Talks From A Assembly Company.

spaceballs3000 said:
EvilDragon said:
Errmm... you DID tell him that neither the board nor the case production is done by people in the SPARE time but by companies who do that for a living?

Yep, the DESIGN of the case and board as well as software has mostly been done in the spare time - but that's over now.

And assembly will not take place in spare time either, we gather a team which will work fulltime on assembling the stuff.

So... let me see, we got approx. 200 days left until 2011 (already substracted a few days because of holidays, etc.)
If we have 4000 Pandoras to build, that would mean that we shouldn't build more then 20 units a day. Since we are working something between 10 - 12 hours on assembling (maybe even more), that would mean no more than 2 units per hour.
MichaelW made a video tutorial showing us how to assemble a Pandora. He does it really slow and repeats steps quite a few times to really show you how to do it.
That does take 17 minutes.

So if one person is working REALLY slow to build a Pandora, it takes 17 minutes - which would be a bit more than 3 units per hour.
That's already too fast.

We have at least 8 people assembling Pandoras - so how slow should they work?

Ah, well I wasn't aware of this line below

"And assembly will not take place in spare time either, we gather a team which will work fulltime on assembling the stuff."

I thought it was just spare time people, and not full time, this will change things.

Curious are you going to get full-time to do assembly? are these volunteers?

Hiring 8 people for 10-12 hours a day (for 200 days) going to get really pricey, and I assume money was always been an a problem, since Pandora is skipping FCC (cost), did china cases instead of local (i.e. cost), and not doing local assembly company.

It's themselves that they are hiring :) ... so its 0 money spend,

If its exactly like ED said, for assembling everything slowly 12 hours per day, it will take them about 14 days ... ofcourse they have to rest, eat etc, so this is pretty fast.

And just imagine the companies probably they will send about 500 to 1000 boards-cases per week.

So 8 people assembling pandoras is enough, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've also worked for an electronics assembly firm, and I can tell you that none of the problems the Pandora people have encountered are particularly strange, weird, unique, or different - sure there has been some degree of management responsibility for the errors and screwups, but based on existing work - over 2 years worth - the Pandora is 95% done. The last bit of work, the last 5%, is what will get the product in our hands, and I wouldn't imagine it taking any longer than 5 weeks to get it all sorted - probably shorter, but based on my personal experience - and not hearsay - this is a conservative estimate to completion of the first 4000.

So, basically, you can take your hearsay and shove it. Pandora is going to be in our hands soon enough, and its been a lot of work to get here already, which simply should not be discounted by some gossip with so-called 'experts' who have no interest in making a positive appraisal of the scene ..

EDIT: btw, tell us who this 'expert' is so we can all avoid his services in the future ..

EmuGuy said:
I'll still take ED's word over your random guy, sorry.

Random to you, but not random to me, this assembly house been building custom stuff like this for over 20 years. Thus I mention what he said, how you use it up to you.

EmuGuy said:
Regardless, I still don't get the point of this thread, other than to stir shit up. Anyway, ED's post seems to have laid out more information for both of us.

Really? no I just want a clearer idea how when units will ship, we already have ED now giving us good information that should help gauge a better idea when to expect it to ship.

Ikarus said:
It's themselves that they are hiring :) ... so its 0 money spend,

I could be wrong, but I thought most of Pandora team had day jobs?

Ikarus said:
If its exactly like ED said, for assembling everything slowly 12 hours per day, it will take them about 14 days ... ofcourse they have to rest, eat etc, so this is pretty fast.

It's all about man hours, if they got them (then their set,) but my question would be is where/who is the man hours coming from?

spaceballs3000 said:
It's all about man hours, if they got them (then their set,) but my question would be is where/who is the man hours coming from?
Volunteers were mentioned and local students were mentioned.

EvilDragon said:
Errmm... you DID tell him that neither the board nor the case production is done by people in the SPARE time but by companies who do that for a living?

Yep, the DESIGN of the case and board as well as software has mostly been done in the spare time - but that's over now.

