SoC: Back and forth!

not true. Qualcomm was the one who didn't respond. AllWinner responded right away. However, the response at the time was supposedly lacking information and such, hence why EvilDragon was still leaning towards TI.
Okay so they responded with no pertinent information, my overall point stands..

Okay so they responded with no pertinent information, my overall point stands..
I wasn't refuting your comment that it will most likely be OMAP5. (Although I still hope for the A80)

But there is a big difference between a company that responds and one that doesn't. Even if they don't have pertinent information, you know that they are at least willing to cooperate with you to an extent.

-God Ginrai

Sorry, I didn't mean to turn this into another SoC thread, it was just a aside question.

Soooooooo, how about that case........
You mentioned the SoC.

-> Epic fail.

It can never be undone.

Maybe we could move that to the "SoC back and forth" thread?

BTW: New Intel processors coming ;) .

It's boring without a SoC discussion around ;) .

I'm hearing the current delay is because they're going from 2GB to 4GB. Will post more if I know more.
I really doubt that's something they're changing in the SoC.
Well we'll see, it's pretty easy to disprove once it comes out.

The A80 is supposed to support up to 8GB so its not too insane of a reason.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't he talking about the delay for the Optimus Board? That's more than just the SoC.
I guess, but that shouldn't delay availability of the SoC itself.. now whether or not interested parties need the Optimus Board to do anything is another question.

But if they really delayed the board for no reason other than changing the RAM from 2GB to 4GB it was a really dumb move, IMO. You don't need 4GB of RAM to evaluate this thing, you can barely even make a case for 4GB of RAM in a product using it. They should have just changed it to 4GB later if there was really demand for it. I have a very good feeling that the board is taking longer than expected for some other reason and they used a change in RAM as a convenient excuse.

That may be true. I don't believe anyone ever mentioned the SoC being delayed, tho'. But the board being delayed pertains to us, because EvilDragon would want the board for testing before he tried to get his hands on the SoC.

-God Ginrai

Well it wasn't clear what the current delay SNESFAN referred to was supposed to be. The only context was in response to status on the A80, not the Optimus Board..

I see some interesting possibilities in the future, AMD plans an X86/ARM Hybrid, fascinating:

Screen%20Shot%202014-05-05%20at%2011.25.30%20AM_678x452.png

http://www.anandtech.com/show/7989/amd-announces-project-skybridge-pincompatible-arm-and-x86-socs-in-2015

Maybe even both in one mobile SoC? 

Last edited by a moderator:
Back