Smallest PC in the world?

patrick295767

Hi,

I was thinking to buy another small size PC such as either the EEE PC or the HPC MINI.

They mention that they are quite similar 

in terms of size and performances: http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20111003220745AAcWq81

I need a good keyboard to type. 

Ideally for me a smaller than EEE PC and HPC Mini would be great since it would be fitting into the pocket, with similar size below: 

Dimensions 170 × 90 × 23 millimetres Weight 354 grams (battery included)

Anyhow, what would you choose such as a EEE PC or HPC MINI, or  other alternative mini PC ?

Thank you for your comments and hints.

Pat'

Last edited by a moderator:
Netbooks are not a thing anymore. What you want is a tablet. Dell venue 8 pro is a full fledged x86 windows pc that will fit in your pocket.

Then it's not the smallest PC in the world that your searching, but a really small, light and useable laptop.

You should seriously rephrase that title, please.

Moreover it's the third topic you're posting about small pocketable computers, you should probably re-use one of those instead of making a new one everytime you change slightly what you're searching for…

If you love terminal apps + linux Ben NanoNote is the way you go :D
We already told him about the nanonote in his previous topics.http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/14075-light-handheld-with-lcd-linux-and-keyboard/?p=267763

http://boards.openpandora.org/topic/13813-searching-a-160-grams-linux-based-handheld/?p=260673

See why you should re-use your previous topics? It would avoid that kind of situations!

Netbooks are not a thing anymore. What you want is a tablet. Dell venue 8 pro is a full fledged x86 windows pc that will fit in your pocket.

"I need a good keyboard to type. " should be a keyboard integrated to the mini notebook

so that you can work anywhere and anytime. You take the machine from your pocket and can work

A screen of approximated size would be ideal:  140mm x  55mm

If you love terminal apps + linux Ben NanoNote is the way you go  :D
Many thanks. I check it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ben_NanoNote

I have some doubts regarding hte keyboard of hte nanonote. I couldnt find one on ebay. 

I have already a Zaurus 3xxx series, but the keyboard is much too small to type long documents. I have too big  fingers :(

Well, it is correct. 

The smallest PC in the world is not the pandora ;)

A pc might be a notebook, probably. 

I dont know. I don't consider the Pandora as a regular pc, but more as a gadget. 

"We already told him about the nanonote in his previous topics."

Desolating ... no single PC or device has been found by the user.

That's a long quest as you may see. 

If you have any light pc ideas, please do not hesitate. 

I am checking now your links... 

Many thanks

I've still got my EEEPC 10". I upgraded the ram from a 1GB to a 4GB stick (though the BIOS doesn't support 64bit mode, despite some sites saying it does, maybe a revision thing), so I've got a 3GB RAM 10" device with a keyboard, Windows 7, and 180GB HDD (I think), and a nice development machine :)

I don't consider the Pandora as a regular pc, but more as a gadget.
You're not on the right forum to write that kind of thing…Pandora isn't a PC? Well, you can plug almost any USB device as long as it has linux drivers, you can run various distros : angstrom, debian, slackware and others, you can dev (write code and compile it), you can write text on LaTex, libre office, …

I don't know what you call a Personal Computer (PC) but for most of the people, pandora does fit the term quite nicely.

…Maybe you should stop spamming this forum about this and start searching for your potential device on another one…

I don't consider the Pandora as a regular pc, but more as a gadget.
You're not on the right forum to write that kind of thing…
Pandora isn't a PC? Well, you can plug almost any USB device as long as it has linux drivers, you can run various distros : angstrom, debian, slackware and others, you can dev (write code and compile it), you can write text on LaTex, libre office, …

I don't know what you call a Personal Computer (PC) but for most of the people, pandora does fit the term quite nicely.

…Maybe you should stop spamming this forum about this and start searching for your potential device on another one…
Hey, KodeIn , theres no need to be harsh. 

I feel a little fanboy'ism in this reply. 

I also feel that OP isnt perfect in many ways. Imho it isnt fit well for doing all-round PC stuff [and just because we have latex[lyx] + libreoffice it doesnt change anything], because of small LCD and 1/3 big keyboard, however its best as pocket pc for people on the move + emu enthusiasts. 

EDIT:

Maybe we will find some hardcore users that uses OP as a main device to run and connect with own company, but please. Laptop will not be replaced by OP, thats for sure.

