Website - Basic Ideas

I'd suggest Bootstrap3 or Skeleton, both are very easy grid based solutions to use, and out the box nice and responsive.

I've used them both, Bootstrap more, but both are great imo.

Sadly, I've no experience at all of github, I've only ever visited those pages to d/l a .zip

I think Drupal would be nice, as it is full costumizable and can be pimped with as many add ons. You only have to be selective to not bloat the page for the enduser.

The translation system on the wiki can be used too, maybe.
It can not. It's still not working properly. After our long PM talking i thought you should know that already. :(

My goal is to have one website with one login for all of those - so bridging them together for the login data with one main website.
Dislike. Due to security reasons. If your account is hacked, you may have to fix damage on the board and the wiki too.

If a user uses one password for all it's his responsibility. But i'd like to keep the option for different passwords.

I would suggest we should bear in mind that most devices these days to view web pages be they smartphones, tablets, tvs or computers have widescreen screens, so building a portrait website is a very retro concept, although I take your suggestion that it should reformat depending on width. The most modern way to present that sort of info is using cutouts, and overlays (drop down menus etc.). Here's a slightly wonky and deliberately black and white demo I made of an idea:

Pft! Modernness for modernness' sake is overrated.

But point taken about landscape vs portrait.

Hows about this?

screenshot6.png

The Pyra is obscure and expensive. It is not at all an impulse buy.
I think customers will probably want to do thorough research in the Pyra, its strengths and weaknesses before buying, and will be put off by a "Pyra is the most bestest thing ever since sliced bread" page.
Well, comradekingu has already pointed out a lot of points on this. However, I would like to add some points.

I'm a go player, and whenever we are discussing how to spread the game and get more people playing, I point a fact I came to realize after many years playing and knowing players all around the world: "go players excell at convincing other go players to play go"

We love go for some reasons and we tend to think that the rest of the world will love it for the same reasons. Except that it never works.

I think the Pyra is very similar to go in that respect. Many people would say it's a niche product. And I agree, it won't sell by the millions; nonetheless, I'm sure the niche can be much bigger than it is so far with the Pandora. But we have to work for that to happen.

I'm thinking of a frontpage that has nice product shots/renders with links to all the sections of the website, plus two clear paths to follow: a product tour (for newcomers, not-so-techie fellas) and a full specs page which also happens to be the final step of the tour.

The more rational and knowledgeable people can go straight to the specs and skip the tour. But people that doesn't know so much about technology can take a tour and get to know all the things you can do with a Pyra.

There's a famous saying in advertising and marketing:
"People don't buy drills, people buy holes"

I think we should sell both: the drill AND all the holes you can make with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Agree with Levi, If you cant show it to someone on your smartphone it isnt good. There is the wiki for that.

Lower the barrier of entry as much as possible. That is true regardless of how niche it is in itself. Lets stop saying its a niche device, it isnt. Not primarily.

The pandora was, with some goodwill now the pandora is almost not.

Id say they both capture a niche of the market, but in terms of marketing niche is the same as saying indie.

I have always wanted to use cakephp to build a website, also if you want to speed up the responsive designing side bootstrap is a good idea since its done for you and is lightweight.

I'd love to use angular js too :)
Bootstrap is great. So easy to build fast once you get the hang of it. 

I was looking at angular.js earlier today. I'm currently playing around with knockout.js a bit in a small project for a friends business. Seems like angular.js is much the same but much much bigger. wouldn't mind having a go.

Haven't ever done aything with or looked into cakephp so no strong opinion either way there.

I think Drupal would be nice, as it is full costumizable and can be pimped with as many add ons. You only have to be selective to not bloat the page for the enduser.
0372-02_cms_learning_curve.jpg

Not sure if anyone else feels strongly about Drupal but above picture has got me a bit worried. I had a look at it once for a project and decided against it as the amount of learning I'd have to do without any guarantee of more Drupal work in the future made it a losing proposition. 

I'd prefer Django as I'd like to become proficient in Python and I see lot's of use for it in not only web development but also other areas of programming.

So for purely selfish reasons, rather not Drupal :) Of course I'll step up and get stuck in if the decision is made that Drupal is the way to go.

Ok, so I like that Pyras theme is Red, fire and gingers, great! But please don't use a ton of red on the website <_< ; I don't know about other people but my eyes are sensitive to red.

Also, I like this website, why cant we just make a Pyra version of openpandora.org?

Also, I like this website, why cant we just make a Pyra version of openpandora.org?
Because it would be nice to have a unified look/feel across the whole caboodle.

There are lots of defferent websites related to the pandora and they don't work well at all together.

• Forums
  • Wiki
  • Main promotional page
  • Shop
  • Repo

Also, the current mini site promoting the pandora is a bit meh. It doesn't really provide a good experience accorss a range of screen sizes/shapes, and is not at all geared towards updates.

Furthurmore, there is no nice gateway to everything, with a picture of the device, and links to the various resources, "Introduction" "specs" "user manual" "forums" "photos" "software", etc

Since we've got a chance to get it all right, we should at least try.

A nicely customized Wordpress would probably not be a bad idea. It's easy enough to set up, to delegate anything to anyone you want, and it has tons of plugins that are easy to install. You just have to avoid a bit the feeling of "oh no, another Wordpress website", that is, don't use default or common themes and styles (that's almost as cheesy as decorating a brochure with default clipart from some word processor, you don't want to do that).

well I didn't mean the use of gifs (quality is terrible) but that kind of animation used in a simmilar way like some companies have some kind of intro to their website (I will look for an example ...)

edit: didn't find what I was looking for ... (natsume.com is closest to what I was imaging and a very bad example at the same time ...)

A nicely customized Wordpress would probably not be a bad idea. It's easy enough to set up, to delegate anything to anyone you want, and it has tons of plugins that are easy to install. You just have to avoid a bit the feeling of "oh no, another Wordpress website", that is, don't use default or common themes and styles (that's almost as cheesy as decorating a brochure with default clipart from some word processor, you don't want to do that).
We'd use WordPress as the backend. Theme will be built from scratch.

Adapting an existing theme is more work in my experience.

So the visitor won't be able to see in any way that it's built on WordPress unless they check the source. Example of a site I built on WordPress (and Bootstrap) here : www.vangilse.nl

My goal is to have one website with one login for all of those - so bridging them together for the login data with one main website.
Dislike. Due to security reasons. If your account is hacked, you may have to fix damage on the board and the wiki too.
If a user uses one password for all it's his responsibility. But i'd like to keep the option for different passwords.
Well, there's not really much damage that can happen.

If a user account is hacked, the Wiki could be changed (can be undone), forum posts can be made (can be removed), files could be uploaded to the repo.

There's nothing really that would cause major issues.

There will never be an integrated shop - so no sensible data either.

I can imagine most users use the same login details for the boards and the repo, so if both have their own database, the chance of being hacked is higher than if it would be one authentications system.

Back