Should I Get The Wiz Or Orginial Gp2x?

klikklak said:
OT: GPH is notorious in some circles for being remote and inaccessible. I'm pretty sure they'd be here IF they spoke english enough. There was one thread they followed when the Wiz was announced. And good thing (and kudos to craig for pushing this) they did because they changed the dual dpad thing to dpad+ separated buttons layout due to talks with distributors and the forum.
Rather, they changed it because EvilDragon adamantly insisted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh it was EvilDragon's accomplishment? You can almost hear my approval rating of EvilDragon rise. Anyway, I thought he was just included in 'with distributors'...

edit: acronyms expanded

stonestn said:
Go with the wiz if you look at ebays current prices on the f-200 they are fetching 159.00 - 199.99 plus shipping wiz preorder 179.00 add a sd card plus shipping and your looking at around 209.00. So for the price why buy something second hand that has been used hard for 10 dollars less than you can get a brand new device and its only inless the time line changes 4 more weeks till the first batch ships!!
Gonna go ahead and pre-order a Wiz myself from Play-Asia. Thought about the GP2X but the prices are out there IMHO and I really want no part of a used system. Hopefully the release doesn't get pushed back again on the Wiz...

Exophase said:
klikklak said:
OT: GPH is notorious in some circles for being remote and inaccessible. I'm pretty sure they'd be here IF they spoke english enough. There was one thread they followed when the Wiz was announced. And good thing (and kudos to craig for pushing this) they did because they changed the dual dpad thing to dpad+ separated buttons layout due to talks with distributors and the forum.
Rather, they changed it because EvilDragon adamantly insisted.

And all the people with prototype Wiz's saying the same things.

Exophase said:
geise69 said:
One thing I've been reading about the Wiz and the screen is the screen tearing. I know vsync would fix these issues, but for emulation it would more than likely slow the emu down some. That's not necessarily a good thing since it really doesn't seem that the Wiz is that much faster from the last comparisons that I've seen. However this was with mmuhacks, crazy gp2x optimizations, and so on. The Wiz emus running from what I have heard haven't been optimized at all. If you want something a tad smaller and don't have huge hands wait for a Wiz. I'm still planning on getting one. The build quality seems so much better so it will be a nice replacement for my GP2X. Plus I don't care if some are saying the controlls are cramped. The Wiz already looks like it has 10x better controlls than the GP2X. That stick is the devil if you're a fan of fighting games or shootem ups. Hell even going through gmenu or the regular gp2x menu could be a pain sometimes.
The Wiz has a particular kind of diagonal screen tearing that's not related to vsync and is some kind of bug in the hardware or software setup (hasn't been determined yet). Running in 240x320 mode fixes this, but it has its own overheads in getting the right images out at that.

Waiting for vsync doesn't cost anything on the Wiz if you use N-buffering (more than single buffering). The hardware even shadows the registers so the modifications are only updated at vsync if you do things correctly. I'm not sure if this happened on the GP2X or not (I would guess yes since I didn't get any tearing and I was never waiting for vsync in Temper), but it's more deliberate here.

The version of Temper I have for Wiz right now is as optimized as the GP2X version.

I agree that the controls are much better than the original F100. I can't comment on the F200. F100 with a good dpad mod beats Wiz though, IMO.

A bit OT but is there any chance that a Wiz version of Temper that has bugfixes (Exile bug etc) will be back ported to the old GP2X, or is that a dead platform for you at this time?

I just sold my GP2X F200 at a very respectable £150 on ebay. Although it was a great console, I only had the cash for a crappy battery charger, which took 13 hours to charge my AA's; for 3 hours play, it became irritating. I'm not actually that arsed about how much more powerful the Wiz is than the F200; I'm getting it because I would be able to play it while its charging and not mess around with any more AA batteries, so I can get my Donkey Kong Country on in style. Although, I am holding out for mario all-stars fullspeed with transparencies (the green sky really bugs me, I am pedantic about such things). :D

'DaveC' said:
A bit OT but is there any chance that a Wiz version of Temper that has bugfixes (Exile bug etc) will be back ported to the old GP2X, or is that a dead platform for you at this time?
Late, but yes, it'll be released on GP2X and Pandora. Wiz helped me fix that little bug that I recently introduced that I couldn't really debug on GP2X. There's are still another couple things I want to try before I go ahead with a release, but if they don't make it then I won't be unhappy releasing anything.

I sent you a build anyway (has that one bug - see if you can find what it is! It won't come up most of the time...) but as a special bonus yours has the CPU running in debug step mode which is a huge performance penalty. It's also the same build I used personally and although it slowed down sometimes it was pretty rare. It's just that fast >_>

Back