Size Matters

timbur666

Still Fresh
It's a week-old post, but I really enjoyed this from Kevin Tofel about why he dumped the iPad for the Galaxy Tab. It's the same reason why I (will) love the form factor of the Pandora, only even more so, since the Pandora will fit in my pants pocket.

http://gigaom.com/mobile/why-i-just-dumped-the-ipad-hint-size-matters/

(I'm ignoring the fact that both the iPad and Tab have 3G options. If this becomes too important to me, I might add tethering to my iPhone contract, or get a MiFi or something. No matter what, you are paying for the 3G data on those other devices.)

On a not-really-related topic, I'm currently selling my iPad. It's a great device, but it's been taking dust on a shelf for the last couple of months. I simply have no use for it except installing stuff on it, I never even use what I installed.

Last edited by a moderator:
On a not-really-related topic, I'm currently selling my iPad. It's a great device, but it's been taking dust on a shelf for the last couple of months. I simply have no use for it except installing stuff on it, I never even use what I installed.
That was completely on topic.

Yeah, I've held off on getting tablet because they look too unwieldy to take anywhere and I don't want to carry a murse. My DSi XL screen is too small to do any Internet browsing though, hopefully the larger Pandora screen with higher rez will be more to my liking.

Honestly the whole tablet thing... I just don't get it. I think an ebook reader would be the most tablet-ish device I would get. I don't see the practicality of tablets. Can someone enlighten me?

Honestly the whole tablet thing... I just don't get it. I think an ebook reader would be the most tablet-ish device I would get. I don't see the practicality of tablets. Can someone enlighten me?

Ok here how it goes, Netbooks are popular.. there small easy to carry around and functional.. Steve Jobs missed the boat on it. He then proclaimes your not hip and cool if you don't have.. pulls random old tech that never caught on out of a hat.. a Tablet PC.. Put an i in front of Pad and forget that MadTV joke.. AND TADA! Now your hip and cool and superior to all those netbook users.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ok here how it goes, Netbooks are popular.. there small easy to carry around and functional.. Steve Jobs missed the boat on it. He then proclaimes your not hip and cool if you don't have.. pulls random old tech that never caught on out of a hat.. a Tablet PC.. Put an i in front of Pad and forget that MadTV joke.. AND TADA! Now your hip and cool and superior to all those netbook users.
Man, I wish I could take something that wasn't popular and make it more popular than the thing I felt left out about. And have piles and piles of money to boot.

Wait, I thought it was made because Steve's eyes were getting bad and he couldn't use his iPhone any more.

I had a Compaq Tablet PC back in like 2003, and it was pretty cool because I could handwrite on it. For that to really work, it has to be a digitizer touch panel, and you won't be able to use ordinary objects or even fingers on it, but it's actually useful, unlike capacitive multi-touch.

So I don't know why they got rid of the best feature, and got rid of the PC-style operating system and brought it back. To make money on stupid shit again, I guess.

I think Apple and Google have proven that there is a bigger market in tablets for a non desktop OS. I can see this, they don't have a keyboard and mouse and need to be held with one hand 99% of the time so a standard desktop OS won't work.

I think if way back when this same thing was done when tablets were new then they would have been a hit. Back then it was just windows, not modified at all, so it is not surprising that they had a very small market. Plus when you have a device this small that does not have that much power and put an OS on it that needs antivirus slowing it down to a crawl that never helps either.

Personally, I've got a Netbook as in the Asus Eee PC 900, and it's great, the size couldn't be any smaller without making serious adjustments. I've also got my Nook, which is the right size for an ebook reader. It's easy to read and I don't have any trouble navigating. Plus it fits conveniently in my coat pocket.

Back