Release Starcraft

Been playing the Terran campaign on the metro, working great so far. Thanks for this, Notaz.

Blizzard  - please don't get all litigious, this creation can only do you good.

This is great, gameplay seems nice and smooth so far. Hopefully Blizzard won't take any notice to this, I wouldn't want notaz or ED to wind up in their crosshairs.

On a side note, I have a love/hate relationship with Blizzard. I love them for creating Warcraft/Starcraft 1 but hate them for not creating Warcraft 4! ;)

with the latest update and the fixes notaz made i can now successfully join a lan game and play! very cool! I can already see people go crazy about the pandora in korea!

With the update, it seems pretty much perfect... played two of the later terran levels last night using just the touch screen and keyboard... very playable.

The only real complaint I have about using the touch screen is it can be tricky to be precise with building placement... as essentially there's no hover....

Hmm, I must try this when I get home... but would it be possible to use left nub as mouse hover, the keyboard for commands and press enter when you're happy with your building placement to execute the command.

Using the nub and stylus together for building placement could work, as long as you remember to tap exactly where the cursor is.

I still get some hardly noticeable slow down when scrolling with the dpad.

I must do a more accurate test, but this game appears to drain the battery fairly quickly.

I played a multiplayer game by myself(so alone...), my rebirth running @600mhz and my 1Ghz Pandora. there may have been a little hesitation when running at 600Mhz, but it wasn't really noticeable. I spent time on both sides trying out and building all the Terran and Protoss units/upgrades checking for bugs.. couldn't find any..

Got to fire up my CC unit and do a three way lonely fight.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm probably being dumb but.........

I have installed the CD version on my laptop (Starcraft and brood war)

applied the 1.161 patch

Copied the 2 install files and renamed them both

........then when I try to run the game (on laptop) it insists I insert the CD again and won't run without it

Anyone, any ideas please?

CJ

You need to copy everything from the install dir (Program Files\StarCraft) and those two files on the CD.

Amazing port!

One question though: Would it be in anyway possible to hack the game to allow 800x480? The screen is tiny enough so that it's sad to "waste" those black borders :(

This stuff is truly mind blowing!

Never thought this could be achieved, it could only be Notaz!

One question though: Would it be in anyway possible to hack the game to allow 800x480? The screen is tiny enough so that it's sad to "waste" those black borders :(
 No, you can't modify this kind of things I think. It's a direct recompilation, you can't just modify the sources.
Of course you can. The question is "just", how hard it it to find the specific code and to change it.There are resolution hacks for starcraft! But I don't know, how they work and whether they can applied here.

No, you can't modify this kind of things I think. It's a direct recompilation, you can't just modify the sources.
Stand corrected: http://www.wsgf.org/dr/starcraft

All Starcraft widescreen/HD-mods I tested had some severe flaws though.

I am playing as many of my old sprite based games in HD as possible and Diablo 2 LoD, Fallout 1+2, Heroes of Might and Magic 3 and lots of others work very well this way.

That's the great thing about PC gaming: Support does not simply end only because the company doesn't care anymore.

I made a topic about widescreen classic gaming on the German boards back then: http://forum.gp2x.de/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13580

Not all of them are game engine recreations.

Stretching would be bad for the gameplay, at least for old-time users like me.

Back