Sqdef, My Tower-defense Game

xnopasaranx said:
maybe you could also show little white numbers on the turrets indicating the upgrade level or something similar.
YES! :) After playing the bigger Tower Defense Flash Game (it's working offline!) I think such a solution would be the easiest. Just little Numbers in the Turrets appearing when clicking on them indicate the Level of update - simple and clear and no other graphics are needed for the turrets. :)
(Besides, this bigger TD-Flash Game is not that great, I don't like the way it goes without seperated levels and endless creature float. Very stressful. Starting each new level manualy would be much better, even in SQDef. ;) )

EDIT: it seems, that my buddy has more talent for such games than me. :lol: He could beat lvl. 39 of FlashElementTD, I usualy die in this level (but I'm working on it). He also can manage his Money much better than me ^^""""

Last edited by a moderator:
don't you guys know that for big score points you have to stick with canons and only upgrade your interest rate? :) This is something I felt that was lacking from the original flash game, you could win easily after playing only a few times, and the whole point of the game turned into who could do it with the most money left over.. i'd prefer having a tougher game where if you win, then that's the reward! This looks like it's headed in that direction (sqdef). Keep up the good work Alex. This game will most certainly rock.

norm said:
anymore news on this yet - im desprate to play it

you got music sorted for this yet alex?
I didn't work on this for a couple of days, last time I was working on the map editor.

I've got no music for it. I was going to stick to game sfx, but if you have something in mind, I'm all up for it. I was thinking that constant music playback would slow the game quite a lot in the busier times with lots of buildings bullets, that's why I'm reluctant to using it.

Alex. said:
norm said:
anymore news on this yet - im desprate to play it

you got music sorted for this yet alex?
I didn't work on this for a couple of days, last time I was working on the map editor.

I've got no music for it. I was going to stick to game sfx, but if you have something in mind, I'm all up for it. I was thinking that constant music playback would slow the game quite a lot in the busier times with lots of buildings bullets, that's why I'm reluctant to using it.
fair do's - if you've still got those tracks i sent you ages ago feel free to use if u fancy

norm said:
fair do's - if you've still got those tracks i sent you ages ago feel free to use if u fancy
My hdd crashed since then, good thing for GMail's generous storage space! I'll see how overall performance will be towards the end, and decide if it's feasible to add them then :) Thanks!

hey alex, how about those suggestions for displaying the upgraded towers? are you planning to implement any of those?

xnopasaranx said:
hey alex, how about those suggestions for displaying the upgraded towers? are you planning to implement any of those?
Sure, just as soon as I'll implement upgrading towers :) Some special turrets have a design inside the box, so I'm not sure how good a numbered drawn in the middle would look for them. I was thinking perhaps displaying a meter bar, sort of like the creatures' life bar, but segmented.

Unfortunately now I've got some exams on my hands, I'll resume work on this sometime in May. (cramming 3000 years of history in 7 days, how fun, how fun, topped with idiotic programming-on-paper in between :wacko:)

Alex. said:
xnopasaranx said:
Sure, just as soon as I'll implement upgrading towers :) Some special turrets have a design inside the box, so I'm not sure how good a numbered drawn in the middle would look for them. I was thinking perhaps displaying a meter bar, sort of like the creatures' life bar, but segmented.

Unfortunately now I've got some exams on my hands, I'll resume work on this sometime in May. (cramming 3000 years of history in 7 days, how fun, how fun, topped with idiotic programming-on-paper in between :wacko:)
what about color changing? (darker/lighter with more levels?)

and good use of :wacko: smiley :lol:

purple_goat said:
what about color changing? (darker/lighter with more levels?)
That's a very nice and subtle way of showing it, but I think it's more clear with a meter bar.

that meterbar is a nice idea. I wasn't thinking of numbers in the middle but rather in the corner of the tile. The meterbar will certainly look nicer though. good luck with your exams, mate!

Today I worked a bit more on this, mainly on menus and creatures' path finding. In the process I eliminated lots of map design restrictions, so now weird maps everyone will hate are a potential reality :lol:

SqDef-pic0-851.png
SqDef-pic0-893.png

Alex. said:
Today I worked a bit more on this, mainly on menus and creatures' path finding. In the process I eliminated lots of map design restrictions, so now weird maps everyone will hate are a potential reality :lol:

SqDef-pic0-851.png
SqDef-pic0-893.png
This really looks hard! Damn, who gave you the crazy Idea of maze-like creature paths? :lol:

Can't wait to play (and loose? ) the game! ;)

Nice maps Alex! The concept of this game is terrific, there are endless ways of playing it.
You could also try the Desktop Tower Defense approach and make the field completely empty. Of course on a map like this you need to accept building on the same territory as the creeps.

Back