Basic website

Made a few modifications:

http://people.cs.kuleuven.be/~jon.sneyers/tmp/pyra2

Simplified the tech specs on the main page a bit. Added a separate page for tech specs with more detail.
That's a good one as well.

As I need to start filling the site from tomorrow on, would it be possible that I can get that website?

What I need:

Tabs for:

* Home (= Introduction) (the same we already have)

* Tech Specs (the same we already have)

* Team (new one - based on the Team that's currently on the main page, but I need more members :) )

* Blog (as is, just with that new block included that I posted a few posts before, either at the end or right side of the main blog entry)

* Community (some information and links about the community)

And on the bottom of the site:

* Legal Info / Impressum

Could these changes be implementend and I get the sourcecode to put on my site?

Pretty please? :D

Suppose you know nothing about the Pandora project; about Ed, notaz, and whoever else; about the Pyra; and about this entire community, and then look at the suggested pages again. When I do this, I can imagine some improvements that can be made.

The thing about the Prya, like with the Pandora, is that it's a community device. As you know, chances are that it will rise and fall with its community. It's not about profit maximization, it's about having and providing a device that otherwise would not exist. So if we, who we are part of this community, provide information about this device to people who, like us, are probably interested in it, then I think that it makes sense to provide this information in a way that we would like for ourselves, too.

That's why I would like to make another suggestion, which is this one:

Pyra - FOSDEM 2014 information page (work in progress)

Some key points about this suggestion:

• On this page, It's more clear that this is not the full product website, just a first introduction, more or less specifically for the FOSDEM
  • "Official Pyra blog" initiated as the future official go-to resource for insight into development progress, separated blog from FOSDEM 2014 website
  • The Pyra blog shows only the headlines, not the full blog post. The headlines redirect people to the respective post on the forum, so that they will directly see, and be able to take part in, the discussion that is going on there. I chose to do this because 1. Don't Repeat Yourself, and 2. I want people new to this community feel welcomed immediately.
  • The wording is less marketing-speak, more honesty and neutrality, treating the reader more like a person who is capable of thinking for herself, rather than like a money zombie. After all, this is not about profit maximization, but about collaboration.
  • No team members are listed here. While there may be reasons to highlight certain people who have worked hard to contribute something, it's easy to give the impression that these are the people who make or break the Pyra. If I understood Ed correctly, he agrees that is not the case, and the Pyra, just like the Pandora, rises and falls with the whole of the community. This small Pyra preview website for FOSDEM is a good opportunity to show developers and hackers that they are welcome and invited to contribute to the Pyra. Therefore, I think that we should move the discussions about any such "team introductions" to a later time, when the planning of the "full" Pyra website is taking place.
  • The implementation is custom, fast, does not load content from external servers, works without JavaScript, and the "code" should be easy to understand. Usability should be high, too. Testing is needed, though (I don't have the time for that right now, but will fix problems that you find)

Suppose you know nothing about the Pandora project; about Ed, notaz, and whoever else; about the Pyra; and about this entire community, and then look at the suggested pages again. When I do this, I can imagine some improvements that can be made.
The information that it will be a temporary site will be on the main site, in the blog and on the Community website.

Right now, I haven't said anything about content, at the moment it's simply about the design (as I'll implement the content myself within the next week).

And yes, the core team SHOULD be there, as the hardware is NOT being made by the community. We'll have the hardware team here.

About the community involvement (ideas, software, website, etc.), there's a full community part planned (see the community tab).

Not sure about the blog part - I rather have the latest post on the main site which links to the forum (which it already does) and the most recent blog entries on the same site (directly linking to the forum).

What I don't really like is the design you provided - it looks like either a completely technical information website (which it shouldn't be, it should be attractive on first sight) or like a website someone made 10 years ago with a text editor.

There's no real design, it's just a wall of text which will scare anyone away.

I see, by "design" you mean what it looks like. Yes, there's a lot that can be improved there. But actually, design is not just about what something looks like, it's about how something works. (See also: What is Design? (Yes, all 10 definitions!))

For me, content too is part of the design. So, regarding the wall of text part: it's easy to think that, but I actually attempted to design the content to give away the most important information quickly, see also: How Users Read on the Web. Since I don't know what kind of information you are going to present at FOSDEM, I can not make everything (the looks, the content, the usability, the whatever else) "fit" together. I have no way of determining whether that information will, in fact, be all technical information. Whether or not it is, I think that a neutral website should always work with the audience of the FOSEDM though, because I think that it's reasonable to assume that that audience will be of above-average technical aptitude.

So, for the future, I would recommend to regard the content as part of the entire design, and give the community a chance to work with that content, in addition to other things such as the looks (though I don't know whether and to what extend that is possible and feasible, of course). Edit: Ah, right: Growing a Business Website: Fix the Basics First

Last edited by a moderator:

The thing about the Prya, like with the Pandora, is that it's a community device. As you know, chances are that it will rise and fall with its community. It's not about profit maximization, it's about having and providing a device that otherwise would not exist. So if we, who we are part of this community, provide information about this device to people who, like us, are probably interested in it, then I think that it makes sense to provide this information in a way that we would like for ourselves, too.

