SoC: Back and forth!

Well, if the A80 will be released and available, I'll surely look into it... But so far, All winner was like 'We have no idea about pricing, data sheets, availability and drivers for it'

Well, if the A80 will be released and available, I'll surely look into it... But so far, All winner was like 'We have no idea about pricing, data sheets, availability and drivers for it'
They're still saying that? Or are you just talking about the answer you got a couple of months ago? (Just curious)

-God Ginrai

Are there no reverse engineering projects for PowerVR at the moment? That is too bad :( The A80 sounds like it would be perfect for gamecube on Pyra :3

Are there no reverse engineering projects for PowerVR at the moment? That is too bad :( The A80 sounds like it would be perfect for gamecube on Pyra :3
I'm not optimistic enough to assume that anything will be perfect for Gamecube emulation. However, I think that getting an A80 would definitely be useful in making things like Saturn emulation possible. Also, the big.LITTLE architecture would be really great to have.

-God Ginrai

No pretty sure it will be OMAP5, with a chance that there may be an Allwinner daughter-board made.
You are just saying that because you bought the kit already. :p
I'm just saying wait and see.

Did they have this page up before?
No, they didn't.

Also, nice find. That video was very enlightening. First of all, we now know that they plan to distribute the OptimusBoard through PCDuino and Cubie (It sounded like they said Cubie, at least) by the end of May. Also, their "5 OSes" include ubuntu, which means that there should at least be some form of Linux support.

-God Ginrai

Strangely, they still haven't released clock speeds, but they did reveal that they're using TSMC's 28nm HPM process which has shown big power consumption improvements at higher clock speeds in other SoCs vs TSMC's 28nm LP and HPL processes (Qualcomm S800/S801 vs S600 in particular, also nVidia's claims for Tegra K1 vs Tegra 4) Don't know for sure what process OMAP5 is made on outside of being 28nm, but the ones made at TSMC (if not all of them?) are probably 28LP based on how long they've had engineering hardware.

No pretty sure it will be OMAP5, with a chance that there may be an Allwinner daughter-board made.
The OMAP5 devboard I bought still can be handy even if an Allwinner SoC is chosen, I just said that because it's closer to reality.. So far Allwinner hasn't even responded yet, while Ti has... And have volunteered at least in an unofficial capacity.

Last edited by a moderator:
The OMAP5 devboard I bought still can be handy even if an Allwinner SoC is chosen, I just said that because it's closer to reality.. So far Allwinner hasn't even responded yet, while Ti has... And have volunteered at least in an unofficial capacity.
 OMAP devs give us great support.

That's the only reason why I wouldn't pick up the A80.

I'm not against the OMAP and we all have seen at FOSDEM that it's a really good processor, but personally I'd prefer the A80.

Simply because it's more recent, has the better GPU and a real big.LITTLE octa core.

The other concern is that it might be crap quality as I ha bad experience lot of Asian products.

If they can provide the quality we need as well as the documentation I'd prefer this one.

Last edited by a moderator:
So far Allwinner hasn't even responded yet, while Ti has...
That's not true. Qualcomm was the one who didn't respond. AllWinner responded right away. However, the response at the time was supposedly lacking information and such, hence why EvilDragon was still leaning towards TI. EvilDragon just sent another message to AllWinner today; I hope he'll get favorable responses this time. :)

@Shenmue: I can totally understand that mindset. At the same time, I've owned enough products that came out of China that were good that I believe it's all a matter of the company's dedication.

-God Ginrai

Back