Starving For Pandora!

Bernstein229 said:
I've been modding my wii. I can't wait for a gui linux for it.
You don't need to mod it, just get Twilight Princess, the special save, and install the homebrew channel on it. Then you can launch whatever you want, including linux.

Last edited by a moderator:
Getting insomnia and dusting off my ancient mame discs, wondering if they will work with the pandora emu.

Bernstein229 said:
You can get the gui with a little work, it helps that whiite-linux is basically just Debian PPC. You need a USB keyboard, of course, and it helps to have the USB LAN adapter as well, but it's not actually necessary.

I've now finally gotten around to ripping all of my PSX discs. :) Maybe I'll finally get around to finishing some of the ones I haven't yet had time to finish.

PSyMastR said:
Bernstein229 said:
You don't need to mod it, just get Twilight Princess, the special save, and install the homebrew channel on it. Then you can launch whatever you want, including linux.

Thats what I did.

Prometheus said:
I've now finally gotten around to ripping all of my PSX discs. :) Maybe I'll finally get around to finishing some of the ones I haven't yet had time to finish.
Some of my discs went bad, so I had to download them. Most of my library is mint but damn, the second disc of FF8....
Legend of the Dragoon, FFVII_Ja, Omega Boost... can't wait for those, on the go, rendered at Pandora native resolution.

Bernstein229 said:
PSyMastR said:
Bernstein229 said:

Thats what I did.

Modding usually implies a hardware modification of some kind, sort of like a modchip. What you did was a buffer overflow glitch and a prepackaged installer, not really modding.

AireTamStorm said:
Prometheus said:
Some of my discs went bad, so I had to download them. Most of my library is mint but damn, the second disc of FF8....
Legend of the Dragoon, FFVII_Ja, Omega Boost... can't wait for those, on the go, rendered at Pandora native resolution.

Thankfully I've only had one disc become damaged over time (Klonoa - Door to Phantomile), and by the time it happened it was one which I had already ripped some time ago to prevent loading time issues in some emulators. I was lucky, there, I think. Not that it got damaged, but that I wanted to play it again enough that I felt a need to rip it when I did. :lol: It will be one of the first games I try out on the Pandora, of course. :)

I've just started to venture into the world of programming by teaching myself Visual Basic. It's so simple to understand, but I hope using it will make learning C++ easier.

Falcon Delta said:
I've just started to venture into the world of programming by teaching myself Visual Basic. It's so simple to understand, but I hope using it will make learning C++ easier.
It probably won't, but it can't hurt. Either one of Python or Ruby would help, though.

And I do want a pandora.

sindbad said:
Falcon Delta said:
It probably won't, but it can't hurt. Either one of Python or Ruby would help, though.

And I do want a pandora.

Actually, it can hurt. The VB programming paradigm is very different from C++. I've known a lot of great VB programmers that just can't wrap their heads around classes and pointers, to say nothing of linear vs event driven programming.

My Wii has also been "modded" ;)
I actually thought I was going to have to do a real mod sometime in the future to use DVDs, but now that seems a thing of the past! Viva la Revolution! (pun intended)

Azure said:
palmertech said:
@Azure: How is FF4? Not many reviews by people who are not completely taken with the FF series, I would love an opinion on it.
I haven't had too much time to play it, but I'd agree with WizardStan's comments for the most part. I did play the original, so it is interesting playing through the game in a 3D environment. However, I personally felt that the new character designs of the characters looks rather odd/awkward (I understand that they're not trying to go for something realistic, but the characters to me look child-like, bone-y, and lack body/muscle mass). Good voice-acting/script writing is usually hard to find in a game, and, while it's not the worst, I feel it could be better. Gameplay is nothing out of the ordinary for an RPG (I figure if you've decided to pick it up you know what you're getting yourself into). The game is noticeably more difficult than the SNES version, which I see as a welcomed change (though it can be boring having to spend time in long battles as you try to level up your characters just so you can stand a chance against a buffed up boss). All in all, it's decent and worth looking into if you played in the original. If you've never played the original, I'm not sure if it'd be worth buying (of course, I'm using an R4, so...).

I also played the original, and I'm near the end of the DS game now. I'm sort of shocked by how close the remake actually feels to the original though, almost too close for my liking. The supposed enemy tactic changes are very minor, though I did notice in particular that goblins now have more HP. The game may be more difficult than FF2 on snes, but I wouldn't really say it's as hard as the Japanese or Playstation versions of FF4. I've breezed through it up until the point I'm at.

Overall though, it's an excellent DS RPG with a nice graphic style, and worth a play to any RPG fan.

Prometheus said:
Thankfully I've only had one disc become damaged over time (Klonoa - Door to Phantomile), and by the time it happened it was one which I had already ripped some time ago to prevent loading time issues in some emulators. I was lucky, there, I think. Not that it got damaged, but that I wanted to play it again enough that I felt a need to rip it when I did. :lol: It will be one of the first games I try out on the Pandora, of course. :)
Yeah, the early news of a fullspeed PS1 emulator brought tons of my favorite titles to the device. Funny thing being, I never owned a PS1 or PS2. :lol:

I write tons of nonsensical php scripts, eat, sleep, and do stuff like with the stuffities in stuff and stuff

I was just reading about a new portable led screen for the wii, and it was enticing to get, but then I said "eh, I think I'll just wait for the pandora." Unfortunately know I want a pandora more.

javaJake said:
I'm living my life, and then every so often I wonder if the Pandora will ever see the light of day at this rate. -_-
Agreed, man. I've lost absolutely all hope for an August preorder, and a September preorder even seems far-fetched at this point. I'll wait as long as it takes for this thing to come out, but damn, it better be good for the wait and the money I'm shelling out on all the fixin's. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even really mind if preorders started in October or even November, I'd just like to be TOLD that that's when they'll be starting. In all honesty, I don't get what all this secretive crap is, being all shady about the time of release. "When it's done" is only a good answer for so long.

I just hope Pandora doesn't end up like the GamePort. That thing was all but completed, they had prototypes of it, ready to go to production, and a fairly interested user-base, and then out of nowhere, it vanished. And of course no one needs to be reminded of the XGP...

Back