Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

Mikey242 said:
Alex. said:
Wait... why exactly should the game run at a higher FPS? :-/ I'll do the fast forward thing for the next update, and it will run at something like x3 the normal speed.
I really like this idea (thanks again fusion!)

Uh, actually, this was not an Idea. ^^ I wanted to say, that the game should stay at its 30FPS.

A sound per shoot would be really bad, especially, when you build many turrets with multiple shoots. :lol:

My buddy had an interesting thought about the balance. At the moment, we need upgrated towers even for the first wave, wich is stupid because this way, non updated towers have no much sense in the whole game. The balance should alter to the point, we can defeat the first wave(s) without updating turrets.

Last edited by a moderator:
I just got through the first 4 waves with just 7 un-upgraded earth turrets, but after that you should consider upgrading, that's just part of the game. (Complicated Way map).

Anywho, maybe the starting money per creature should be $3 instead of $2, that would give people a chance to build a stronger defense.

reiboul said:
atomicthumbs said:
1. Some sort of real barricade, that you could place in the path of the enemies to block them for a while. It dissolves after the enimies push on it for a while.
This reminds me of the only TowerDefense game I played before Sqdef, a mod for Warcraft 3, where you used to build tower ON the path, not on the border, so you were making labyrinth with towers to stop enemies, and that gave us lots of strategies on how to place turrets to slower enemies, etc :)

It could be doable, but you'll need to double the path's width and shrink the towers by 2 to have real possibilities, that would totally change the game -_-' so I don't think you'll choose that gameplay :)

What I meant would just be like two towers, side by side to put in the path. They would be kind of expensive, do no damage to the enemy, and would collapse after a little while. Bosses would knock them down faster.

Also, I just got to level 42 - with enough factories to get me $1600 each turn, three megatowers, tons and tons of fire towers, and some sentinel outposts. Fun fun fun!

atomicthumbs said:
What I meant would just be like two towers, side by side to put in the path. They would be kind of expensive, do no damage to the enemy, and would collapse after a little while. Bosses would knock them down faster.
this sort of sounds like a 'frost' tower from other TD's. I think alex was saying he was thinking of having a tower that slows enemies.

@Alex - the balance is looking pretty good (for maps like complicated way, i.e. long pathway and lots of tower/turret coverage). It would be good to have the barricades be a little stronger when combined into one (for bosses) and how about making the flood towers have a resale value of 8? (it's real easy to scrap and rebuild them, over and over without much penalty right now.. and an 8 resale value will slightly deter this for the beginning maps.

I didn't have to upgrade towers until after the first boss on wave 5. (I can get up to boss 2, on wave 10 without losing a life on complicated way, losing only one life against him) :eek:

also how about for the final upgrade of turrets you make it equivalent to a 'double upgrade'?

ahh... lots of opinions from everyone on where to go from here :lol:

prairiefire said:
atomicthumbs said:
this sort of sounds like a 'frost' tower from other TD's. I think alex was saying he was thinking of having a tower that slows enemies.

Basically what I'm talking about is a wall to put in the path of other enemies. :)

OMFG ID DID IT AT LAST I BEAT 45 WAVES! PICTURES TO PROVE IT!

sqdefpic119fi3.png

That's the final boss, about to be defeated. :) Lots of fire turrets, sentinel outposts, and a mega turret, and selling all of my factories to buy lives did it! I win the ultimate prize!

atomicthumbs said:

sqdefpic119fi3.png

That's the final boss, about to be defeated. :) Lots of fire turrets, sentinel outposts, and a mega turret, and selling all of my factories to buy lives did it! I win the ultimate prize!
Nice work dude! :) Perhaps I should leave the balance as it is, and not make it any easier, except for having more powerful upgrades for the Ice Turret :)

prairiefire: what do you mean the final upgrade act as a 'double upgrade'?

Alex. said:
atomicthumbs said:

sqdefpic119fi3.png

Nice work dude! :) Perhaps I should leave the balance as it is, and not make it any easier, except for having more powerful upgrades for the Ice Turret :)

Because ONE person was able to reach the last Wave on a easy map, you shouldn't cancel the easier balance I think ;) HP of enemies could stay at the end, I would prefer easier first waves, more money and booster buildings. :) I'm pretty sure, nobody will come so far on Multi Path maps, here we need more Firepower. Maybe on MP-Maps you could unloock special Towers to make the life easier there. Hm, I have to try it out at other single path maps, wanna reach last Boss. Impressive work, atomicthumbs. I'm still hanging on wave 42 and I rebuild and sell and rebuild the Super Towers instantly to double, and tripple my firepower during on wave. Not the best tactic, I know. ^^""

fusion_power said:
Because ONE person was able to reach the last Wave on a easy map, you shouldn't cancel the easier balance I think ;) HP of enemies could stay at the end, I would prefer easier first waves, more money and booster buildings. :) I'm pretty sure, nobody will come so far on Multi Path maps, here we need more Firepower. Maybe on MP-Maps you could unloock special Towers to make the life easier there. Hm, I have to try it out at other single path maps, wanna reach last Boss. Impressive work, atomicthumbs. I'm still hanging on wave 42 and I rebuild and sell and rebuild the Super Towers instantly to double, and tripple my firepower during on wave. Not the best tactic, I know. ^^""
agreed ^^

