Samarost 2

ToastBucket

Very Active Member
I was wondering if there was some way to play Samorost 2 (from the Humble Indie Bundle) and games like it on the Pandora. I'm pretty sure that these games use flash, but I'm not sure. I know that the Pandora doesn't have a flash player, but is there some application that can run .html files that already is or can be ported to the Pandora?

Last edited by a moderator:
"Games like it", is very vague. First off, from what I gather Samarost 2 is closed source, so any modification to the actual program itself is probably out of the question unless the developer made it open source or (unlikely) decided to port it. Secondly, using a web-browser to open html files or not, if the software requires flash to run, there's no way around it!

In the meantime, do check out the Wiki, that may answer other questions you have.

Didn't the source code get released on one or two of the Humble Indie games after they reached some sort of milestone with regards to the amount of money they received?

Gnash 0.8.8 (latest from git) is able to play samorost 1 and 2.

The latest gnash in the angstrom repo is unfortunately 0.8.5 ( http://www.angstrom-distribution.org/repo/?pkgname=gnash ). It exits with a segfault when loading samorost 1 on the pandora :(

If anyone can package the latest gnash for pandora, I could test again (here's hoping that someday, I'll be able to compile/package stuff myself :p )

Oh nice, Gnash seems to be exactly what I'm looking for. And what I mean by "games like it" is games that need you to open an html file to play them. I guess that means flash games? Can applications only be ported to the Pandora if they're in the Angstrom repository? or does that just make it easier?

Didn't the source code get released on one or two of the Humble Indie games after they reached some sort of milestone with regards to the amount of money they received?

According to wikipedia, it was Penumbra, Lugaru, and Gish. Although Aquaria has also been GPL'd.

P.S. I haven't played Gish yet, but the image of the protagonist reminded me of a game on Newgrounds called "Spewer." Turns out it's developed by the same guy.

Samarost 2 bugged me, I don't know if those kind of games aren't for me but without a walkthrough I would never even know what to click on. It was a pretty game though, it just wasn't that fun for me to play since without a walkthrough it would have been impossible.

Back in the day these point and click adventures you had to go to the street(playground) to talk to kids who got past it. That was fun, now with the internet it is just looking up walkthroughs, not nearly as fun and you don't feel like you accomplished anything.

Samarost 2 bugged me, I don't know if those kind of games aren't for me but without a walkthrough I would never even know what to click on. It was a pretty game though, it just wasn't that fun for me to play since without a walkthrough it would have been impossible.

Back in the day these point and click adventures you had to go to the street(playground) to talk to kids who got past it. That was fun, now with the internet it is just looking up walkthroughs, not nearly as fun and you don't feel like you accomplished anything.

I really liked the ambient music and the story. It was a little bit confusing, but I didn't feel the puzzles (Not really puzzles but I don't know what to call them) were exceedingly difficult. The things that really got me were the parts that needed you to time your clicks right. I wasn't expecting timing to be necessary in a game like that.

Also, is Machinarium also a flash game that could be played through Gnash?

Adventure games have a logic of their own that you just have to get used to. Once you do, you won't have to resort to walkthroughs; you'll solve things by thinking them through. It's a great feeling when it happens. Took me years until I figured out that thinking things through is almost always more effective and satisfying than just randomly clicking on things until they work. Samorost 2 (while a very nice game) is a strange one, though, because there are some puzzles in it that rely on things that are well-known to people in the Czech Republic, but not countries that are far away from it. I figured out the first part of the game on my own, but some puzzles in the last (paid) half either were based on pixel-hunting for exactly the right spot to click (which is just cheap), or used things that I hadn't seen before and so couldn't figure out... the puzzle of filling up the taxi's gas tank being one of those.

Machinarium is indeed also a Flash game. However, I'm not sure why you'd want to play it on the Pandora. The Pandora's screen resolution is far too small to do it justice.

I guess I am just immpatient. The old ones seemed easier to figure out than Samarost 2. Maybe I'll download Machinarium and really try with it. I haven't even downloaded it yet.

Having played Machinarium before Samarost 1 & 2, I feel they're beautiful, but short and frustrating. There's basically zero replay value, and only about an hour of play in the both of them from the outset. Machinarium was brilliant, though, but no portable could ever do it justice.

Fully agreed with the taxi cab gas tank in Samarost 2, not only was that whole bit freakin' surreal, but the game suddenly needed quick and precise reactions to pull off the refuelling... I failed, hard.

I can't fathom how that stuff is well known to people in the Czech Republic.

Back