Scummvm For The Gp32 0.5.1 - Scummy Alpha

This might not be quite on topic, but I just tried "Monkey Island" for Amiga on ScummVM for GP32, and it didn't have any sound. I was wondering if there are any plans for mod-support?

Well, I guess that was the reason for the lacking sound anyway... I might be wrong

i did that CMD thig n i typed in "c:\>scumvm\extract.exe --vorbis monster.sou"

n it ses

"cannot open file: monster.sou"

did i do it wrong?

do monster.sou, extract.exe in one folder. then run the "cmd thing".
that should take veerrrrryyyy long and after ca. 2h (1,7ghz, 256mb ram) you have a 81mb monster.sog file.

ps: better read readme before asking ppl ;) (sry if im wrong)

no games have crashed on me. DOTT works fine just i didn't get sound cause i had it converted onto mp3 not ogg. doing that tonight but it works. the 156mhz is fine too i carn't gett 166mhz to work though (my gp) maniac mansion goes fastboth the normal and enhanced version. looked throught soucre and decided to leave it till next release to help on it. code to messy to understand at the moment. keep the good work though. how about changing it from a back end to a gp32 sdl libary. see what that does. i think that would speed it up. i'm going to see if it can when i get in from college

Spaz O Mataz,

SDL will not speed it up trust me ;). I spent some time working on a new GP32 SDL backend to end up binning it in favour of Ph0x's existing backend with an overhaul. The speed is just not good enough (or remotely playable) after you have the ScummVM engine loaded. Not a fault of SDL in the slightest but it is the same reason the WinCE port does not use SDL but a custom backend, pure grunt on slower hardware. If you have better luck then me doing it then let me know, I would be very impressed and like to see it as it would make the port easier to look after.

Ringo,

There are no plans for MOD support (The Scumm games never used MOD's) or any other features that are not in ScummVM itself really. ScummVM 0.5.1 did not support sound in the Amiga versions so this port does not either. I think Amiga sound support is in the newer versions of ScummVM so it should get built in at some point.

k, thanks for the answer. I just figured all music for the Amiga was .mod, and since there wasn't any music, I thought that was the reason...

Ofcause I should had realised that, since it wasn't JUST the music that was missing - but sound in general...

A well, Live and learn :p

Ringo,

Mea Culpa :(,

I have to humbly apologise, for Monkey Island 1 on the Amiga the sound was in fact a TFMX Mod and it is not supported in ScummVM at all even in the newer versions (apparently it is a bitch to implement as the only open source code is a mess currently).

I don't know what format the sound files for the other Amiga Scumm games are.

I blame being an ST fan boy on my lack of knowledge when it comes to all things Amiga ;).

Not ALL music for the is MOD...
Monkey Island has TFMX ;)

EDIT: Ahh, you were a bit faster DjWillis ;)

BTW:
Does anybody know where I can buy the CD version of Monkey Island 1 and the talkie version of Indy 4? I've been looking desperately for ages and couldn't find them...

Are there more enhanced versions besides Indy 4, Monkey 1, Loom and ZakMcKracken (for FMTowns)?

This is really a excelent piece of work! I haven't seen any bug yet (well i've only played Monkey Island 1 yet :p). This beta is a litle bit faster than the beta you send me long ago (at least for the non-audio part since i'm to lazy to convert my audio files :D, I still have the Monkey island 2 audio files on my PC but it takes really long to transfer them to my GP32).
I'll give the audio a try asap and try some other games :D

Keep up the good work :D

ok, I did some testing on real hardware with french versions.

DOTT: mouse cursor is slow and scrolling is too (same with other VGA games), otherwise it works just fine
Indy 3: doesn't launch, black screen. Any chance with english version?
Indy 4: same problem as DOTT
Monkey 1: no music, maybe a problem with my version. I'll test more this one.
Monkey 2: same as DOTT
Zak and Maniac Mansion: Fine cursor speed (because of EGA?), ASCII problems. Music si strange (maybe adlib? is there any soundblaster music in those?)

that's all for now.

testing french games part 2:

Sam & Max: the slowest cursor I've ever seen on GPScumm, + same problem of scrolling than with DOTT
BASS: won't even find the game in directory. will do more testing on this one too.

Ok, about indy 3 not launching, it was my bad. didn't selected 256 colors version =) now it runs but it crash while speaking to donovan. any one else got this?
by the way my version is a translated one (non-official), maybe that's why it crashes.

about Loom CD, got a bug with the staff animation. when playing music with it, sometimes stars animation freeze and stars stays on the staff (unfinnished animation)

maniac mansion and zak seem to miss some music compare to PC ScummVM version. anyone else detect this problem?

haven't seen mention yet of The Dig - just tested it, seems to be working so far

the files i am using for The Dig are : dig.la0 (16kb) and dig.la1 (87mbs)

the cd i have for The Dig (got it on one of those lucasarts packs as well) has got a 255mb file for music and a 128mb file for voice, great on the pc but no chance i guess on the gp.. unless 512 cards can be used one day..

don't know if the sound files could be ogged - they are .bun files, havent tried

there's also video cutscenes on the cd - 170mbs

with that said, there is still sound on the dig - the sound effects are in the files - so this seems to be another sweet bit of scumm for the gp

didn't find the dig anywhere yet, so I can't test it. did you try encoding sound and music with the extract tool? even if it's not a monster.sou file it might work. give it a try =)

Magic Knight,

I had no idea The Dig would even work :D. That's cool!

Fanck,

Thanks for the feedback. My English Indy 3 works fairly well (past the point it crashed for you) but I have not played it for a while.

Fanck

convert digvoice.bun - bad sou
rename and convert digvoice.sou - bad sou
rename to monster.sou and convert - still a bad sou

sam&max converted for me fine so i think it's the filetype

the tools dont mention .bun files - no point me trying the 255mb music file but voice would have been nice, if a bit of a squeeze !

.bun convertor anywhere ?

Back