Starving For Pandora!

sindbad said:
It probably won't, but it can't hurt. Either one of Python or Ruby would help, though.

And I do want a pandora.
Would you suggest I hold off on C++ and try Python (or Ruby) first?

Last edited by a moderator:
CronoTriggerfan said:
javaJake said:
I'm living my life, and then every so often I wonder if the Pandora will ever see the light of day at this rate. -_-
Agreed, man. I've lost absolutely all hope for an August preorder, and a September preorder even seems far-fetched at this point. I'll wait as long as it takes for this thing to come out, but damn, it better be good for the wait and the money I'm shelling out on all the fixin's. To tell you the truth, I wouldn't even really mind if preorders started in October or even November, I'd just like to be TOLD that that's when they'll be starting. In all honesty, I don't get what all this secretive crap is, being all shady about the time of release. "When it's done" is only a good answer for so long.

I just hope Pandora doesn't end up like the GamePort. That thing was all but completed, they had prototypes of it, ready to go to production, and a fairly interested user-base, and then out of nowhere, it vanished. And of course no one needs to be reminded of the XGP...I am sure it will see the light of day and don't want to keep beating the developers up. I do sympathise with a better clue - had I known in March/April how long we would be waiting I would have got an F200 and possibly got 8 or 9 months out of it before my Pandora arrived.

as it's now halfway through August, the pre-order date can be no more than 2 weeks away ^^

so long as the launch is actually going to happen in september...

pissed me off that they kept moving the release date too, remember when it was going to be launched in March? and then April/June? then June/July?
even the article on the official ARM website says it was due to debut "this month"... the post was from May. xD

CC_machine said:
as it's now halfway through August, the pre-order date can be no more than 2 weeks away ^^

so long as the launch is actually going to happen in september...

pissed me off that they kept moving the release date too, remember when it was going to be launched in March? and then April/June? then June/July?
even the article on the official ARM website says it was due to debut "this month"... the post was from May. xD

In May I joked about the developers reading the forums would delay the Pandora to September:

TaG said:
rahulgarg said:
TaG said:
Shock news: Pandora delayed until September as all the devs are too busy reading the forums.... ;)
Apparently that turned out to be true :)QUOTE
There's many a true word spoken in jest.
Must admit, it seemed a silly throw away comment back then...
That seemed a silly idea when I joked.
Others asked will the Pandora be released in November, which was the date quoted elsewhere for BeagleBoard Rev C. 'Don't be silly' was the gist of the reply. :unsure:

It's difficult for the developers to get the mix between information and reality right - as dates are often unpredictable for these sorts of projects, but in the absence of information people will speculate.

nim said:
go python. more likely you'll be using it again even if you learn it to hop over to c++.
Ruby is an impressive language, though, you have to admit. Everything being an object makes string manipulation the easiest I've ever seen. Python is on the more common side so I'll probably write my interfaces in it.

AireTamStorm said:
nim said:
go python. more likely you'll be using it again even if you learn it to hop over to c++.
Ruby is an impressive language, though, you have to admit. Everything being an object makes string manipulation the easiest I've ever seen. Python is on the more common side so I'll probably write my interfaces in it.Just nitpicking, but everything is an object in python as well. It's just considered bad manners to.have().many().method().calls().stringed().together:)

Try some small projects in each of them and see what fits your brain. I went with python, but still use ruby occasionally.

Preorders will begin September 30th, 2008

Pandora will begin shipping Nov. 13th, 2008

Perhaps a pre-preorder for GP32X people can be established on September 15th for those who know they want one and don't mind paying sooner to guarantee their system? I guess that will be up to individuals to decide; totally optional of course.

This is my closest estimate based on lead times I see today. The 13th is my birthday, but mid-November is more accurate. :) Sorry, it's a big project with few people. I'm trying for October, but why kid myself? This is more realistic. The launch will happen, but it will blow every time line we have ever established. Everyone here knows this isn't being done by a huge company with a mega staff so I truly hope the core of this community understands and respects that. As Craig always says, this has to be done right the first time.

Anyone who thinks they can come along and just whip one of these devices out (like the Zephyr) is totally kidding themselves. It is a huge, huge task! I haven't seen Chad in a while but I'm sure he'll be back to rip me a new one, but what can I do? I'm just one guy and I am already on this seven days a week. My focus will remain to make solid hardware, a strong functional case and a stable kernel with support for every piece of silicon inside the Pandora. That is basically what I am attempting to wrap up over the next few weeks. I already have a nice list of things based on the last batch of prototypes. As far as any application software goes, I really don't care. That's the easy part that any code savvy person can handle and we have lots of people dying to jump in on that.

