So What Do You Expect It To Do?

I think NES and Genesis/MD are basically a given to be excellent on day one, but I hope to use the extra power of Pandora to improve SNES, GBA, and PSX immediately.

Also really hoping to see a MAME port soon, though I'm not sure if Franxis will start work on it.

A solid kernel with decent drivers for all hardware, bash and enough development/packaging tools to get my own projects running. These and some emulators for 16-bit consoles/computers (SNES, Megadrive, Amiga) would be plenty to keep me going until the software starts flooding in.

Forthewin. said:
What do I want the Pandora to do on the day it arrives?
I'm really hoping that the GUI gives me a nice and easy way to bring up a bash prompt. Once I have that I'll be able to amuse myself.

Of course, PSX and MAME emulators would sweeten the deal! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Full-fledged distro with nice gui (which means web browsing, instant messaging, movies, mp3s, OpenOffice), NES, SNES, MAME, Final Burn Alpha, Genesis/Mega Drive, GBA, PSX, hoping for Quake III, maybe experimental N64 (and an early NDS emulator?).

I won't say nullDC proof-of-concept, since dkIIRaziel said he'd do a port once he got a Pandora, and I don't think he'd get one till at least after the first batch.

to be awesomn! With an N!

Yeah I would be interested in Quake, web browsing, emulation in general, because it is linux it is secure, it would be custom, Instant Messaging, and it's future unlimited potential.

for emulation, I want NES, SNES, Genisis, GBA, and PSX all working.
For native games, I'd love to see the doom and quake engines.

Audio and video players are a must, supporting most major file formats.

Web browsing is also a must. It has to support Java, or have a way to add that on. Flash would also be great

Also, I expect at some time to have a full host of office applications and organization tools, though I don't expect them to come packaged at launch

oh, and Pidgin or some other IM program

At launch I'll be thrilled if it does Genesis and web browsing...then C64 and Amiga in the future.

I'd also love a media player interface for playing videos. These features alone will make the purchase worth it, let alone all the other awesome stuff to come! B)

EmuGuy said:
At launch I'll be thrilled if it does Genesis and web browsing...then C64 and Amiga in the future.

I'd also love a media player interface for playing videos. These features alone will make the purchase worth it, let alone all the other awesome stuff to come! B)
Media player's a given, and seeing as Amiga has already been shown working full speed, I see no reason why it shouldn't be available at launch, too. :D

I'm hoping for some xterm, vim and python + pygame, so that I can start writing small games.

As for the emus, dosbox, ps1 and mame will probably cover most of my needs, and I hope it won't be long before exult is available to play Ultima VII.

Now that I think about it, I really hope that fortune from the bsd games will be available :)

I would be very happy with perfect Amiga 1200 emulation with HD support and and a perfect PC-Engine emulator with CD/SGFX support. The Amiga 500 Emu. video looks great already and an almost perfect PC-Engine emu. already exists on the GP2x so I see both on the Pandora as a dead cert.

£200 well spent :D

Roll on December so I can start playing, providing I can get on here fast enough tomorrow to pre-order one :D

funny no one seems to have mentioned an email client so far (or did i just miss it?).

anyway, me i'd like to have one from the start, along with a couple of essential emus, a media player, and a web browser, of course.

maybe a port of thunderbird?

Able to get online almost anywhere and type up whatever. Reliable GPS. Near-perfect emulation of all the classics. Doom and Duke Nukem on the Go. Online Quake 3. To use it as a Wacom Tablet. Plus anything else.

PSX emu and Quake 2 (for first impressions ;) ), Firefox 3, a media player, a text editor, a multi-tab terminal emulator. I think that's enough for me to survive on for the first day or two. :p

quadomatic said:
Full-fledged distro with nice gui (which means web browsing, instant messaging, movies, mp3s, OpenOffice), NES, SNES, MAME, Final Burn Alpha, Genesis/Mega Drive, GBA, PSX, hoping for Quake III, maybe experimental N64 (and an early NDS emulator?).

I won't say nullDC proof-of-concept, since dkIIRaziel said he'd do a port once he got a Pandora, and I don't think he'd get one till at least after the first batch.
You are kidding right?

It's not going to be able to do all of those things right away.

Expecting on arrival?
- A lot of emulators. Most of which I imagine will be in a slightly rough state feature-wise, and may or may not be optimized for OMAP3430.
- A functional launcher.
- A music player (but probably not the 100 hours one)

Hoping for?
- Web-browsing (we haven't heard anything recently about the wlan chip, which implies drivers aren't coded yet)
- Something to type into, either notepad or full openoffice style. I imagine the first will arrive long before the latter.
- A lot of emulators, complete with the a-bit-more-than-basic featureset - i.e. a settings menu, save/load states, zipped rom support - and ideally OMAP3430-optimized (so doing all the power-saving jiggery-pokery)
- A decent media player, OMAP3430 optimized.
- Drivers for the SGX 530 (this, I'm guessing, will take longer)

Obviously the elements in the former list are much sparser than the later ones, but that's inevitable. I do think that things in the later list will start to turn up within weeks (for those that don't require extra hardware drivers) or a couple of months (for those which do), but still...

Just don't expect to have all possible things at launch. There are too little developers to push everything in time for launch. Software will come with time.

Some things to consider:
* 3D drivers might not come in time. Same thing for wifi/BT.
* Emus might be a bit unpolished and missing filters, etc. Some emus might be missing completely, but should come and be improved pretty quickly.
* There might be no easy way to run firefox on day one.
* Same goes for other software you expect it to run.
* There might be some random software issues and bugs.

Be aware that this project relies heavily on community and might be missing quality commercial stuff sometimes has. Be sure you understand this before you preorder.

Back