SuperZaxxon v1.52 released!

Newbie question : how do I update to it ?
download the full flash software in the first post in this thread.put it on root o sdcard ie just put it on the card not in a folder.the instructions are at the start of this thread too.

Is there a mirror for the full image?  Downloading from the provided link is extremely slow and the download keeps failing halfway through.

Last edited by a moderator:
<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="Wrath of Khan" data-cid="206853" data-time="1355604746"><p>

<blockquote class='ipsBlockquote'data-author="'2bit'" data-cid="206844" data-time="1355602753"><p><br />

Newbie question : how do I update to it ?<br /></p></blockquote>download the full flash software in the first post in this thread.put it on root o sdcard ie just put it on the card not in a folder.the instructions are at the start of this thread too.</p></blockquote>

Thanks

If OpenPandora or Dragonbox ever needs pictures of happy, good looking Pandora users you should volunteer. That avatar just shines.
You're too kind.

That pic was taken a few years ago after getting engaged.  My wife isn't much of a gamer, but she's very supportive of my hobby. Still not a single complaint or rolled eyes after acquiring 61 game consoles  :D

/end quote ↑ :)

For those that might be stuck on old betas on the internal nand it is unfortunate the old final saxxon (1.51) download path has been overwritten with the new one (1.52) That also mean the two files are both called "SuperZaxxonFinal.zip".

That leaves no upgrade path if you are on a beta, since you need final to get to final+1.

Gryfelhase came to the rescue and provided me with the old one. I suggest putting it up for download again on the site.

This is one of the places i would expect to find a thread about saxxon builds (as sticky) http://boards.openpandora.org/index.php/forum/41-pandora-os-superzaxxon-gnulinux/

I recommend using gparted to reformat if your SD-card doesnt work the first time around.

Well, it seems the rootfs image for use on SD cards is broken, cant untar it without integrity errors. Tried on Debian SID, pandora (1.52 sax) and OpenSuse.

Can someone confirm this?

The pandora-rootfs-SZFINAL-1.52.tar.bz2 on http://openpandora.free.fr/openpandora/temp/ doesnt match its md5sum and the equivalent pandora-rootfs.tar.bz2 in http://www.openpandora.org/firmware/ doesnt have one or a sensible naming convention...

http://pandorawiki.org/Running_Linux_from_an_SD_card doesnt say when the need for fat partitions was fixed, nor which pandora version it corresponds to.|

If OpenPandora or Dragonbox ever needs pictures of happy, good looking Pandora users you should volunteer. That avatar just shines.
You're too kind.

That pic was taken a few years ago after getting engaged.  My wife isn't much of a gamer, but she's very supportive of my hobby. Still not a single complaint or rolled eyes after acquiring 61 game consoles  :D
Wow thats some collection B)

My wife and I acquired about 35 but she sadly suffered motion sickness on anything since the N64 appeared and eventually the marriage went down the pan after 11 years aswell, for non gaming related reasons :(

Stay happy folks

There are now two different ways to upgrade to the latest version:

A full flash and an updater.
He. So I used that updater on my SD install and fucked up that one. It had I/O errors on terminal start, Network manager not starting, some issues described in these fori.

After that and reading this whole thread, I decided the nand update (I feared because of what happened) should be less risky. Now I watch opkg opgrade downloading from angstrom-distribution.org with a heavy belly am rather positive this one is fucked up, too. (I did not touch the files with repository configurations.)

Really, the Pandora is not ready for the mass market. It's just too much hassle to reinstall the os all the time and apply all the stuff you did again and again and again...

As mentioned multiple times on different threads during the last few days:

The Pandora OS Updater is 100% safe on fresh 1.52 flashs.

This firmware doesn't have any Angstrom-feeds included.

If you had a beta version, used the PND to update to final, it didn't upgrade the feeds and therefore the OS updater killed it.

As all units are delivered with the latest firmware, it is 100% safe.

