So Lets Descuss What Is Good Abount The Pandoras Clam Design.

idjit626

1:It will keep the screen from getting scratched! :lol:
2:You can play it at work and when someone is coming close it and hide it quickly!

Now it is your turn...

ive mentioned this before---when it is closed with a usb controller plugged in and a tv out cable coming out of it it will look awesome... just a tiny black box full of power like a mini home console all sleek and perfect. The gp2x is all exposed with a million adapters and the screen is scratchable and it looks awful when in tv out/usb mode but a clamshell is the perfect design for something that will be used like this.

Saves needing a case -- just throw it in a pocket or bag and go.

Prevents dust(!) in the controls.

No need to wank around sliding out a flimsy keyboard when you want access to extra controls.

Close it to use as a well-protected MP3 player. I use my DS this way because of the clamshell, but I don't use my GP2X for it.

Easier to sit it on a desk and use if typing.

Doesn't need a stand for comfy video playback.

That last reason also likely makes it easier for devs to debug programs.

Makes it suitable to double as an alarm clock.

Probably better design when it comes to keeping it from getting too warm, since all the circuit boards aren't stack on top of each other.

I guess it makes for playing at a better eye-level, as head doesn't have to be as far down as, say, the gp2x.

Makes non-informed people think I have the smallest fully functional laptop after at first thinking it was just a DS when its closed.

If you really can't wait for the Pandora, have money to burn and want to know the many joys of owning a powerful, hackable, clamshell computer

a) Buy a Zaurus SL-c3000 and a good USB game pad

B ) Install the pdaXii13 OS as well as gngeo, psx4zaurus, hatari, mess etc. (Firefox, mplayer, amule, Abiword etc are already pre-installed)

c) Show off to your friends how great it is to have a full Linux desktop computer and gaming device that fits in your pocket and point out that they'll be able to get something more powerful, with a joystick built in and video out for less money and no risky e-baying involved within months!

I should point out that the Zaurus c3x00 series will still remain cool even after Pandora's release because they have a better keyboard (dedicated TAB, CTRL, ALT, ESC keys etc) and they also have d-pad alike directional arrows so you can still get away with using its keyboard for some types of game without plugging any USB pads in. The Z also has a 4 or 6GB internal MD which you can upgrade to 64GB if you're loaded! In fact, because of its superior keyboard many might argue the Zaurus will still remain the best pocket computer for those who aren't interested in gaming or video playback.

I don't want to put down the Pandora mind, its just that I've been privileged in getting to play with the Zaurus c3x00 series and I feel somebody needs to represent those fine machines around these parts as when we got our c3000 it was as important to me as getting my C64 or Amiga 500 and I'm sure many others will feel this way about the pand as they missed out on the Z. I'll be putting a pre-order in for my pand as I want to get one on the day or at least week of release, what with me being one of Lancashire's leading Linux promoters n' that ;)

Does everything people have asked (bar component/VGA/DVI etc. but there are good reasons for that), and packs in a rather large battery from what we're led to believe.

And DaveC says the controls feel good. If there's anyone I trust to be as pessimistic as possible regarding controls feeing good, it's DaveC, ergo, they must feel good!

It doesn't look too games-consoley to be used in e.g. a lecture.

EDIT: Forgot to add: The pixel density is almost double that of my desktop monitor! This is actually a slightly staggering thought, I find...

The issue with controls as far as the clamshell design goes is the touch screen, it won't be practical to use it in this format. Aside from that it looks pretty good.

teggun said:
The issue with controls as far as the clamshell design goes is the touch screen, it won't be practical to use it in this format. Aside from that it looks pretty good.
It is perfectly usable, you just hold the underside of the device, you have to understand how small the pandora is.

OR if you want to be really odd about your touch screen usage, turn the pandora on its side/upside down etc. until you have it just how you want it :D

Last edited by a moderator:
craigix said:
It is perfectly usable, you just hold the underside of the device, you have to understand how small the pandora is.

OR if you want to be really odd about your touch screen usage, turn the pandora on its side/upside down etc. until you have it just how you want it :D
Hmm I can understand how you mean but I'm still not 100% convinced... I'll take your word for it until I get my hands on one though...

one thing i want to know is that whether the clamshell clasps shut and if it is tight, hopefully there wont be a big gap between the pieces when its closed because a penny once slid inbetween parts on a clamshell phone i had and scratched the screen so it was unusable.

Magnulus said:
Finally! Incontrovertible proof that we really have NOTHING left to talk about!!!
Should that not read: "Finally! Incontrovertible proof that we really have NOTHING left to bitch about!!!" ?

:D

First I would have to say you would have a less chance of messing up the screen with it like this, then it is a better design for when you type with it, it looks nice, and you don't have to worry about a flimsy slide out keyboard breaking off when you go to use the keyboard.

MechsWillOneDayStepOnYou said:
Magnulus said:
Finally! Incontrovertible proof that we really have NOTHING left to talk about!!!
Should that not read: "Finally! Incontrovertible proof that we really have NOTHING left to bitch about!!!" ?

:D

Amen.

1. Prevents screen scratching
2. No need for a carry case
3. You can shut your fingers in it if you're a masochist
4. You can shut other peoples fingers in it if you're a sadist

:)

Zarneth said:
Clam shell Pandora is about 500,000 times more practical, durable, reliable, cheaper and smaller than a slide design.
Really? Its a shame they didnt go for a slide out then.. i could have lived in it.

Back