Silence!

Back when I first installed noscript, it felt like a little extra work to get the internet to work well on my devices for a small benefit. Nowadays, judging by you lot, it enables me to skip a lot of the crud that would kill my ancient machines and make the internet a lot nicer place to spend time.

Back when I first installed noscript, it felt like a little extra work to get the internet to work well on my devices for a small benefit. Nowadays, judging by you lot, it enables me to skip a lot of the crud that would kill my ancient machines and make the internet a lot nicer place to spend time.
I don't use noscript, but I do use Firefox's JavaScript setting to shut down scripts on really bad websites. That let's me get the best of both worlds.

Debian (the latest one without systemd, I believe 7). When the support for debian without systemd ends, debian will get out, NetBSD will get in.

You might want to give Alpine Linux a go. I use it on almost all my machines. (Have 1 machine with Ubuntu 16.04 for games)
It uses musl-libc and not glibc. systemd is very reliant on glibc specific features, so systemd will never work on musl-libc based distro's.
It also sheds a good amount of bloat by not using glibc. It is the way to go for older / less powerful CPUs.

You get the advantage of good hardware support from the Linux kernel, while user space should be on par with NetBSD or likely even better.

https://alpinelinux.org/about/

There is a beauty in the simplicity of Alpine IMHO.
[doublepost=1520455018,1520452461][/doublepost]
In this book http://www.agner.org/optimize/microarchitecture.pdf about x86 code optimization there are info about some Atom CPU which can't do memory operations out-of-order. (From http://www.agner.org/optimize/ )

Thanks for the link. It is very interesting info.

Last edited:
Debian (the latest one without systemd, I believe 7). When the support for debian without systemd ends, debian will get out, NetBSD will get in.
I think you must not know of Devuan,, a non-systemd debian
So far , seems OK, a few minor rough edges
It IS possible to convert a debian install into devuan,
you have to do it very carefully and exactly right

Or even worse - Adobe Flash Player -only- websites.

Wasn't HTML 5 supposed to eliminate the need for Javascript & Adobe Flash?

Not in the slightest. HTML is merely a means to describe the content of a page. It does not provide functionality whatsoever. That is provided by Javascript. (or plugins like Flash and Java) HTML5 merely provided new semantic elements to better describe content, as well as some new elements for media for the browser to use to show Rich content. Additionally, with HTML5, the DOM and APIs were internalized as part of the HTML specification. However, those are specifically meant to be used by Javascript.

The "HTML5 eliminates Flash" mantra became popular because you could do most things that were possible with Flash using HTML5 and JS. (Games using canvas tag + JS, and videos using the aforementioned media tags)

-God Ginrai

Noscript lets me enable video objects but disable javascript, thus I suspect they're different components of the browser. But that's all I really know about it - I've not really played with those options much.

Of course. Video in HTML5 is just a player that the browser implements and inserts in that plays the video the tag specifies. That's a built-in feature of the browser. This is also why browsers don't all support the same video formats.

-God Ginrai

You might want to give Alpine Linux a go. I use it on almost all my machines. (Have 1 machine with Ubuntu 16.04 for games)
It uses musl-libc and not glibc. systemd is very reliant on glibc specific features, so systemd will never work on musl-libc based distro's.
It also sheds a good amount of bloat by not using glibc. It is the way to go for older / less powerful CPUs.

I think you must not know of Devuan,, a non-systemd debian
So far , seems OK, a few minor rough edges
It IS possible to convert a debian install into devuan,
you have to do it very carefully and exactly right

Thanks to both of you. Devuan I've unsuccessfully tried to install on my main production machine some time ago (it runs Gentoo now after considerable effort), and I've decided to have a look later. Alpine linux I didn't know, looks interesting for smallish embeddis things. But NetBSD still remains an option, it's the most beautifully designed OS I've seen so far. --Speaking of NetBSD: I'm willing to sponsor one Pyra device for a developer to port NetBSD to Pyra (dualboot Pyra would be great :)).

FWIW, I couldn't get any of the demos there to run from the web not enabling javascript. I ended up cloning the demo repo and launching the newest demo directly (which enables javascript by default), and that at least provided a grid I could put 1's in, although the buttons I could use to advance the simulation didn't appear. It also was very slow and caused my fans to spin up to full, so I doubt it's something they could use surreptitiously at least on my machines.

Aaaaand it's time for a newspost - it will be a short one (as I'm even more flooded with work than usual), but I hope you'll like it :)

1. The cases

Finally, a set of the case with changes is on the way to me.
It has EVERYTHING included (so we'll get to see the final logo aluminium plate as well).

Once I've received it (I don't know which courier they used to ship it, so I have no clue yet when they will arrive), we will find out whether all the remaining issues have been taken care of.
So basically: The stylus holder and the shoulder buttons and a few more smaller tweaks.
I'll do an unboxing video once I receive it - and we'll find out right away how it turned out!
Let's cross our fingers that the case odyssey will then be over!

I know you're busy and the unboxing video itself can wait. But - did the box itself arrive without being crushed, lit on fire, drowned, soaked in caustic chemicals, stuck on the wrong side of an erupting volcano, or run through a wood chipper? (Trying to cover all of the bases - for some reason cases are disaster magnets.)

I know you're busy and the unboxing video itself can wait. But - did the box itself arrive without being crushed, lit on fire, drowned, soaked in caustic chemicals, stuck on the wrong side of an erupting volcano, or run through a wood chipper? (Trying to cover all of the bases - for some reason cases are disaster magnets.)

You forgot to mention a news-zombie attack :p

I thought a car could drive over them without breaking the plastic... At least that's what I remember from a video... I shouldn't have to worry about couriers breaking the cases...

Yeah, but it's quite a long way by road from Greece to Germany. I'd pay a courier rather than drive that myself any day.

Edit: I'd misread 'drive over them' as 'drive them over'. Sorry about that!

Last edited:
I thought a car could drive over them without breaking the plastic... At least that's what I remember from a video... I shouldn't have to worry about couriers breaking the cases...
I thought that also, but didn't ED get told that one box of cases for crushed in shipping?

The prototypes and all cases received thus far are made from dodgy plastic somehow; I recall some were made out of plastic gunk that's too viscous, and didn't fill the moulds properly, and there were probably other shortcuts taken with pre-release level plastics. I can't remember the details, but I thing all cases received before this latest batch were made out of inferior stuff somehow. And the demo was an engineer standing on a sample of a curved and ribbed bottle shaped thing that looked thicker than our pyra, so it's quite possible out finished pyra cases may not survive being stamped on, and almost certainly wouldn't like being driven over by a vehicle weighing over a tonne.

To add to that, ED seems to still want to switch over to the other plastic company after fulfilling the contract for the 500 or so clear cases. If they do indeed add the fiberglass it should strengthen it some, although I don't think I would try driving over my Pyra. So future cases should be more durable than this first batch, and the stronger ones, as I understand it, are the ones that will ship with mass production units. That still doesn't mean that they could withstand being smashed by a shipping container or survive an encounter if they are being stalked by an angry volcano.

Back