There are now two different ways to upgrade to the latest version:A full flash and an updater. 
He. So I used that updater on my SD install and fucked up that one. It had I/O errors on terminal start, Network manager not starting, some issues described in these fori.After that and reading this whole thread, I decided the nand update (I feared because of what happened) should be less risky. Now I watch opkg opgrade downloading from angstrom-distribution.org with a heavy belly am rather positive this one is fucked up, too. (I did not touch the files with repository configurations.)Really, the Pandora is not ready for the mass market. It's just too much hassle to reinstall the os all the time and apply all the stuff you did again and again and again...
That's just it . IT'S NOT MEANT FOR MASS MARKET . It's meant for a small niche in the market .

I know it can be annoying, but I would add here that some people like working on and maintaining computer systems (sysadmin fun).

It might not be everyone's idea of fun, but it is for some.

You know the old saying, one man's pain is another's pleasure...

There are now two different ways to upgrade to the latest version:A full flash and an updater. 
He. So I used that updater on my SD install and fucked up that one. It had I/O errors on terminal start, Network manager not starting, some issues described in these fori.After that and reading this whole thread, I decided the nand update (I feared because of what happened) should be less risky. Now I watch opkg opgrade downloading from angstrom-distribution.org with a heavy belly am rather positive this one is fucked up, too. (I did not touch the files with repository configurations.)Really, the Pandora is not ready for the mass market. It's just too much hassle to reinstall the os all the time and apply all the stuff you did again and again and again...
That's just it . IT'S NOT MEANT FOR MASS MARKET . It's meant for a small niche in the market .
Actually it's very likely bukkit modified the configs at some point and opkg did not upgrade them because of that, which caused it to do upgrade from the wrong feed.
There are simply not enough firmware contributing people do an updater that could cope with all possible user modifications of the system. All we can offer in cases like this is a full reflash / SD install recreation.

Oh, I'm very well aware of that. And I was and am prepared to have a lot of work and experimenting to do.

But it seems like now the Pandora was supposed to be marketed to a much broader group. And I really think it isn't ready for that yet (and maybe never will be).

Of course, I also was rather frustrated yesterday. But I also have to say that a couple of glitches and errors and lurking dangers are worse than they could be. (It's improving thanks to some fantastic work being done here, no doubt. I don't want to take that away from people like skeezix, notaz, Asmo, Gruso, _wb_, sorry for the ones I forgot).

In comparison, a device like the Raspberry Pi is rather smooth on the edges while still maintaining the adventure part. So what I'm complaining about isn't necessarily unavoidable.

To use just this example - an application claiming to be able to update the OS could check the OS version and the repository for compatibility before going on and smashing everything. I believe that's not asking too much, even from an experimental app.

I know development efforts should go to .next now, but it's possible to backport alsa 1.0.25?

I compiled Widelands and alsa gets underrun crashing to desktop mostly tutorial.

Searched on their forums and they say it's because of old alsa version.

I know it can be annoying, but I would add here that some people like working on and maintaining computer systems (sysadmin fun).

It might not be everyone's idea of fun, but it is for some.
I'm one of those. However, Installing an OS and re-adapting it to my needs still runs as pita in my world.

Actually it's very likely bukkit modified the configs at some point and opkg did not upgrade them because of that, which caused it to do upgrade from the wrong feed.

There are simply not enough firmware contributing people do an updater that could cope with all possible user modifications of the system. All we can offer in cases like this is a full reflash / SD install recreation.
No, bukkit didn't :) I think EvilDragon explained it quite well. I used SuperZaxxon, the pnd to upgrade to final, and the updater pnd.

No user modifications necessary then, it seems. Plain vanilla panda road.

Well, even commercial OSes can break after an update...
Oh yes. When I want non-breaking, I use Linux. When Linux breaks without a very good reason, I tend to switch distributions.

Whatever. I was pissed, I vented that, I reinstalled, and maybe next time there are some tiny checks in the updater checking for the bare minimum of compatibility.

Then everything is fine with me.

Back