Beta Stratagus (Wargus)

I get the following error:

Code:
couldn't set 800x600x0 video mode: No video mode large enough for 800x600

edit: nevermind, forgot the -v 1. running great now. thanks a bunch

thx pickle my problems are solved now!
well it runs indeed very smooth, but there are still some problems with the control...

- the desktop cursor appears ingame and it cloaks the wc2 ingame cursor
- i can´t give any move orders without the right shoulderbutton but this isn´t very comfortable in this current state i prefer the nub control
- when you want to build a building it´s quite hard to set the precise position of it --> in this case the nub control is again the better decision
- when i want to select one single unit it may sometimes happen that the same kind of unit will be selected. for example if i want to select one single builder there will be ALL builders selected

but enough of criticism - great job you´ve done :) and the dpad for scrolling is also very helpful.

will there be a widescreen support in the future?

ZoxFox said:
- the desktop cursor appears ingame and it cloaks the wc2 ingame cursor
Side effect from the touchscreen hack, sorry but until SDL gets fixed we are stuck with it (I dont really think its worth the effort to remove the drawing of the war2 pointer)
- i can´t give any move orders without the right shoulderbutton but this isn´t very comfortable in this current state i prefer the nub control
left shoulder also is a right click, not sure what you want...
- when you want to build a building it´s quite hard to set the precise position of it --> in this case the nub control is again the better decision
ok...again what do you want different?
- when i want to select one single unit it may sometimes happen that the same kind of unit will be selected. for example if i want to select one single builder there will be ALL builders selected
i think that happens when you double click, do you know the touchscreen works?

but enough of criticism - great job you´ve done :) and the dpad for scrolling is also very helpful.
thanks, dpad worked out box

will there be a widescreen support in the future?
probably not, it may be they only support 4:3 resolutions without major hacking

Last edited by a moderator:
Pickle said:
ZoxFox said:

hm i think you´re right i´m just used to use a mouse in RTS games... ;)

edit: i have an idea! it could be more handy if you map the dpad function to the A, B, X, Y buttons so when you favour the stylus you aren´t forced anymore to put the stylus aside every time when you want to scroll...

Pickle said:
ZoxFox said:

it would be the best if you can select the building with the stylus which you want to build and then when you click on the main playing surface you first get the concept of the building (the green resp. red lighted, transparent drawing...). and then with a further click you give the order to construct the building on the defined postion.

but in the current state the building will be constructed at once! as soon as you point your stylus anywhere on the main playing surface so you can´t define the precise postion where you want the building be constructed.

Pickle said:
ZoxFox said:
i think that happens when you double click

don´t think so, i can´t reproduce this - weird...

but apart from that it´s nearly perfect to play! the only thing which´s missing now is a pnd file. :)

oh and the AI is quite buggy and passive but i think that´s because of wargus itself, isn´t it?

but all the keyboard-shortcuts work even F10 with the function button to go to the game menu!

ZoxFox said:
Pickle said:
ZoxFox said:

hm i think you´re right i´m just used to use a mouse in RTS games... ;)

edit: i have an idea! it could be more handy if you map the dpad function to the A, B, X, Y buttons so when you favour the stylus you aren´t forced anymore to put the stylus aside every time when you want to scroll...

Ummm.... Hold the Handheld in your left hand, use the Stylus in your right. No need to set the stylus aside. I don't see what you're getting at.

ZoxFox said:
Pickle said:
ZoxFox said:

it would be the best if you can select the building with the stylus which you want to build and then when you click on the main playing surface you first get the concept of the building (the green resp. red lighted, transparent drawing...). and then with a further click you give the order to construct the building on the defined postion.

but in the current state the building will be constructed at once! as soon as you point your stylus anywhere on the main playing surface so you can´t define the precise postion where you want the building be constructed.

That would require changing how the mouse works with the touch screen.

-God Ginrai

God Ginrai said:
Ummm.... Hold the Handheld in your left hand, use the Stylus in your right. No need to set the stylus aside. I don't see what you're getting at.

yeah and fortunately all people on earth are right-hander...

ZoxFox said:
God Ginrai said:

yeah and fortunately all people on earth are right-hander...

Gaming has no hand prerequisite. It is an ambidextrous exercise.

-God Ginrai

Hello to all Warcraft 2 Fans :) ...(I'm from Germany and sorry for my poor English)
I don't have my Pandora yet (still have to wait a while for mine) but playing WC2 on that nice Device must be awesome !

What I meant to say is, i think i have made more or less a Wargus Widescreen Patch for the Pandora Warcraft 2,
for using 800x480 Resolution but i can't test it now if it works.
I don't know about programming,coding and compiling :( and nothing much about Linux
(I have a Dingoo and Ubuntu running in my VirtualBox), the only thing i have made is changed some lines in the
" .lua " Files (while testing) with Notepad++ in Windows and added some Graphics Files for the GUI to get
800x480 working and some other changes for the Options Text positioning.
I have my original Warcraft 2 runnging at this Wargus Version in Windows: >>klick<< and in DosBox for some comparisons,
this Wargus Version should have the same files as the Pandora i think (except the executable Files).

