What Is The Status Of...

truls_rhock

Still Fresh
Definitions:
--Status- Where, when, how many is it (I could include what, but this list is an attempt at being exhaustive of common parts).
--Button- The buttons that go on the board (not the key-mat, not the plastic shoulder button "pressers").
--None- Not ordered, sitting in a warehouse, or in transit.
--NA- Not applicable. Valid status descriptor meaning it doesn't apply to the current design.
--Being designed- Mold being designed, worked on, sitting on a computer, etc... Valid status descriptor meaning it hasn't been finally implemented to be mass manufactured.
--How many- Number ordered, sitting in warehouse, or in transit.

What is the status of the:
--Boards- 4000 both populated and unpopulated boards in a factory in Texas or something...
--LEDs- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--ICs- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Antenna boards- 4000+ produced, sitting in the factory.
--LCDs- 4000 sitting in the factory.
--Cable for the LCD- 4000+ produced, sitting in the factory.
--Speakers- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Wire for the speakers- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Batteries- 4000 batteries sitting in a warehouse/house/factory.
--Ribbon cable jacks- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--USB jacks- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--SD jacks- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Audio Jacks- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Video out jack- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Headers- NA?
--Generic buttons- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Analog Nubs- 8000 sitting in the factory and on pandora boards.
--Switches- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Knobs/wheels- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Touch part of LCDs- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Styluses- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Key-mats- designed, ordered? Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Shields- on the cables already?
--Random Wires- Greater than 0 in the factory.
--Tape- I'll send a roll if this delays it

--Cases (are they actually done all at once?)- being designed:
----Battery cover- ?
----Top two clam-shell halves- ?
----Bottom two clam-shell halves- ?
----Movable parts- ?
----Screws- ?
----Screw receivers- ?
----Dust covers- ?
----Labels- ?

--Accessories:
----Power plug- ordered?
----USB cable- ?

----Sold seperately:
------Video out cable- designed, ordered?
------Protective cases (another item that is sold separately)

--Software is clearly available

Surely someone has this kind of list, and it is a current, as in I know this now, list. It seems to be way beyond concept or design stage, right? If you need to be more generic about a particular part because it seems to be secret to the project, then do so. I'm not asking details about how to make them. Anyone could open one up and look-up that particular part (usually ICs or generic jacks) to order if they feel the need to repair it. I'm trying to be specific, but I'm sure this thread will be buried in ambiguity like all the others. If you aren't part of "Openpandora" or whatever you call the company, then try and link to post (blog or otherwise) of someone you believe is (craigix, evildragon, or mweston come to mind). Maybe the "Current Status" page could reflect something as detailed as this list.

Edited using:
What about the boards?
Current status

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a good link to see what's left: http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=13&lang=en

I remember it being said that every part except the cases are ready and waiting to be put together. TV cables will be manufactured with the cases. We are waiting for the case mould to be perfected.

r00tw00t said:
Here is a good link to see what's left: http://www.open-pandora.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=98&Itemid=13&lang=en

Added.

Edit: Removed list.

Additions?

Everything that is needed for the boards is already there, because the board production has started already (without cases)

So, there are a lot of populated boards in a storage room somewhere.

The only things on your list that haven't yet been announced as present and accounted for are:
  • Speakers
  • USB cable

Everything else has already been bought-in and assembled AFAIK.

r00tw00t said:
There is a problem with that page. How can Mass Production of 3895 Pandoras start before Case Production and Keymat Production? When it says its started does it mean the entire process?

craigix said:
Dang skippy! If I had these kinds of questions directed at me, I would be drunk as often as possible too.

Derek said:
r00tw00t said:
There is a problem with that page. How can Mass Production of 3895 Pandoras start before Case Production and Keymat Production? When it says its started does it mean the entire process?
What I understand is that the mass production of the circuit board has started (and most likely finished). I'm refering to the plain/unpopulated board.

Still to come is the assembly, which includes putting the components (ICs, LEDs, connectors, etc) into the board, the board/LCD into the plastic case and everything packaged. This will happen on an assembly line which means several of these steps happening at the same time in multiple assembly stations (none of which can happen without having all the parts ready).

craigix said:

I hope you don't mean you or I. I'm quite serious. Other people have also been serious.

As for populated vs unpopulated, read this What about the boards?.

Added actual "What about the boards?" information.

Edit: Removed list.

Additions?

You missed:

--Accessories:
--Protective case?

Other than that I applaud your detailed list. I'm quiet impressed how you broken down everything into pieces.

truls_rhock said:
I'm quite serious.
I was going to let this thread slide because I thought you were joking. If you really expect OP to inventory every single part sitting in a factory several thousand miles away just for your amusement, then you are mistaken. If and when there are status updates on any part of the process, someone from the team will give it. You don't need to ask. You certainly don't need to come up with a ridiculous checklist like this.

Chip said:
truls_rhock said:
I'm quite serious.
I was going to let this thread slide because I thought you were joking. If you really expect OP to inventory every single part sitting in a factory several thousand miles away just for your amusement, then you are mistaken. If and when there are status updates on any part of the process, someone from the team will give it. You don't need to ask. You certainly don't need to come up with a ridiculous checklist like this.

So the inventory is delegated to death? I don't know of anyone who purchases physical parts without knowing what they are getting. Knowing what, how many, and where is basic to any well run business. Why don't I need to ask? Many people are asking, and the information is getting more ambiguous.

Added protective cases.

Edit: Removed list, and changed abused qualifier (Everyone -> Many people).

Additions?

Chip said:
truls_rhock said:
I'm quite serious.
So are you not letting it slide as the PR guy (with a vested interest) or as a forum mod (who shouldn't give a crap if this thread is as it is)? Because, I don't see why a forum mod would care about one poitless thread (this one) over the multitude we've already had that you didn't care about.

Me thinks the 'competition' (truls_rhock in disguise) want to calculate an accurate estimate as to when the Pandora might hit the streets :p

truls_rhock, it might be better to update the first post instead of repeating it all over again. Just a thought. Also it would be better to summarize instead of breaking it down to single components.

Back