Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

Nice! I am very excited about the homebrew thats about to hit the GP2X. This Sqdef defense game and XaMMaX's Sudoku2x game are both looking amazing!

Last edited by a moderator:
Alex. posted on Mar 10 2007 at 12:26 PM said:
Update: finalized hud design (I updated the screen above), and added six more types of turrets, all basic.
more turrets the better!
also I really like the hud
thumbsup.gif

For font, make a 1 or 2 px font (or find one) and add a 1 px stroke. It's the best looking and easiest to read when small.

PoisonedV posted on Mar 13 2007 at 01:48 PM said:
For font, make a 1 or 2 px font (or find one) and add a 1 px stroke. It's the best looking and easiest to read when small.
That's a nice idea, but I think it looks a bit chunkier than I'd like it to be in this case.

Updates coming soon

- Alex

Alex. posted on Mar 14 2007 at 01:39 PM said:
Updates coming soon

- Alex

Too much good news lately :blink:

BTW. sorry if it's already asked or discussed, but will it be easy to edit or add new levels?

B)-->
b._.o._.b said:
BTW. sorry if it's already asked or discussed, but will it be easy to edit or add new levels?
The levels will be built in; in the first release there will only be 2 or 3 maps, but the next one will have a lot. After that I'll consider making a level editor.

- Alex

Wow, this looks amazing.

Your GUI and graphical programming is really astounding. You make the interface look very sleek and usable, and the colour scheme really works. The menu fits wonderfully with the graphical style of the game itself. It's absolutely brilliant, I wish I could do that so well.

I've never played a tower defence style game, so I'm intrigued to see this.

Here's a quick update.

- added money system (you spend it on turrets, and soon on upgrades and research, and earn it from kills)
- turrets have a shooting range, before they shot everything regardless of distance
- creatures eventually die when fired upon
- added a kills counter in bottom-left little box with the little square icon

It doesn't sound like anything big I know, but I did a lot of work on things that will come together a bit later on. Here are the newest screens:

SqDef-pic0-830%20copy.png
SqDef-pic1-303%20copy.png

I will get rid of two of the basic turrets, as 8 are way too many, and in their place I'll show stats describing the highlighted turret (cost, damage, range, etc.)

Thanks for all the kind words and encouragements :)

@purple_goat: when it's ready ;)

- Alex

purple_goat posted on Mar 15 2007 at 04:07 PM said:
how about a way to make custom tiles (for mosters, towers, shots, etc)?
So far I'm having a lot of fun creating the visuals, so I will keep the whole design fixed (for now).

Here's a small update, the display of turret details in the buy menu on the top-most bar. That bar is only shown in the buy menu. I think the info is better displayed this way rather than in a cluttered box to the right of the turret icons.

SqDef-pic3-834%20copy.png

- Alex

How about, you display the range with sort of a radius circle or something, like it's been done in tower2x. I liked that, it makes planning where to set up your towers easier and more strategic. Also, eventually showing the firing rate in shots per second aswell...

xnopasaranx posted on Mar 16 2007 at 04:52 AM said:
How about, you display the range with sort of a radius circle or something, like it's been done in tower2x. I liked that, it makes planning where to set up your towers easier and more strategic. Also, eventually showing the firing rate in shots per second aswell...
Good ideas, thanks! :)

Oops, nasty double-post :x

SqDef-pic3-795%20copy1.png
SqDef-pic4-776%20copy.png

The turret’s fire range is now displayed when searching the map for a spot to build it (the green circle). Also, the turret fire rates are displayed as a number per second rather than a word quantity. Thanks xnopasaranx for these helpful suggestions :)

I also added support for map scenery (see those little rocks?), that should give maps more variety and make the whole game more strategic, as you can’t build turrets over them (most likely there’ll be a way to get rid of them, but it will be costly ;-).

I also fixed some bugs and made some small cosmetic changes.

- Alex

Fantastic, looks like you're making great progress!

Could you describe how you place, select and upgrade the towers, is it all with the stick or do you also use shortcuts (like L/R button)?
Thanks for the teaser thread ;)

crap, this looks awsome!!! when will there be a release for it?!!

(yeah i really want to play this :D )

Back