Release RVGL - Re-Volt remake

Not really.
It fell smooth. I played a race and it was all good.
Demos are also fine but it's difficult to compare with previous versions.

Hi all :)

@ptitSeb : thanks for this new release. I'll test it on my Rebirth unit and report here ASAP !

EDIT: @ptitSeb : done ! I couldn't see any difference with the previous version (OC @ 825 MHz), the game plays as well as before. The first race is still the slowest of the bunch (~15-20 FPS) IMHO. Explosions (when your car (or your opponents) explodes because of the timed bomb item) bring the FPS counter well below 10 FPS though.

Cheers, Magic Sam

Last edited:
I´ve played a good hour again now and experienced zero problems (CCPandora). Need more training to advance a bit in the championships. I have turned skid marks off, and only very rarely, when explosions happen (turned explosions to "medium"), there are slight slowdowns, hardly noticeable, only when you look for the proverbial hair in the soup :)

I tried this for the first time, with no appdata folder. It offered to download the data, and spent about a couple of minutes doing so apparently successfully, but then it told me to install the data. The download panel also froze after about 15 seconds, but looking inside its appdata folder while it's doing all of that, it is downloading a file called 'rvgt_game_files_music.zip' (or something like that) and that continues to grow. Unfortunately, as soon as it's apparently downloaded fully, it's deleted, and a dialogue box saying 'please install the data' appears.

Edit: I did just try unpacking a zip file I'd obtained separately previously, and it did do a little renaming and patching and then started properly, as far as I can tell - I tried the first level until I was able to not finish last.

Last edited:
I tried this for the first time, with no appdata folder. It offered to download the data, and spent about a couple of minutes doing so apparently successfully, but then it told me to install the data. The download panel also froze after about 15 seconds, but looking inside its appdata folder while it's doing all of that, it is downloading a file called 'rvgt_game_files_music.zip' (or something like that) and that continues to grow. Unfortunately, as soon as it's apparently downloaded fully, it's deleted, and a dialogue box saying 'please install the data' appears.

Edit: I did just try unpacking a zip file I'd obtained separately previously, and it did do a little renaming and patching and then started properly, as far as I can tell - I tried the first level until I was able to not finish last.
Ah thanks for the report, I recheck and fix the download script.

Thanks to Huki, I have uploaded a new version of rvgl PND to the repo.

Compile with the latest source, DreamCast exclusive cars and tracks should now be playable :D

There are also many fixes and improvement in the readme!

Build 09
-------------

• Updated the download data script (less fancy but it works)
  • New build, with latest sources
  • DC tracks and cars should now be available, along with some fixes and improvements

Just tested this out with a fresh appdata folder. Downloading and unpacking by the startup script now works, thanks! The scanner animation did get a bit weird after I brought up deadbeef to pause my music and then hid it again, but it was still downloading, and it did complete successfully, so it's just a graphical weirdness. Once in the game... moar cars! Moar tracks! Hurrah!

New release on the repo, using latest sources.
Note that this version also has support for native GLES2 and OpenGL 2.x shaders.

By default, it still use gl4es and OpenGL 1.5 renderer as it's more conveniant.
Youc an use ES2 backend by putting ".es" file containing "2" in appdata/rvgl
also, you can switch renderer profile by messing with rvgl.ini file. Use Profile (0=legacy, 1=modern GL, 2= ES) and Shader (0: no shader/GLES1.1, 1: shaders/GLES2 ) entry to switch...

Build 10
-------------

• New build, with latest sources
  • Updated libs

Last edited:
Last edited:
Back