SoC: Back and forth!

I'm sure I don't fully understand what that means... But it sounds sexy anyways :3 Does that mean they will be making a processor with ARM and x86 in one?

I'm sure I don't fully understand what that means... But it sounds sexy anyways :3 Does that mean they will be making a processor with ARM and x86 in one?
Nah, just making x86 and ARM SoCs that can be used interchangeably on the same motherboard.

So at least somebody's going to be trying to make proper Linux work decently on it. Board availability mid-June is promising. Looks like something to keep an eye on.

Last edited by a moderator:
My brother will be upset, he just bough their current Cubietruck version (Dual-Core A7's)...

So at least somebody's going to be trying to make proper Linux work decently on it. Board availability mid-June is promising. Looks like something to keep an eye on.
Yep, though I just got a reply from allwinner today that they don't offer Linux drivers... So I'm interested to see how the cubieboard will get the powervr to work... (Hopefully not with a hybrid library and android drivers...)

Yep, though I just got a reply from allwinner today that they don't offer Linux drivers... So I'm interested to see how the cubieboard will get the powervr to work... (Hopefully not with a hybrid library and android drivers...)
Well at least they're not ignoring you now :p A solution using Android drivers somehow wouldn't be that bad, if they can actually get it to work. I'd be more worried that they just ship with no 3D support at all.

Nah, just making x86 and ARM SoCs that can be used interchangeably on the same motherboard.
Actually, I think it would be pretty neat. Software support from allover.

Cool.

My brother will be upset, he just bough their current Cubietruck version (Dual-Core A7's)...
Getting boards too early (and too late?)? Like Brother, like Brother? lol

(Hopefully not with a hybrid library and android drivers...)
I know it irks you, but I'm fine with that. :p

TrashyMG, on 06 May 2014 - 12:58 PM, said: My brother will be upset, he just bough their current Cubietruck version (Dual-Core A7's)... Getting boards too early (and too late?)? Like Brother, like Brother? lol

Well so far the OMAP5 is still the likely choice.. so doesn't seem like it..

However, do my Brother and Myself make impulsive buys? the answer is yes.

Well it wasn't clear what the current delay SNESFAN referred to was supposed to be. The only context was in response to status on the A80, not the Optimus Board..
A80 optimus board, I figured with the mention of a specific amount of ram was enough, sorry. I would find the excuse that their SoC was still being tested for 4GB to be a little pathetic of an excuse as well. Fitting that to their Dev board I can understand as a last min change to attract customers of bleeding edge tech.

The a80 SoC is supposed to support >8GB ram, whereas the optimus board was only shown an advertised with 2GB ram so far, that is what they are bumping to 4GB supposedly.

http://liliputing.com/2014/04/allwinner-a80-octa-core-chip-coming-q2-2014.html

I hope they do, and please take with a grain of salt, but I'm also hearing they will have an xorg compatible gpu driver for a ubuntu image they are working on as the optimus board is targetting low budget (<$100) desktop replacements as well. But I could have misunderstood that to be ubuntu touch now that I think about it, uses android's surface flinger EDIT: or mir. We'll see.

not if you want to use X or wayland, might get away with mir or some other android related/based window manager projects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Display_server
I don't know whether it's usable yet, but libhybris is supposed to allow Wayland on top of Android drivers via Weston and EGL translation.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Libhybris

Given what I've been reading about the release-readiness of current versions of Mir from various sources (LWN comments, Phoronix, etc.), any Wayland+libhybris stack that earns the definition of "functional" probably can't be much worse.

Yea, they mentioned them in that video I had linked.

I'm not exactly sure I really see that as much of a problem. Libhybris seems to be making good progress overall. I don't think it would be that inefficient to use on the A80.

-God Ginrai

As far as I know, libhybris depends on the correct kernel / driver versions. It could mean we'd be stuck with an old kernel in the future.

Also , gta04 now works whit the Omap, so it would be a bit strange, now to buy some diverent Chips, than the one, he tries to put on the Prozessor SOC now..

Im for the Omap, because the big Pandora Library, and whe know it works..

Also , gta04 now works whit the Omap, so it would be a bit strange, now to buy some diverent Chips, than the one, he tries to put on the Prozessor SOC now..

Im for the Omap, because the big Pandora Library, and whe know it works..
I don't mind having to do some recompilation -- that will probably be necessary anyway, even on OMAP5 (e.g. because of hardfp vs softfp).

I'm more worried about having decent Linux support, and manufacturer support.

Also I think power consumption and heat are very important. We are not making a 10" tablet or a smart-TV here, we don't have room for a large heatsink and battery. It would be silly to get the A80 and then have to switch off some of those cores, or downclock that GPU, just to keep battery life and heat acceptable. I don't know if that would be the case, maybe the A80 is cheaper and more efficient in terms of perf/W than OMAP5 so it still makes sense to do that. It would be nice to see some decent benchmarks about that.

In any case, I think the wisest thing for ED to do is to stick to OMAP5 for now, without making too many hard commitments -- don't let things depend crucially on OMAP5-only features, don't sign deals that require you to buy 50K OMAP5 SoCs, etc. If at some point the A80 has proved itself (in other products like that Cubieboard) and if it still looks good, you can still switch to it then. No need to take risks now.

^There.  And since Pyra SoC board can be swapped in the future (is this still true? :unsure: ), I'd say we stick with OMAP5.  Anything else would make us wait for another Two MonthsTM until Pyra is on sale.

Also I think power consumption and heat are very important. We are not making a 10" tablet or a smart-TV here, we don't have room for a large heatsink and battery. It would be silly to get the A80 and then have to switch off some of those cores, or downclock that GPU, just to keep battery life and heat acceptable. I don't know if that would be the case, maybe the A80 is cheaper and more efficient in terms of perf/W than OMAP5 so it still makes sense to do that. It would be nice to see some decent benchmarks about that.
You wouldn't need a heat sink no more then you would need one for the phones with the similar specs.

Funny, considering we getting a battery that surpass some tablets. Yes, because Pyra can't connect to the TV and companies haven't try to make "Smart TVs" with weaker devices. Allwinner, so you can actually use all the cores of the SOC and the power saving features if needed.

Of course get the Allwinner if you can actually get it.

Back