Starving For Pandora!

CronoTriggerfan said:
I can't believe there are people still arguing over this shit! :lol:

I can. Never mind, in three months we can have 'told you so' arguments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Look - here's the thing.

Keyboard - check
Wifi - check
high-enough-res-to-do-actual-websurfing - check
BlueTooth (not just for audio and/or porpriatary controllers) - check
video-out - check
USB host - check
USB slave - check
Fast-enough-processor-for-actual-work - check
Expandable storage - check

How does any of that same "Game System". I'm sorry, but the term "Game system" just doesn't apply. A game system is a dedicated device primarily made for games. Does this thing even have a game pak slot? No. If this thing is a game system - so is every laptop, desktop, palm pilot, PDA, UMPC, and HTPC ever made. Why? Because they can all run games.

"It's the controls, stupid!" Okay, my cheap Nokia has a d-pad (with center click) and 4 face buttons. Does that make it a game system? Maybe it's the shoulder buttons - wait! some phones have those, too! It's got to be the analog nubs. Surely any system with analog nbs is a game system - pure and simple. Wait - does the TrackPoint™ pointing device count? Because that would make every ThinkPad a game system. Oh, wait - the Pandora has 2. That's it - if a device has dual analog inputs - it's a game system. (Don't a lot of ThinkPads have the mouse nub *and* a trackpad? Oops!)

Game System means a system used for games above all else - whose design, form, and feature set are first and foremost focused on gaming. A Game System is different from a gaming computer. A gaming computer can play games - but it also does personal computing tasks. Yes, a PSP can surf the web - but it sucks at it. Yes, a 360 can play movies - but that's a bonus feature. Yes, the Wii can tell you the weather - but, again, those are addons.

Sure, a keyboard can be useful for really, really old school gaming. But it's much more useful outside of games. Yes, you can use BlueTooth headphones to listen to the music of the game - but BlueTooth is much more useful when pairing with a full sized keyboard, or a cell phone's data plan, or a headset for VoIP. Yes, WiFi can be used for online gaming. But it's much more useful for email, chat, web surfing, news feeds, podcasts, internet radio, youtube, and the billions of other uses that the Internet offers.

The Criaginator might have been a game system. The Pandora is much, much more than a game system. If you want to limit your usage to playing games you could have already played on the GP32, the GP2X, a modded PSP, a flashcartted DS, or a flashcarted GBA - feel free. That's your device. That's your money. That's your choice. I plan on using the device to its full potential. And, no, I don't mean coming as close to playing Crysis as possible, either.

Here's the basic problem I have with saying it's a game system. That is incredibly limiting. It's so much more. Calling it a UMPC, or a MID, or a pocket computer, or whatever acronym-of-the-month you want to use - calling it a "computer" in whatever form - is far more open. Computers play games *AND* media, *AND* office work, *AND* web surfing, *AND*.... ___ fill in the blank. Game systems play games.

Might as well call it an mp3 player. It does that. It has a lot of stuff to help it with that - a big screen to help you find the song you want, built-in stereo speakers, headphone jack, BlueTooth for headphones, dual SD slots for an unending number of hours of music, a touch screen for on-screen controls, huge battery for dozens of hours of un-interupted playback, it's pocketable, it's got a couple of shoulder buttons and volume control on the outside, so you can (feasibly, based on the software) use it closed, and still have control of your music.... Yeah, it's an mp3 player. An mp3 player that can do other stuff, sure. But it's a mp3 player first and foremost.

How is that any different that insisting it's a game system?

chad78 said:
"It's the controls, stupid!" Okay, my cheap Nokia has a d-pad (with center click) and 4 face buttons. Does that make it a game system? Maybe it's the shoulder buttons - wait! some phones have those, too! It's got to be the analog nubs. Surely any system with analog nbs is a game system - pure and simple. Wait - does the TrackPoint™ pointing device count? Because that would make every ThinkPad a game system. Oh, wait - the Pandora has 2. That's it - if a device has dual analog inputs - it's a game system. (Don't a lot of ThinkPads have the mouse nub *and* a trackpad? Oops!)

Ohhhh Chad when will you calm down?

Your arguments are flawed as the Nokia's dpads clearly weren't designed with gaming in mind (except of course for the N-Gauge series which, er were gaming phones!)

The ThinkPad trackballs certainly were'nt designed with heavy gaming uses in mind.

Why do you feel the need to keep on filling just about every thread with your view of what Pandora is? We are all pretty clear what you want to use the device for, even though very little UMPC software has actually been confirmed for the device yet.

Anyway ChronoTiger has already summed it up perfectly:

I can't believe there are people still arguing over this shit! laugh.gif Pandora was designed by gamers for gamers, so yes, it'll be the best handheld gaming system known to man when released. And yes, it'll also be a pretty sweet UMPC, too. There you go, now no one has to continue being petty.

So please, please calm down and let people use the device as they see fit and call it whatever they damn well want. Weather that bu UMPC, Gaming Handheld, Ultra Super-Computer, or Frozen Toad Foot Nible-Sized Bites!

Pleng said:
Why do you feel the need to keep on filling just about every thread with your view of what Pandora is?
Why do wolves howl at the moon? Why does the sun rise every morning? :rolleyes:

Hi...probably the wrong place for an intro but this thread has me so excited!! I mainly registered to get a jump on the pre-order date but know I'll be posting when I have one. I always considered getting a gp32x but never did. I use a vaio ux umpc and think this design is attractive. Long as there are a few net friendly apps developed in addition to gaming I can put down the umpc brick I got. Sorry for the lame post but gimmeh the Pandora pls. :)

Alex. said:
Why do wolves howl at the moon?
They're not actually howling at the moon. Wolves are more likely to hunt in large numbers during the full moon when the night is brightest. Howling allows them to coordinate and hunt more efficiently.