The Pandora sure does not replace a full laptop - a big screen and a keyboard suitable for 10-finger typing obviously has its advantages.

It does however replace those small netbooks / pocket computers, because those also don't have the screen area and keyboard comfort of a full laptop.

Hey, KodeIn , theres no need to be harsh.
It's the third time he comes with almost the same question, it's getting on my nerves.
I agree, Pandora isn't perfect and cannot replace a full-sized laptop or a desktop, but it's a fully qualified Personal Computer it does :

Web, text edition, coding, compiling, mail, instant messenger, games, music player, music maker and many more…

@patrick295767, If EvilDragon puts a bit more thought in the keyboard in the successor then I think it may be just your device.. my guess right now nothing fits your bill, from the sounds the Pandora sans keyboard is almost your device.

However for me the Pandora is everything I need in a small device, sure I'm not writing papers or tons of code on it directly on it.. But for a small computing device it's better than a netbook in my mind. 

BT-keyboards work fine out of the box with Pandora and it IS the smallest complete PC afaik,

so maybe the title of the thread is incorrect.

The Pandora sure does not replace a full laptop - a big screen and a keyboard suitable for 10-finger typing obviously has its advantages.

It does however replace those small netbooks / pocket computers, because those also don't have the screen area and keyboard comfort of a full laptop.
It's not some binary thing. I have a marginally easier time programming my 15" laptop than my 11" Chromebook, which I can program on noticeably better than on my old 10" Eee. But that was still tremendously better for typing than my Pandora. I expect an even older 7" or 8" netbook to still be a lot easier to type on than a Pandora.

Of course - the larger, the more comfortable. A desktop pc with a full keyboard and dual 23" monitors is even better than any laptop.

The original question however was to get recommendations for computers that are as small as possible (similar to "Dimensions 170 × 90 × 23 millimetres Weight 354 grams (battery included)"). The Pandora is a device that fits that description better than any netbook or laptop.

Omg, If you need a small PC for a serious work/computing/typing/whatever, just get yourself a Thinkpad - X series laptop. 

If you insist to a pocket foam factor,just get your self Galaxy Note 3 or wait for the Pandora successor (the one with the LTE module in it).

It is simple as that.

EDIT: yeah Note 3 does not have hardware keyboard but its very comfortable to type with two hands on vertical mode, or just use the f*cking stylus.   :)

*ahem* If you have large pockets the Note 8.0 is superb as an ultra mobile computing device. I think I touch type easier with this than I do using the pandora keyboard. I'm just a bit bummed I never got an ICP2 to pair with it.

Gimp and inkscape absolutely suck on it which I can't understand... hopefully the ports will be drastically improved. Clover paint is a dream to use though.

I'm no dev, so all I really miss is full photoshop. I'll be keeping my eye on the Surface Pro series... may get one in a year or two depending...

@patrick295767, If EvilDragon puts a bit more thought in the keyboard in the successor then I think it may be just your device.. my guess right now nothing fits your bill, from the sounds the Pandora sans keyboard is almost your device.

However for me the Pandora is everything I need in a small device, sure I'm not writing papers or tons of code on it directly on it.. But for a small computing device it's better than a netbook in my mind. 
Thank you.

Currently I am typing my documents, like in the past, on my Psion Serie 5. ;)

I have tried, I think, most of all PDA's ;) I got a Zaurus 3100, Psion's, Sharp's, ... and the OP 1Ghz (Pandora).

I have surely done a lot lot lot of work with the Pandora, but mostly for C++ coding.

If I have to write articles, I simply take the Psion S5mx. It is simply much more comfortable to type, ... and it still fits into your pocket or fits a small carrying case.

In my case, the OP is more or less fine for coding but not very well adapted for long documents and writing, I still prefer the psion keyboard. The OP is designed to be a cross between the gaming and office device (so that's normal. It is implicitely known.).

// Besides I got also some mini PCs, such as the hpc mini. I have too a thinkpad. Those are ok for typing, but won't fit the size of the OP ;) I skip the tablet/Android. If I have a big meeting or to work a lot at the airport, I choose either the mini pc or thinkpad.

So, that's a review.

You know, the problem is travelling (depending where from the jungle ;) to the plane) and keeping your data and your small size machine with you.

Well, the OP is definitely one of the smallest PC-like device. (Actually my Zaurus running Debian is a little bit smaller than the OP, but ok. )

Back