And assembly will not take place in spare time either, we gather a team which will work fulltime on assembling the stuff.

So... let me see, we got approx. 200 days left until 2011 (already substracted a few days because of holidays, etc.)
If we have 4000 Pandoras to build, that would mean that we shouldn't build more then 20 units a day. Since we are working something between 10 - 12 hours on assembling (maybe even more), that would mean no more than 2 units per hour.
MichaelW made a video tutorial showing us how to assemble a Pandora. He does it really slow and repeats steps quite a few times to really show you how to do it.

So if one person is working REALLY slow to build a Pandora, it takes 17 minutes - which would be a bit more than 3 units per hour.
That's already too fast.

Just wondering if you will use dark screws instead of the 4 metallic screws that are holding the screen in place.

Those ones ruin the aesthetics of the Pandora, IMO.

torpor said:
I wouldn't imagine it taking any longer than 5 weeks to get it all sorted - probably shorter, ...
I'll mark my calendar in 5 weeks, even from the new information given by ED, I believe there is no way 4k units it's going to be done in that time-frame with the resources mentioned.

torpor said:
EDIT: btw, tell us who this 'expert' is so we can all avoid his services in the future ..
Since you were so nice, I'll omit the expert name, though they did 20 million in Annual sales, and have 150 full time employees.

Evil Star said:
Just wondering if you will use dark screws instead of the 4 metallic screws that are holding the screen in place.

Those ones ruin the aesthetics of the Pandora, IMO.

Use black marker :) or take screw out, and pant them black, screw carefully back in :)

If the parts arrive this month, just send them all over to me, I'll put 4000 pandoras together before the year ends.

mali said:
spaceballs3000 said:
Volunteers were mentioned and local students were mentioned.

I've read post about volunteers, I worry about volunteers staying power. I could see them doing a maybe 1-2 days, but not for days on end, but hopefully it will work out.

EvilDragon said:

That's already too fast.

In all fairness, you have to subtract from 200 the number of days until assembly actually begins. When assembly begins is a little uncertain. All we know is that it's been "soon" or "really close" for many months now...so, with that in mind, it isn't *too* outrageous to be looking at the latter half of 2010 for when the last first batch Pandora arrives. I'm just saying, it's hard to differentiate the confidence behind a "soon" right now and a "soon" we heard at the beginning of the year, and so on back in time to when pre-orders began.

r00tw00t said:
chics luv my triceps
Add a nice tatoo with your internet connection speed and they'll lick the dirt off your shoes :p

for some reason i have all these hilarious comparisons of the project taking til 2011 being more like extending the life of something like XP for extra years. woohoo support for my favourite game: The Pandora Waiting Game has been further extended another possible 19 months due to its great success and user demand. expect more high jinx and testing situations from all kinds of unexpected angles. you thought the first 18 months was a ride, the journeys only just started! or something :lol:

seriously though, i dont know what this thread is trying to achieve. maybe you should have a conference call between yourself, them and one of the team where some actual idea of the progress of the project can be made rather than randomly throwing out something misinterpreted based on inaccurate information. considering how quickly the prototype units were put together when the parts were in the same room, i dont really feel particularly nervous about how long it will take when however many thousand sets of parts are in a room together for assembly.

Azure said:
In all fairness, you have to subtract from 200 the number of days until assembly actually begins. When assembly begins is a little uncertain. All we know is that it's been "soon" or "really close" for many months now...so, with that in mind, it isn't *too* outrageous to be looking at the latter half of 2010 for when the last first batch Pandora arrives. I'm just saying, it's hard to differentiate the confidence behind a "soon" right now and a "soon" we heard at the beginning of the year, and so on back in time to when pre-orders began.

Well, according to the companies, everything will ship at the end of this week. If this is true, assembly begins next week.

Last edited:
If I had all the parts in front of me, and the right tools.. even untrained and never seeing the parts before I could assemble one in approx 15 mins. Seriously they may lose a half a day getting everything setup for the assembly process.. But I can see this going pretty smoothly if the parts do arrive in a timely manner.

Back