Why does the sun rise every morning?

Rotational orbit of the Earth.

Pleng said:
Why do you feel the need to keep on filling just about every thread with your view of what Pandora is?
Dang, now I'm stumped... :p
He is technically right though. It is a general purpose computing machine. Saying that it's a game system is like saying your laptop is as well, arguably. It's hard to tell exactly where the separation lies, but a lot of things do point it to more than just a game system: totally open development; full featured OS; keyboard; replaceable OS; etc...
Can't we all just call it a portable gaming computer and be happy? Gaming system seems to imply that it's all about the games, which is what Chad is constantly getting so twisted up about.

I see the Pandora as a computer. My Hobby/Life is gaming, My current PC is built around the fact, having my room packed with an HDTV with a PS3, XBox360 Elite and a Wii (along with an NES, SNES, N64, PS1 and PS2, and a Sega). Even on that note, the Pandora is a computer, you can just so happen to use it for gaming.

It is true, I will use the Pandora for alot of emulation for games, but it will be so much more than JUST that. I am going to use the WiFi, Web Browsing, take notes on it, watch movies, ect.

One function I like is that instead of hauling my laptop on-site to work on peoples PC, the Pandora will easily go into a pocket and do anything I would normally need the note book for (Test WiFi connections, do some research online and assisting me in most of my on-site trouble shooting)

I plan to get alot of use out of mine, and if pre-orders do happen to take place on the 15th, count me in.
Even if the pre-orders were tomorrow, i'd still go in on it.

Sphinxter said:
Correct me if I'm wrong here guys but, 'Craiginator' was only the working title for the Pandora so whatever it was, the Pandora is.
You're wrong. My point was, the Craiginator was just going to be a simple upgrade to the GP2X, (sort of like the Wiz). But it evolved into much more, and that (much more) is what the Pandora is.

chad78 said:
You're wrong. My point was, the Craiginator was just going to be a simple upgrade to the GP2X, (sort of like the Wiz). But it evolved into much more, and that (much more) is what the Pandora is.
However, the Analog nubs, dpad, and buttons were put there for the purpose of gaming. Does my laptop come with gaming controls? No. While I definitely look forward to the computer functionality of the device, one of the strong points is that the Pandora is geared towards gaming, like it or not.

On topic,
Yeah, still ripping PSX CDs. Hoping to dig up my copy of Sonic CD, as well.

On topic - drinking beer, whiskey and putting stuff up for sale on e-bay to make sure I have the funds when this becomes available :)

Slightly off-topic & agreeing with many other sensible posters here: does it really matter what you think whether this is a gaming device or UMPC or computer, or MP3/ MP4 player etc etc? The machine will be formed by whatever software will be developed for it. So far, it looke like more gaming/ emu apps are planned than non-gaming apps, but until we get the physical hardware it's true potential will be unknown. Just be happy we are getting a device that can potentially cater for all handheld audiences and leave it at that!

PlopperZ said:
Patiently waiting for my WiBrain to arrive in the mail.
I got one on launch (b1h w/ the big hd and a gig of RAM) I love the thing- check here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQV8_pFS6dM that is me with the korg padkontrol and wibrain only

Alex. said:
Pleng said:
Why do wolves howl at the moon? Why does the sun rise every morning? :rolleyes:Because I was asked.
PlopperZ said:
I'm curious to know why you guys look at it as a computer first.
:rolleyes:

I'm tempted to post a wall of text here, but it seems like everyone else is sick and tired of this argument, so I won't ;)
I suppose it doesn't matter what it you call it, it's still a Pandora, and it's still awesome.

vuffi_raa said:
PlopperZ said:
Patiently waiting for my WiBrain to arrive in the mail.
I got one on launch (b1h w/ the big hd and a gig of RAM) I love the thing- check here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hQV8_pFS6dM that is me with the korg padkontrol and wibrain only

I still haven't received it in the mail :angry:

That's a pretty neat machine you've got there, if I had piles of cash lying around I'd pick one up just to play around with it.

You should send a PM to Skeezix and tell him what you think about your WiBrain. I know he's considering buying one, but wants to know a bit more about it first.

EDIT: Oh, and back OT, I've discovered Urban Terror, so that eats up my time a bit. Not a bad game considering it's free :)

Off to India and then Pakistan to see my customers.
Should be fun, wish I had a pandora to take with me.
will just copy some more amiga roms to sd and play them on the GP.
maybe take some clasic buffy, and supernatural as well.

I was planing on buying a eee 901, for this trip. but couldn't talk my wife into it, and when head office says no.

well looks like its the gp2x and me for ten days.

I have decided that the best way for me to prepare for the Pandora is for me work on learning programming. I took a class on Java before, and I have been meaning to learn Python as it seems to be highly recommended.

I bought the GP32 years ago with dreams of making my own software for it, but I never had time to focus on it. With the Pandora however I see that the possibilities are much greater and I have much more free time now.

Python can also be used for XBMC scripting, which is a plus. :)

Wow, didn't realize, but Tales of Vesperia comes out on Tuesday. I just preordered my Collector's Edition; hopefully it'll keep me fairly preoccupied until around mid-October, then I can just salivate until the release. :lol:

I have been thinking of what I could do with one of these beasts, trying to gather as much information as I can find about it and trying to develop just some stuff for it :D

Back