Starving For Pandora!

Um, this might seem a bit heretical, but I'm wondering if there are others out there that are anticipating the release of this device nearly exclusively for non-gaming use? I've been a Nokia 770 user since nearly the beginning, and really have enjoyed that platform. What I see as short comings in that hardware are all addressed for in the Pandora - more cpu horsepower, hardware keyboard, clam shell form factor, powerful graphics processing (possibility to use an analog nub and shoulder buttons as a /dev/mouse?). With the boom in "netbooks", now coming from Dell, HP, Sony and of course Asus, I think that a pocketable linux system is the next form factor that the big guys may try shooting for, and the Pandora dev team is already there!

I'm really interested in the outlook for mainstream applications like web browsing, podcatching/mp3/video playing, reasonable support for e-mail (with a newer Firefox even web-based mail is OK) and ssh capabilities (now with a real keyboard - YES!). I've worked with a few versions of the Familiar Project (both the OPIE and GPE flavors on IPaqs) so I'm used to ultra portable linux with a few rough edges. I'm really excited about the Pandora because the trade offs between palmtop portability and full desktop functionality could be so minimal - if the software is done right.

Development for the Maemo platform on the Nokia family of devices seems a little bit difficult because so many of the standard hardware features don't exist, and everything needs to be reworked to go with out a keyboard or some other common piece of hardware. With the "stockness" of the pandora platform I'd think that nearly all the arm(el?) compiled packages out there should pretty much be good to go. Am I way off the mark?

pascalpb said:
Um, this might seem a bit heretical, but I'm wondering if there are others out there that are anticipating the release of this device nearly exclusively for non-gaming use?

I'm looking forward mostly to non-game apps: note taking, web surfing, movies and mp3s. That'd be the bread and meat of the sammich. Emulation and gaming would be the mayo and pickles: tasty, almost to necessity, but I could still have a sammich without them.
Now I really am starving. Mmmm, Pandora sandwich.

Last edited by a moderator:
CronoTriggerfan said:
Eh, I wouldn't quite say "ultimate", what with the non-HD playback and all. :p

Either way, I must say, I'm bummed I sold my copy of Twilight Princess as soon as I beat it. The Quake port was enough for me to want to run Wii Homebrew! Is there netplay for that yet? I had the chance to get a copy of TP yesterday, but I bet against it and ended up going for a Microsoft Points card and getting Braid. I still think I made the right choice, but it is tempting...
Don't have an HD tv so it works for me. :D Quake is really good though, surpassed my expectations and I'm willing to say that it has the best fps controls on the wii right up there past metroid.

pascalpb said:
What I see as short comings in that hardware are all addressed for in the Pandora - more cpu horsepower, hardware keyboard, clam shell form factor, powerful graphics processing (possibility to use an analog nub and shoulder buttons as a /dev/mouse?).
This ^^

X.org supports the joystick as a mouse input, not sure about kdrive though. I do know that it's not a particularly difficult task, so even if it isn't included with the pandora, somebody will write something that does it.

Sam

pascalpb said:
Um, this might seem a bit heretical, but I'm wondering if there are others out there that are anticipating the release of this device nearly exclusively for non-gaming use? I've been a Nokia 770 user since nearly the beginning, and really have enjoyed that platform. What I see as short comings in that hardware are all addressed for in the Pandora - more cpu horsepower, hardware keyboard, clam shell form factor, powerful graphics processing (possibility to use an analog nub and shoulder buttons as a /dev/mouse?). With the boom in "netbooks", now coming from Dell, HP, Sony and of course Asus, I think that a pocketable linux system is the next form factor that the big guys may try shooting for, and the Pandora dev team is already there!
I've had a GP32 and a GP2X and having a device that does them in a better way is something I'm looking forward too.

But, I'm totally with you. I've also had a Nokia 770, N800 and N810 (and a number of pocket PCs and UMPCs) and whilst they are great devices the Pandora potentially takes them where they need to be. They had the screen, but lacked the power and software. The clamshell is a big plus too.

So great gaming and browsing, seems a real winner to me but it is the latter that will mean I'll order one the second I can.

Now, how about a 3G sim slot... ;)

Um... I've been following this the last two or three months, and gaming occured to me as a possibility only last week :D

Gaming is my primary thing with the Pandora, but the computing tasks are pretty important to me too, that said.

<ramble mode>

Actually, because of that, the Pandora sort of reminds me of the PET devices from MegaMan Battle Network on the Game Boy Advance (if you've played it, or even simply read the manual, you'll know what I mean). :lol: Somehow it's really odd seeing something along those lines becoming real - at the time it was pretty much rooted in the realms of science-fiction based dreaming. :p

Now if only I could make some sort of "Net Battle" game for the Pandora, loosely based on that series (or the television series)... :p

</ramble mode>

Prometheus said:
Actually, because of that, the Pandora sort of reminds me of the PET devices from MegaMan Battle Network on the Game Boy Advance (if you've played it, or even simply read the manual, you'll know what I mean). :lol: Somehow it's really odd seeing something along those lines becoming real - at the time it was pretty much rooted in the realms of science-fiction based dreaming. :p
All of the Battle net games were great. Now if only the pandora could jack in. (God it never sounds right saying that :D )

whiskthecat said:
All of the Battle net games were great. Now if only the pandora could jack in. (God it never sounds right saying that :D )
:lol: Indeed.

