Basic website

I'll take a look at it. I like the design below the menu bar, but that top menu bar doesn't seem to jive well with me. I might explore some alternatives.

-God Ginrai

I don't really like the glows and fuzzy drop-shadows. The style of the headings and boxes is much better.

Don't like the logo or the spinning effect. I like the tab system though and overall its a good start.

I'm telling ya, this website is not gonna go anywhere if it's going thru the forum for comments.  It's like those SoC threads :)   ED, just pick a dev and make one up and things will fall into place just like how you pick OMAP5 :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Style -wise, it's not what I would go for. For a dev blog/page (because that's what ED is asking for, as far as I understand), a white page with subtle color touches would be more appropriate and neutral. 

When it comes later to have a product page, of course it should be different, but a dev blog/page has a different purpose and should have a different look. 

Why don't we exercise a bit of a thievery? 

Have a look at Iphone, xperia and MSI gaming laptop's page, then we can get a good idea of how to organize Pyra official site's content. 

Surely we don't want it looks like another "Jesus love thou" rainbow shiny abomination. 

I personally don't like flash pages, they are kinda cool, but they tend to behave undesirably under some situations.

I have some ideas, but I lacks the basic drawing skills. I will try to get something out at least. (I would resort to use MS paint if it's necessary)

I think we need the following sub-pages: 

1st page: several close-up shots with word descriptions along the line of: ergonomically designed keyboard with satisfying  feedback and durability; Pin-point precise nubs that centers automatically by the merits of rare earth magnets; Massive 20000mhz super millitery grade 8 cell li-ion battery that sustains for up to 20 hours of usage. Blah, blah, blah

2nd page: Give the reader some expectations of the software side of Pyra.

3rd page: Specs

EDIT: it never hurts to make up semi-psudo-technical terms, like neuron cortex processing, or salamander ultra magnetic nubs. These helps distinguish Pyra from other generic devices in the untrained eyes of many potential customers. These sounded so much better than the generic: cortex a15 technology, 8gb ram. 

EDIT 2: I wonder if we can put some sort of interective disassembled photo or blue print of the pyra on the front page, showing potential customers its layer by layer design.

EDIT: it never hurts to make up semi-psudo-technical terms, like neuron cortex processing, or salamander ultra magnetic nubs. These helps distinguish Pyra from other generic devices in the untrained eyes of many potential customers. These sounded so much better than the generic: cortex a15 technology, 8gb ram. 
No. No made up pseudo-technical terms. That sort of nonsense marketing just sends out the message that the project is not to be trusted, we're being dishonest, and we will tell you anything to sell the thing.

Just the facts, please. They are amazing enough already.

If you can use a hand building it let me know. You don't want me for design but if there is a design I can make it.

I'd be more then happy to put in some hours for the cause! :)

Right now, let's focus on the BASIC site so we can have it ready for FOSDEM.

Everything else can be designed and created afterwards, we've got time until the product is ready (should be enough ;) )

And no, NO NO NO weird marketing terms made up!

The product is for experienced users who know what they're talking about and not for the cool kiddie generation who needs to be convinced with words they don't know (and which don't make sense).

Even though marketing today is based on deception and misleading, after doing a bit of research, I think you are right. If I'm someone who had never heard of pandora before, but were drawn to the idea of open source and linux and other good stuffs; reading those would only make them feel insulted. It's like how I felt when the next gen xboxes were anounced. 

However, we need a more effective way of making a difference here. Our hardware is nothing special, our OS is the good old Debian, we don't have any of those hyper HD screen, crystal clear 13MP camera and digitizer pen add-ons. 

I would suggest our website designer to focus on our features, like the awesome amplifier, great keyboard and full gaming control, giant massive, sturdy body that can stand a few drops without cracking the screen, hundreds of apps from pandora's repo especially we need to showcase some of the greater ones. Putting all these in a video is not good enough, I think we need to present all the selling points in a sort of easy to read and to navigate layout and put them on a web page which google can readily snapshot. If you want to go over-board, you can always list out what great achievements our community has done to the gaming scene as a whole, and why joining us would be so much fun. Sure, someone would still call ED out on what he has not done and has in fact tried his hardest to solve, but by putting the community out there will damp these negativities by a lot. 

However, we need a more effective way of making a difference here. Our hardware is nothing special, our OS is the good old Debian, we don't have any of those hyper HD screen, crystal clear 13MP camera and digitizer pen add-ons.
How many clamshell miniature PCs including Gaming Controls and Linux, with FullHD screen and current ARM SoC are out there? :eek:

Hmm... Maybe get ekiango to write some short, cach phases.

Unleash your potential.

Gaming. Coding. Expandable.

Your life companion.

...stuff like that.

Back