Here is a Overview of the Changes:

- Modified some " .lua " files.
- Changed the Resolution 800x600 to 800x480 in Menu "Options".
- Added some Graphics Files (.png) to the Wargus GUI (needed for playing Ingame) to get 800x480 working.
- Corrected the Options Text positioning, better for changed Background Pictures,like the original WC2 ones.

Here are some Preview Pictures/Screenshots taken from the Wargus Windows Version:

Normal Resolution 640x480 .
ingamehuman640x480norma.png

Widescreen Resolution 800x480,the Game Image is not stretched.
ingamehuman800x480wides.png

Orcs Preview (klick to enlarge the Picture)
-->

Wargus Mainmenu Background Picture .

Wargus Mainmenu Background Picture (so it can look when you replace the old Picture with the original).

Options Text Position befor fixing it (Backround Pics are not included in this Patch).

After corrected the Options Text Position.
-->

Main Title Picture from Wargus,shown when the Game starts (befor).

Main Title Picture can be changed to WC2 Title if you own the original Picture,shown when the Game starts (after).

And here is the Widescreen Patch Download Link for Testing it with your
Pandora Wargus Version (hope it will works):

(Title Pictures and Background Pictures are not included)
>> Wargus Pandora Widescreen Patch Download (Rapidshare) <<

Instruction:
1. Make a backup of the Wargus Files/Directory from your Pandora SD-Card befor trying this Patch !

2. Extract the Files from the Archiv "wargus_ws_patch1.zip" that you have downloaded,copy it to your
Pandora SD-Card Wargus, and overwrite all Files/Directorys in the right place.

3. After you have finished overwriting the Files, try to start the Game " ./stratagus " executable
without the Commandline " ./stratagus -v 1 " (the first time) ! If the Game will not start then try
starting the executable with the Commandline " ./stratagus -v 1 " in the Terminal, and once if
Wargus has started (i hope so :D ) , go to the Options Menu and look if you can change the
first two Resolution from 640x480 to 800x480.

I pray/hope that it works with the Pandora Wargus :unsure:
for me in the Windows Wargus Version it works fine B)

And here is my last Version from the Pandora Widescreen Patch that i prefer !
It is nearly the same Patch as the Download from above,with some small changes:

- Options Menu adjusted, now you have only three options for Video Resolution:
640x480, 800x480 and Full Screen. The other Resolutions 1024x768, 1280x960
and 1600x1200 has been deleted because the Pandora can't use/handle this i believe,
also it should be look much nicer.
- Corrected the Options Text Position again, now the Text is centered in the
middle of the Screen (looks much better too).

Here the Preview Pictures (Pandora adjusted Options Menu:)
-->

And here's the second Download Link for this Patch (Title Pictures and Background Pictures are not included)
(the Instruction Manual for this is the same as above) :
>> Wargus Pandora Widescreen Patch with only two Resolution Options Download (Rapidshare) <<

I'm happy if some one can test this with the Pandora, and hope i have not written far too much :blink: ,
because i love Warcraft 2 and the Pandora :p !!

Greetings. Shao

Shao

I can add your resolution change patch, at the moment i cant take a closer look. But i want to confirm that you didnt include graphics based on the retail data.

You're right about some of the Graphics in there ,i will change that and i have forgotten the Copyrights about that :unsure:
My bad!

Great idea, Shaokahn. I like this solution, hope it works. I'm impressed that this is possible without unnatural stretching of the game graphics. You really see more onto the ingame screen, very nice. :)
I'm also from germany and I'm also waiting for my Pandora by the way. ;)

Shaokahn said:
You're right about some of the Graphics in there ,i will change that and i have forgotten the Copyrights about that :unsure:
My bad!

well in my opinion all of the menu's and intro's could stay at 640x480. Only the ingame would be useful at 800x480. Can your patch support this without including copyright'd data?

I'm back, have edited my Post above an changed the two Download Files,
they don't have now any Copyright Grapics in there :) sorry for that again^^

Hmm.. in my Windows Wargus Version there are no Intros and Videos shown from WC2, i think Wargus can't use them
at the moment. The Ingame Graphics are not streched with the Patch, only the Title Picture and the Background
Picture are a little bit streched, but i think that doesn't matter.
I'dont know if Wargus can be started in 640x480 for the Title and Backround Pic/Menu
and after this if it could change to 800x480 by starting a new Game ?!

Here is a Preview from the streched Title Picture at 800x480:

And the Main Menu streched Picture:

The Buttons are also not streched.

@ fusion_power
Yes i know^^ i read often in the German Forum, in the gp32x Forum and all the Blogs out there :D
but writing not to much there, waiting for the Pandora is terrible ,i'm nearly at the end from the first Batch :(

Maybe we could include a simple script using imagemagick. That way we could provide a consistent resolution in menu and game, like shaokahn suggested, and wouldn't break any copyright.

Back