Website - Basic Ideas

Well, I'd still try to help with organization as good as possible, but I'd still love to have someone who knows what everyone is doing (as I'm not into webdesign and coding...)

I think it's a bad idea to assume a lot of horizontal space.

* The pandora screen could be considered "letterboxy" but it's only 800 px wide. - narrower than many 4:3 screens in practice.

* vertical scrolling is easy. Horizontal scrolling can be a pain in the arse, especially if you end up having to do it on every line.

- Neelix
Do we not know WHAT the future (near production?) Pandora/Pyra is going to be?  I'm sure that the inherent resolution that's been decided upon will take into consideration THAT space.  If not?  Then that's why were still confused....but that's okay.

P.S.  I also endorse bringing on Ekianjo as a consultant.  He know's his stuff, and he KNOWS how to market the Pandora.

He know's his stuff, and he KNOWS how to market the Pandora.
haha thanks for all the support guys.

"Consultant" is the right word there, I think. I'm pretty busy with a number of things and I can't just spend all my free time in making the Pyra website, but I'd definitely like to be involved in the design part.

Do we not know WHAT the future (near production?) Pandora/Pyra is going to be? I'm sure that the inherent resolution that's been decided upon will take into consideration THAT space. If not? Then that's why were still confused....but that's okay.
That is known... but it's also completely irrelevant to my point. I was just using the Pandora's screen as an example.

- Neelix

Do we not know WHAT the future (near production?) Pandora/Pyra is going to be? I'm sure that the inherent resolution that's been decided upon will take into consideration THAT space. If not? Then that's why were still confused....but that's okay.
That is known... but it's also completely irrelevant to my point. I was just using the Pandora's screen as an example.

- Neelix
"known"? The specs/dimensions of the screen are known?

I guess not.

Merged - Binky

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I don't have enough time/management skills to lead the design/html/css part.

I'd suggest ekianjo, but he already said he prefers to have a consultant role.

Maybe instead of a single leader we should form a sort of committee -or whatever you want to call it- for front end and another one for back end development. And ED would be taking the final decisions on both.

Hello, MediaWiki contributor here, nice to meet you.

For translations [...] translation system on the wiki can be used too, maybe. Depends on what happens after the upgrade of mediawiki.
Nothing bad should happen with Translate after the upgrade, bad things happen without upgrades. :) All the recent releases are compatible with 1.21 and later. https://www.mediawiki.org/wiki/MLEB Several wikis are already using Translate with 1.23 and 1.24alpha. https://wikiapiary.com/wiki/Extension:Translate

And yes, you can also use Translate to translate docs you happened to maintain outside the wiki (in Gettext?) or the software itself, as done on translatewiki.net. If you want to dive into the how, see docs for devs.

Hello,

I don't have enough time/management skills to lead the design/html/css part.

I'd suggest ekianjo, but he already said he prefers to have a consultant role.

Maybe instead of a single leader we should form a sort of committee -or whatever you want to call it- for front end and another one for back end development. And ED would be taking the final decisions on both.
Dresha already took on the role of project leader. It's good to have one single person who is responsible (who is not ED because he has enough to do).

Heyho,

for the stuff I've been reading here I would prefer Drupal 7 as a CMS of choice.

Pro:

- Security -> it gets frequent updates 

- Extensions -> there's a huge pool of modules out there, waiting to be used (or do it yourself)

- heavy server-side -> drupal is a monster, but not on the client which is, what we need

- kinda user-friendly -> backend customization can be done pretty quick, without much knowledge

- fast to develop a basic page with menus and other stuff

- localization -> everything can be translated (the backend for that is a bit crappy...)

Con:

- the learning curve... but it can be done^^

- design -> my co-workers always complain about the stupid html structure (I'm just saying, I'm not a designer)

Since the repo hasn't been touched, jet, and there are just 4,5 months to go, we should really getting started

Thank you for your opinion. I would have gone with drupal 7 too, but at the moment we will go with ip.content. As we then have the option to start fast with the forum and the website which are the core segments.

Back