to the fact that people enjoyed television before HD. Leaving aside the fact that image sizes tended to be smaller back then, allow me to draw a counter-analogy :

People enjoyed movies before sound. Doesn't mean that sound isn't an important addition to the format.

People don't get it when I suggest this is all relative, and a matter of perception.
Of course it's relative. So what? Everything is relative, but just because things exist on a continuum doesn't mean that the continuum doesn't have a "Good" side and a "Bad" side, even if it's impossible to say exactly where the line is that separates them.

Besides, if you want to go with your "relative" argument, it would have been a long stronger if TV had been invented before the photographic process. Remember before when I said TV was noticeably blurry in the olden days? Exposure to still photographs in magazines, books, family snap-shots, etc probably contributed to that sense. Or perhaps not. Perhaps I was just comparing to reality, who knows. All I know is that I'm glad we finally have TVs that don't look horrible.

The definitions for TVs are Standard Def at 480i, Enhanced Def at 480p, High Def at anything 720p or higher, Full High Def at 1080p. Past that are 2K and 4K, at resolutions that I don't know. TVs and STBs (including DVDs) should've just been able to accept any resolution material... computers which cost much less have been able to do it for ever, but gotta have that several times mark-up!

VRAndy said:
I like HD.

I'm glad you got what you were after. Personally, I never sat down infront of my SD telly and wished it were higher resolution. But hey, that's me. I still use an SD tv! Even with my 360!

It seems that I encounter many people in PAL regions who just don't care about the whole HD thing. :p I'm one of them.

Could it come from the fact that our standard televisions had more lines to begin with, perhaps?

IMHO, HD is something that has an importance that wavers depending on what you use it for. It is always a good thing to have, but not always something so important that you should pay extra just to have it. To tell you the truth, I didn't realize what HD meant until I started watching 720p and 1080p anime that were done well. For video games, it's the same. You might want HD for some games, but I really doubt you need to see the beads of sweat on the football players in Madden. (I remember that being a big selling point in Madden for the 360, I still don't understand why) I don't really miss much watching TV shows in standard definition, especially if they are live action. However, that doesn't mean that I deny that HD is better. Only that it is not necessary, and that you should invest in it only if it truly suits your needs, not because everybody else or the ads tell you that it is the greatest thing since sliced bread.

-God Ginrai

Here's an anecdote for you: Growing up, we had a colour tv in the living room and I had a black&white tv in my bedroom. I would watch the same shows interchangeably on either television, but I only remembered seeing them in full colour.

Yep, my brain filled in the colour for me - even for cartoons and stuff. I don't have a single memory of a tv show in black and white.

Back