Even a simple map is damn hard to finish, so please add 1$ for each creature :)

*edit* this and frost towers could give a nice balance, so why not test it? :)

BOOKA!

finish45lm4.png

:D

At the end, to make the best of the Interest (with "some" Depots), it's much easier and more effective to loosing lives and buying new ones instead of building Towers.
On symetric Maps like the horseshoe you can better calculate, if a enemy will survive. If you build symetric and a enemy has more than 50% lives at the half way, he survives usualy. :)

I'm waiting for someone, who reach Wave 45 on a Multi Path map. ^^

That looks beautiful :')

I altered the balance a bit. You get more money starting on wave 25 (+4) and 35 (+2), the Ice Turret has stronger upgrades, and Barricades are a bit stronger, too. Oh, and Depots give 1% interest, instead of 0.5%.

I will post an update soon.

Alex. said:
That looks beautiful :')
Modern Art. :D

1% per Deopt seems to be a good compromise, now that I know how to use them. ^^ I'm waiting for the update to test everything out. Want to see, what the new Ice turrets can do. I remember on Alpha 1 where I was able to beat a map only with Ice Turrets :lol:

Oh, and yes, I was able to have a better usage for the Earth turrets. They are useful at the beginning of the game here and there.

Great news.

What the hell is that 2x2 tower in that screenshot?
And could someone post some strategies?
I can`t manage to beat the 24th wave...

You know what's annoying about this game? When you die, you're like "fuck this game, I'm not starting for the very beginning over again".

You should have something so that you can start directly at a high level you've already reached, I guess. To do so I guess it would be cool if merely reaching that milestone level once unlocked direct access to it for the level on which it was reached, and so you could start directly from there, but with everything to build and an amount of cash predefined or calculated using some formula of your choice...

This way when you'd die at level 18 on a certain map you wouldn't have to start it all over again just to go further. And saves aren't really a solution in that case you most likely want to start from a blank map, possibly to test different configurations.

I think that in a level-based game, it's essential to really on something else than saves or starting the whole thing again to go on playing the game, something else is important such as being able to have a fresh new start not far away from where you previously failed.

I understand your suggestion, but it would be very tricky to get right. Would it be fair to start with 100% the number of lives? Would it be fair to start with all the money from previously killed waves, or at least 85% of them?

I know this is a level-based game, but in a way it isn't. You rely on your actions from the previous levels not only to advance to the next level, but also to be able to defeat it.

I will do some improvements that will hopefully make saves more attractive, such as some stats displayed next to the selected slot (money, level, lives left) as well as a small graphical preview of the map the game is played on. There will also be hiscores and medals, so that will be another incentive to start from the beginning and do your best.

Quiest: build 4 Barricades (of any kinds) in a 2x2 square. It wasn't a good idea of me to keep this a secret, it's pretty necessary to win the game :)

Quiest said:
Great news.

What the hell is that 2x2 tower in that screenshot?
Super secret Tower! To unlock 'em you have to build every possible Turret and Tower 3X, than sell every 2., then click at every corner of the screen, then save, then reload, then push all Buttons and turn your GP2X 360° ...now the Secret Tower is unlocked... ;)
Alex. said:
Quiest: build 4 Barricades (of any kinds) in a 2x2 square. It wasn't a good idea of me to keep this a secret, it's pretty necessary to win the game :)
...or so.... :lol:

A_SN said:
I think that in a level-based game, it's essential to really on something else than saves or starting the whole thing again to go on playing the game, something else is important such as being able to have a fresh new start not far away from where you previously failed.
The Idea of such games is to play it from the beginning and develop your defense over the rounds. I see no sense to start somwhere in the middle of a game from scratch. The goal is to build the most effective defense, not to just reach the End. ^^"""

Besides, with scoresystem, the whole thing get's more funny because then you play to have the best scores instead of just playing to reach the end. With Highscores we have a reason to play every map more often and even 10 Waves can be fun when we are on the score-hunt :)

EDIT: I was able to survive 45 Waves on the "Omega" Map. A more better map, than I thought. :)

Nice job once again, fusion :)

Here's a formula for score calculation, what do you guys think?

waves_passed * 10000 + lives * 1000 + total_creatures_killed * 100 + (money + total_resale_value_of_current_buildings)

I decided not to take into account how fast you kill creatures or anything like that, because some maps do not allow for good building spots at the very beginning of the creatures' path.

Well idk, guys, I get the idea that it's kind of against the spirit of the game and all, but it's all about making something really annoying about the game go away. It's all about fun vs. annoying.

Lots of other games do that, just look at how they do.

Back