There really isn't any "secretive crap". It just seems like nothing takes the time expected. We lost an entire two months with slow assembly and broken boards. It was a freakin' nightmare but now we are moving ahead again. We have to post some estimation date on the website for people viewing the site to see that this is in development and not some far off in 2009 project and at the time of posting, it always seems logical to expect completion by that date.

I feel nothing but respect when people honestly describe their thoughts and situation as is. I'm ready to pay ASAP because I believe (yeah, poor motivation, but still) in the dev team and in the future of :pandora1: .
EDIT: wanted to add something. People will forgive delays and waiting for that long if at least half of expectations about :pandora1: becomes true (IMHO)

Thanks for the news MWeston - a good, honest post. Respect as always. If you were to take pre-orders from 15th September I for one would be happy to let you guys have the cash an extra two weeks to guarantee being in the first batch.

I bought a cyclods flashcart for my ds. I've been working on some homebrew apps. Or at least trying too.

I got go find money now to buy a pandora. All of mine is spent and school starts soon, so no time for a job. Well Christmas is coming soon. . .

I'd definitely be up for pre-ordering on Sep 15th, as I won't have any internet access from the 25th onwards (going trekking in Nepal!)

Thanks for all your hard work MWeston et al., keep it up :lol:

I will also pre-order on 15th, as I'm getting this as a birthday present on the 31st of august

MWeston said:
Anyone who thinks they can come along and just whip one of these devices out (like the Zephyr) is totally kidding themselves. It is a huge, huge task! I haven't seen Chad in a while but I'm sure he'll be back to rip me a new one, but what can I do? I'm just one guy and I am already on this seven days a week. My focus will remain to make solid hardware, a strong functional case and a stable kernel with support for every piece of silicon inside the Pandora. That is basically what I am attempting to wrap up over the next few weeks. I already have a nice list of things based on the last batch of prototypes. As far as any application software goes, I really don't care. That's the easy part that any code savvy person can handle and we have lots of people dying to jump in on that.
:lol: , you would say that about code ;). And you would probably be right, need to have the hardware for the programmers (they forget sometimes).

There really isn't any "secretive crap". It just seems like nothing takes the time expected. We lost an entire two months with slow assembly and broken boards. It was a freakin' nightmare but now we are moving ahead again. We have to post some estimation date on the website for people viewing the site to see that this is in development and not some far off in 2009 project and at the time of posting, it always seems logical to expect completion by that date.
Man those boards were screwed over, I feel you there, it sucks to have a setback like that when you are really trying to get something done.

Thanks for the honesty, I cannot say I am overjoyed that you posted dates, but at least we know what to expect barring any more problems (I can't say that I think it will ship on those dates, but I hope whatever happens it will be acceptable to everyone.).

I am excited, I want to see a news sub-forum for the Pandora that is getting so many posts you can't see the whole thing on one page, just like it was beck when the GP2X came out.

MWeston said:

<snip>
I haven't seen Chad in a while but I'm sure he'll be back to rip me a new one, but what can I do?
meh... I pretty much stop caring at this point. I'll believe it when I see it.

Consider yourself "ripped" if you wish.

chad78 said:
MWeston said:

<snip>
I haven't seen Chad in a while but I'm sure he'll be back to rip me a new one, but what can I do?
meh... I pretty much stop caring at this point. I'll believe it when I see it.

Consider yourself "ripped" if you wish.

Seriously, have you ever released anything ever?

And what, they faked the bent boards? They used all the analog controls and slide volume controls up personally?

Or they bent the boards themselves and purposely chose sliders knowing that they weren't available?

Seriously, it is not a conspiracy, and they didn't say that it WOULD happen, they said barring problems that is what the schedule looks like. (which unless you wear a tin hat you have to believe they did have problems).

He's just responding to my post nubie. I don't think he's trying to start another flame war, just giving his opinion.

.... and I note the ripping ;)

AireTamStorm said:
Group hug? Anyone?
I'm in, Group Hug everybody! :)

Didn't meant to start a flame war, it is tense waiting for stuff you know is coming, especially when you know where it is stuck (damn you online package tracking :angry: , not getting one, just saying it is a similar feeling).

Back