Some more of my ideas

Wireless: Improved Wifi, but maybe also optional 3G/4G would be neat.
Will it also support GSM? That would be great, i really want to get rid of my big brother watching phone ...

What do you think about GPS/GLONASS?

And please a keyboard backlight :D

I know, all those features are rising the price ... but i don't care much about that (I hope other people also think so) if I'm able to replace other devices (mobile phone, car gps, ...) with a all-in-one gadget like the new pandora!

I would also like something that distinguishes the P2 from the rest of the market, and I thought a exchangable SoC daughterboard would be it, but as it seems, I am wrong
 Running Linux on this size format with keyboard and gaming controls is still going to be a differentiator.
Seconded. No need for gimmicks. Just a solid product that delivers more of the same better :)

GSM, GPS, ... is not the most important.

We need to have a base device with all the necessary and get an EXT connector to hack and create extended board.

But sure, I am waiting for the pre orders.

Last edited by a moderator:
If we're sticking with a key-mat keyboard, please could we at least make the keys concave instead of convex like a real keyboard? I would still prefer the type of keyboards you used to get on the older PDAs, but I understand that's probably additional cost etc.

Power port: Is it needed or is USB sufficient?
With the current Pandora, if the battery gets too low, you can't charge from USB and have to use the power port.If the power port is going to be removed, something will need to be changed to ensure you can always charge the device.

With the current Pandora, if the battery gets too low, you can't charge from USB and have to use the power port.

If the power port is going to be removed, something will need to be changed to ensure you can always charge the device.
Could this be the same as with some tablets (my experiences are with Nexus7)? Those need several hours of charging from a high-power (over 1A at USB's 5V seems to be enough) USB charger if the battery level gets too low to even boot. If it doesn't boot after 24h in charging there's something wrong.

Last edited by a moderator:
Exophase, on 19 Nov 2013 - 12:29 PM, said: Power port: Is it needed or is USB sufficient? With the current Pandora, if the battery gets too low, you can't charge from USB and have to use the power port. If the power port is going to be removed, something will need to be changed to ensure you can always charge the device.
I also hope we'll have a micro-kernel when charging, too.  

With the current Pandora, if the battery gets too low, you can't charge from USB and have to use the power port.

If the power port is going to be removed, something will need to be changed to ensure you can always charge the device.
Could this be the same as with some tablets (my experiences are with Nexus7)? Those need several hours of charging from a high-power (over 1A at USB's 5V seems to be enough) USB charger if the battery level gets too low to even boot. If it doesn't boot after 24h in charging there's something wrong.
No idea, I don't have a tablet. Next time my Pandora goes flat, I'll wallcharge with a USB cable. I don't think it'll do anything because it insta-boots when you add the power cable, and doesn't do anything with USB cable.
That all said, yes, it would be good to just charge with a USB cable. As long as you can charge from flat with it

No idea, I don't have a tablet. Next time my Pandora goes flat, I'll wallcharge with a USB cable. I don't think it'll do anything because it insta-boots when you add the power cable, and doesn't do anything with USB cable.
That all said, yes, it would be good to just charge with a USB cable. As long as you can charge from flat with it
Yup, the same with the tablet. It doesn't even show the automatic "charging" animation you normally get if the device is turned off. It's just blank for hours and then starts to wake up.

Okay, will give it a go; but considering the proper power cable switches it on instantly, I have my doubts.

Plus I wouldn't really want to be waiting hours to switch it on even when connected to a mains power source anyway, that's dumb

-1 for android, i dont want google to watch me

+2 for linux, +1 for volume control - i like to listen to music from the device using this knob

ED you said you got an SoC, but wont tell us what it is . Is asking you what the architecture is also forbidden?

As for Pandora being a laptop, I like it being a palmtop ;)

Plus I wouldn't really want to be waiting hours to switch it on even when connected to a mains power source anyway, that's dumb
I never charged my Pandora via the barrel jack, always via the USB connection, never got any problems. Only if the battery is at a really low level with the Pandora not even beeing able to boot up, it takes ~ 15-20min to get life signs out of her.

Okay, will give it a go; but considering the proper power cable switches it on instantly, I have my doubts.

Yes, it's dumb :D

I think the first posts by ED and Exophase capture the community consensus on the main design goals. Looking good!

TV out: I think most of the community wants either HDMI or Display Port. I would consider the prerequisites here to be a complete digital video and audio out solution that can be cheaply (passively) converted to HDMI if not HDMI directly.

^ This is an important one. Digital video out is really obligatory. If size is an issue, then maybe SlimPort (aka Mobility DisplayPort or MyDP) is an option.

"SlimPort" or "Mobility DisplayPort", also known as "MyDP", is an industry standard for a mobile audio/video Interface, connectivity from mobile devices to external displays and HDTVs. SlimPort implements the transmission of video over a single shielded twisted pair, using a micro-USB connector and passive USB 2.0 cables.
Interface, support conversion to DisplayPort, HDMI and VGA. Standard was released in June 2012.%5B22%5D The first product to use MyDP is Google Nexus 4 smartphone.%5B23%5D
SlimPort is energy-efficient alternative to Mobile High-Definition Link (MHL). MHL adapters require external power while SlimPort does not require external power or extra cables and draws no power from the source to operate.

About the SD slots: please make sure that they are as future-proof as possible. That means they should be able to handle the most recent SDXC and SDIO standards at the highest possible transfer speeds. This is where we can really make a difference with other devices (phones/tablets), where "only internal storage" is increasingly becoming the norm. It's what's going to keep the device relevant for a long time. So better not compromise on it.

One more thing: it might be interesting to have an accelerometer, and maybe also a compass and haptics (rumble), because I assume those components are relatively cheap and small and could be fun and useful.

And please stick to a normal clamshell design, no fancy stuff like 360 degree hinges or rotate-to-portrait detachable displays. Those things will certainly complicate the design, probably cause problems, and potentially undermine the durability of the device. But when designing the case, it might be good to keep in mind that people might occasionally want to hold the device sideways (portrait mode), e.g. holding the base sideways in one hand and using the other hand (finger or stylus) on the portrait screen.

ED:  Overall I like what you've got so far, and I also like Exophase's suggestions.

Microphone: MWeston mentioned removing the microphone in his speculative plans. I know that anything he may have come up with isn't related to your plans, but I do want to stress, please keep a microphone if you can :p
I would add to that that the internal and external microphones should be separate inputs not left and right channel on a single stereo input. :)

Other than that I'd request that the audio circuitry be designed to be at least as good as the current Pandora as I consider that one of it's strengths.

I would request that we keep the dedicated charging port.   I'd like to be able to charge my unit while using an OTG device.

- Neelix

I think make the device as sexy as possible.

That will give it a mass market appeal.  You want people to look at it and go wow whats that.  The looks I get when I use my Pandora on the train is more like "eh what the F*^k is that?"

Back