Pyra Website Design Ideas

Because it's easier to maintain...

And by the way what do you lose with that?

That's exactly the difference between open source and free software.
Open source thinks that developing openly is the best form of developing but uses the tools that seem to fit best, no matter whether they're proprietary or not. Open source is pragmatic. 
Free software thinks that software must be free and everything else is wrong. Free software is philosophic. 

Likewise, free software people say that open source misses the point and open source people say that the free-software-mindset is too radical. 

Of course, the OpenPandora/Pyra project isn't alone doing this. For a long time, Linux used the proprietary BitKeeper until Linus said that he could write something better in 2 weeks (and did), SourceForge's website was proprietary, Google Code, GitHub and others still are. 

Because there are no tools to migrate to something better. Its tie-in.

Open source is open source, it means source is open. For IPboard the source is closed, and it always has been. Open source has no mind of its own.

Free software is a cumbersome, but not worthless term. It similarly has no mind of its own, but it does imply rules to the software it covers.

There are no open source people.

Last edited by a moderator:
Can somebody explain to me WHY IN THE FLAMING HELL does an Open Source software/hardware project like this run its website on paid proprietary forum and CMS platforms!?!?
Because ED have a licence for IPBoards since ages, because it works and provide features no FLOSS boards offer.Why do you come here trolling ?

There are plenty of people here who would sympathize with the Free Software movement rather than the Open Source movement. For example me.

But I prefer to unify both movements, talk about FOSS, and focus on Free Software where it matters most: in the software I run on my own devices.

That said, I would applaud any attempt to move these boards to FOSS forum software, so we can hack in any additional features we want and fix bugs that annoy us. It's probably a lot of work to do that, though. (Or is there FOSS forum software that can import an existing IP Board database? Please let us know if there is!)

That said, I would applaud any attempt to move these boards to FOSS forum software, so we can hack in any additional features we want and fix bugs that annoy us. It's probably a lot of work to do that, though. (Or is there FOSS forum software that can import an existing IP Board database? Please let us know if there is!)
I think people need to realize, that no matter whether you are a FOSS advocate or not, sometimes there are just no good FOSS solutions out there, or just very crappy ones that are poorly maintained or used. That's why Open Source/FOSS does not always win on the market - there's still a lack of good alternatives for many things you want to replace with FOSS. Look at Skype - how many years do we have to wait until we have something as good as that (and let me emphasize, "as good as that") with FOSS ? 

Look at Skype - how many years do we have to wait until we have something as good as that (and let me emphasize, "as good as that") with FOSS ?
In my opinion that's a bad example. I only have problems with Skype, be it on my phone or on my linux computer. It's crap.

^ Seconded. Although, despite all the constant problems I've had with skype, it has still worked better than any other softphone I've tried.

I like discuissions but would you like to discuss this in new topic?

As this thread should be for the website design. So please be nice an stick to topic.

I'd personally rather ED had time for his current tasks, instead of spending time attempting to switch to different versions of software (especially if the current software has decent support etc.) The Pandora can run open, closed, free and paid for software, and the tools, environment, community, etc. is welcome to do the same - the views of the community are mixed, some people preferring closed, others open, some liking free whilst others are fine with paid. In my opinion, anyone that believes there is only one 'right' way of doing things is closed minded and sheltered - the truly 'Open' thing about the Pandora is it is 'Open' to anything, not just Open to software that meets some criteria (even more so as that criteria isn't agreed upon by the small user base). Anyway... back on topic... just doing my usual duty of fighting against too much open/free tomfoolery.

Slowly as no one of the at first so eager supporter supports.
Have you contacted people? I for instance assumed that my help was not needed and there was work done behind the scenes based on your last post in the other thread :

I'm currently working through all suggestions made in this forum section by the community to structure them and make a short overview of milestones.

Those I will discuss with ED and Nilsnsn. After that I will contact the people that registered themselfes here with tasks suggestions.
If you haven't contacted anyone it sort of makes sense no one is doing anything. Also a lot of the momentum and gumption gets lost if the ball isn't kept rolling.

I think i have to try to personal contact each one... but I'm adapted that it is enough to post in a forum to get response from interested people from my other hobby forums.

I think i have to try to personal contact each one... but I'm adapted that it is enough to post in a forum to get response from interested people from my other hobby forums.
So you're upset that after stating that you'd discuss things with ED first and then contact people once you had a roadmap that the people on the forum actually listened and gave you space to do just that?

I mean this much less sarcastic then it might come across. I'm just surprised in your special tactic of reverse psychology where you try to trigger people to get actively involved by basically saying "Don't call us, we'll call you".

No, i only wanted to state I'm used that it is enough to use posts on a board to organise things. ^^

It shouldn't be an aggression or reverse psychology thing. It you thought so then I'm sorry.

Back