More seriously (well, sort of :p), as far as that goes, well, we can always plug in a USB cable and pretend, right? :lol:

I only just looked at pandora today and i'm super excited about it. I've just started learning Japanese so i'll be practicing that and playing on my PS3 to pass the time and reading this forum and hopefully learning how to develop games and emulators :rolleyes: :wub:
:pandora1:

Applications are the main concern for me, but the dual analog gaming is what drives me to a must have. I didn't get a GP device because it lacked a keyboard and dual analog nubs.

Before this device was announced, I always thought that Microsoft should enter the handheld market with a dual analog control scheme (and analog shoulder buttons). They could take a big pie of the handheld market, and they still could.

The Pandora brings nearly everything I want to the table.

I'm getting this thing instead of getting an EEE, Wind, or IdeaPad. I believe it will be worth the wait and, in the meantime, I have several computers, a laptop, XBOX 360, Wii, PS3 (just for BluRay), and DS to keep me busy.

JSack20 said:
I only just looked at pandora today and i'm super excited about it. I've just started learning Japanese so i'll be practicing that and playing on my PS3 to pass the time and reading this forum and hopefully learning how to develop games and emulators :rolleyes: :wub:
:pandora1:
If you'd like any help, definitely PM me.

Also: Nicely said Chad. I'm looking forward to having a portable computer. The gaming part is extra for me as well ; )

Being in the Military, I have spent years lugging a multitude of devices to different countries I have been assigned. Staring with cases of CDs/DVDs+Portable DVD player + PS1, then it was Latop+PSP+Zune. Now I am interested to give this a go on my next tour through an undesirable country. With MP3 player function, WIFI, BT headphones, basic PC apps (thats all I really need), AND being able to play games all on a device that fits in my pocket I am absolutely stoked and looking forward to the day I can get my hands on this marvelous piece of machinery. 10 Years ago if you were to tell the average consumer that a device such as this were possible, they would call us geeks crazy. Now who's crazy? This thing is getting closer and closer to a reality and I am foaming at the mouth. If I can get my Motorola HT 820 Bluetooth headphones working perfect with it and some Skype action going, I just may have found a device that now supports all of my electronic needs while traveling.

I'm curious to know why you guys look at it as a computer first. So far the only software made and announced (could be wrong on this one) for it are games, it has controlls designed for gaming, it is the (spiritual) successor to a handheld game system, and most importantly, it is not an x86 device.
The only reason I can think of that you see it as a computer is because of the keyboard, and even that will still be quite useful for gaming.
The Pandora was designed as a gaming console, IMO, so I look at it the other way around, gaming is the cake.

PlopperZ said:
I'm curious to know why you guys look at it as a computer first. So far the only software made and announced (could be wrong on this one) for it are games, it has controlls designed for gaming, it is the (spiritual) successor to a handheld game system, and most importantly, it is not an x86 device.
The only reason I can think of that you see it as a computer is because of the keyboard, and even that will still be quite useful for gaming.
The Pandora was designed as a gaming console, IMO, so I look at it the other way around, gaming is the cake.
I view it as a computer because it is a computer. First, second, 43rd - whatever - it's a computer. Why it became the way it is does not make one bit of difference. It is the way it is. And, if I get one, the way I use it will not be affected in the slightest by what forum it was discussed on, whose "spiritual successor" it is, or any of that. And x86, ARM, RISC, or PPC - doesn't matter when you can do what you want with it.

You say it's the spiritual successor of the GP2X. I say it has a hell of a lot more in common with the Nokia N800. Same size (almost) screen, same resolution screen, same family of processors (only the latest, most powerful version of it), same pocketablity, same wifi, same touchscreen, same bluetooth, same USB host-ability, same dual-SD card slot, same USB slave ability, same "I run Linux" mantra, same amount of RAM, same..., same..., same...

What does it have in common with the GP2X? Ignore the backstory - what does the device itself have to do with the GP2X? Um... It has game controls, it plays games, I think the last version of the GP2X had a touchscreen.... Um, ... it plays games, did I mention that yet?

The Pandora - physically - is a suped up N810 in a clamshell case and game controls instead of GPS, FM, and a camera.

Having experienced using a N800 - I know what a computer of this size, CPU, and feature set is capable of... And playing Super Mario Bros. doesn't mean shit compared with what it can do. (And I love playing Super Mario Bros.).

:) :) :) I would like to get in on the September 15th preorder !!! Will notification go out in the newsletter?

@Chad
It may have quite similar hardware to the N800, but I still view it as the successor, much like the GP2X was the GP32's successor. They share the same goals, to create an open-source device geared at homebrewers.
I do admit that it does have potential to have good computing apps. But I believe that it will excel in the area it was designed for, gaming.

What I'm hearing you say is it's an upgraded N810 with an emphasis on gaming rather than computing, which is basically the point I'm trying to make.

I can't believe there are people still arguing over this shit! :lol: Pandora was designed by gamers for gamers, so yes, it'll be the best handheld gaming system known to man when released. And yes, it'll also be a pretty sweet UMPC, too. There you go, now no one has to continue being petty.

Back