That's why I would like to make another suggestion, which is this one:

Pyra - FOSDEM 2014 information page (work in progress)

Some key points about this suggestion:

• On this page, It's more clear that this is not the full product website, just a first introduction, more or less specifically for the FOSDEM
  • "Official Pyra blog" initiated as the future official go-to resource for insight into development progress, separated blog from FOSDEM 2014 website
  • The Pyra blog shows only the headlines, not the full blog post. The headlines redirect people to the respective post on the forum, so that they will directly see, and be able to take part in, the discussion that is going on there. I chose to do this because 1. Don't Repeat Yourself, and 2. I want people new to this community feel welcomed immediately.
  • The wording is less marketing-speak, more honesty and neutrality, treating the reader more like a person who is capable of thinking for herself, rather than like a money zombie. After all, this is not about profit maximization, but about collaboration.
  • No team members are listed here. While there may be reasons to highlight certain people who have worked hard to contribute something, it's easy to give the impression that these are the people who make or break the Pyra. If I understood Ed correctly, he agrees that is not the case, and the Pyra, just like the Pandora, rises and falls with the whole of the community. This small Pyra preview website for FOSDEM is a good opportunity to show developers and hackers that they are welcome and invited to contribute to the Pyra. Therefore, I think that we should move the discussions about any such "team introductions" to a later time, when the planning of the "full" Pyra website is taking place.
  • The implementation is custom, fast, does not load content from external servers, works without JavaScript, and the "code" should be easy to understand. Usability should be high, too. Testing is needed, though (I don't have the time for that right now, but will fix problems that you find)
I agree, but ED wants (I think) something that will be more in style with final design. Start small, grow big.

Although I like your suggestions, like the leaflet ED had for FOSDEM a few years ago that covered most interesting parts of the device.

Guessing ED's idea is probably similar, but I can't read minds.

@_wb_ community page has wrong nav links marked as active.

I've created another blog that shows the last 5 Blog Posts to choose from.

Can be included e.g. besides the main blog entry :)

<script type='text/javascript' src='http://boards.openpandora.org/external.php?id=12&amp;k=73c45bc9b29cb54de0a22e263efaf448&amp;method=div' id='block-73c45bc9b29cb54de0a22e263efaf448'></script>
ED, could you please point me towards where you get these links from?

Is it something that only IPBoard admin can get?

I like this feature, but seems can only embed each ID Block once, so wondering how you get the script syntax here for any specific thread...

Yes, you create and customize the blocks inside the IPB admin panel.

You can basically build a complete website and include all IPB features according to your likings anywhere on your site, which is pretty awesome.

This makes it easy to build a website with tight forums integration, which is what we should aim for for the full page :)

I see, cheers.

It is smart stuff, I like it. Even carries over the smiley emoticons too which I didn't expect. Definitely a good feature

Forum integration is one thing, which is good. Tight forum integration sounds suspicious. IPB integration does not sound good, at the moment it provides less than what its used for, hoping more wont be a dependency on what is a closed source platform.

This is easily the best design so far. Clean, minimal and looking like it's been designed for attracting new users. Dense text and unusual colours tend to scare people away...
While I like the design, I can't think of a good way implementing the blog when it simply scrolls down... any ideas?
Yeah, I guess that single page style is not ideal for blogging.

I just added your IPboard syntax to see how I could use it. I know that the site for FOSDEM is already well underway already and looking good too, I just tried this for myself really too as didn't even know about this feature of embedding forum threads into webs.

I used a a nice little scroller to work with overflow as it works nice with touch/mobile

http://playpandora.com/temp/pyra-website/html-blog/index.html

Click the [Read Blog Posts] button to get that page

I might just keep that aside and once Pyra is out there do a little unofficial site to promo it :)

This is easily the best design so far. Clean, minimal and looking like it's been designed for attracting new users. Dense text and unusual colours tend to scare people away...
While I like the design, I can't think of a good way implementing the blog when it simply scrolls down... any ideas?
Yeah, I guess that single page style is not ideal for blogging.

I just added your IPboard syntax to see how I could use it. I know that the site for FOSDEM is already well underway already and looking good too, I just tried this for myself really too as didn't even know about this feature of embedding forum threads into webs.

I used a a nice little scroller to work with overflow as it works nice with touch/mobile

http://playpandora.com/temp/pyra-website/html-blog/index.html

Click the [Read Blog Posts] button to get that page

I might just keep that aside and once Pyra is out there do a little unofficial site to promo it :)
Looks good but I don't like the big bar on the left.

Putting it on top is better I think.

Is nice for touch but not good for Deskop website.

I prefer _wb_'s design here.

Back