Website - Basic Ideas

I never had the feeling that drupal has a steep learning curve and i work with it some years now. I have a better feesling of what happens in the core better then in wordpress and i have full controll of the content and the pages.

Web designers tend to use cms (unless part of a team and only handles front end design) web developers tend to role out their own. What skill sets are at eds disposal?

Who is a web designer and who are the web developers? And for those all rounders (bit of both) who are they?
Aces in their places and all that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably a bit of both here :)

I've used Wordpress a number of times, but I tend to only use that if doing a site for someone else and looking to pretty much hand it over to them completely ... and they're not savvy with HTML/CSS at all. So the Wordpress CMS is very easy for them to do updates with very little instruction from me.

I prefer to just do my sites with Sublime text editor though, more recently I will start with a boilerplate/bootstrap and edit it, re-order the layout to my requirement, and make use of the goodies it includes, like image scrollers and the likes.

Often source jquery and add to my sites too. The JS/CSS/HTML files I edit all in sublime text editor.

I'm ok with a bit of Photoshop too, to make logos and graphical stuff.

I've not really done anything with user logins, pagination for blog pages outside of Wordpress though.

And the only shopping cart I've implemented outside of a CMS environment was a basic Google shopping cart

Well, I don't have any problems if the backend is not too user friendly ;)

I usually prefer slick, custom created websites myself, so creating our own simple CMS that will be improved over time is probably a good idea.

However, the framework needs to be designed in a way it can be enhanced and get new features without having to destroy anything that already works.

Web designers tend to use cms (unless part of a team and only handles front end design) web developers tend to role out their own. What skill sets are at eds disposal? Who is a web designer and who are the web developers? And for those all rounders (bit of both) who are they?Aces in their places and all that.
Web designer here. With graphic skills.

I have used joomla, drupal and wordpress and made systems with codeigniter as a lightweighted Framework.

Joomla is to oversized.

Wordpress is limited and a bit picky with add ons. A small update can make an add on go haywire.

Drupal also has sometimes issues with add-ons that are not working together.

If you really want to build your cms from scratch that is a huge thing to make it safe against every thing out there.

Well, I don't have any problems if the backend is not too user friendly ;)

I usually prefer slick, custom created websites myself, so creating our own simple CMS that will be improved over time is probably a good idea.

However, the framework needs to be designed in a way it can be enhanced and get new features without having to destroy anything that already works.
Rolling our own CMS seems like a big waste of effort. It makes more sense to start with an existing FOSS CMS framework like WordPress, and add any extra functionality we need as a plugin to that (chances are that the plugin already exists). It does not make sense to reinvent the wheel.

In terms of style it's something else: it could make sense to start from scratch to design a custom theme (CSS etc). Let's try to separate style and functionality though.

the problem with using an existing CMS is that are designed to do everything and we might not need the kitchen sink -  then if you want to add functionality you have to do it in a way the CMS tells you to do it.

if you programm your own cms you have to at the functionallity also the way the cms tells you. Or do you want to reprogram it every time?

The which cms or no cms choices are going te be limited by who is going to be project lead (not me) and his/her skill set.

Someone needs to be able to oversee the whole project and divide the tasks and check the work that's done.

So wouldn't it make more sense to first suss out who is capable and willing to take that task, nominate one of them and work from there?

I fully agree.

If we can't find one who wants to be a leader here, I might have to hire one... but I'd be more happy if he'd be from the community as well (as then he knows what's it all about :D )

What I can do is 'subcontract' for instance the html and css part of the project. So the project leader wouldn't have to make all the to-dos and do follow up for that area.

There are definitely more experienced guys than me around so I'm not trying to claim anything but if it helps I'm happy to take some of the burden.

I would happily assist you Timstertoo. I have experience in programming projects and assisting to manage them.

Edit: Cleaner version

pyrawebsiteidea2.png

Somehow I don't really like that gray column in the middle ... it takes a lot of horizontal space without helping the reader too much ... (and it reminds me of inventory-systems of some games I don't like :D )

Maybe it could be merged with the articles in the right, so that you normally just see the headings and maybe an introduction to the article .

If you want to read it you click to expand it (like most blogs out there I think).

I was working on the basis that most people have letterboxy screens and so we have more vertical space than we know what to do with.

The panels could be collapsed, hidden or merged when horizontal space is tight.

I think it's a bad idea to assume a lot of horizontal space.

* The pandora screen could be considered "letterboxy" but it's only 800 px wide. - narrower than many 4:3 screens in practice.

* vertical scrolling is easy. Horizontal scrolling can be a pain in the arse, especially if you end up having to do it on every line.

- Neelix

Is it me or is the search for a project lead on the development side come to a screeching halt? 

Maybe we should turn it around and make shortlist of people who we think capable of doing it and work from there.

So as I stated earlier, I'd be happy to take on the html/css part of the project as an assistant to the project lead but I simply don't have enough knowledge to take on the whole project. Especially not on a forum where whatever you decide on there will always be a couple (or many)  that strongly oppose that and will come up with strong arguments why they are right (and rightly so, otherwise the forum would be boring :) ). We need someone who is confident and can make decisions based on his own knowledge and not on peer pressure.

Who would be able to take on the whole thing?

Milkshake

Dresha

Cuetzpalin

Just throwing a couple of names out there. Feel free to add yourself or others to the list. Or remove yourself for that matter.

I saw Ekianjo volunteering for the design part of the project. Has he had an answer to that? I think it would be good to have a separate design lead and personally I think Ekianjo would be an excellent choice if I look his Japanese Pandora website, Pandora Live and the box he ships the Japanese Pandora in. He's shown he has a good eye and can find the right people to do the things he can't or doesn't have time for himself.

Back