The Cases Are Fine: Ship!

Status
Not open for further replies.
borgqueenx said:
if a device that beats pandora comes, im outta here, thats for sure.

I don't think there's much of a chance of that happening. There are nice touchscreen devices, even the big iPad to me looks pretty cool, but it will be a long time, if ever, before I can pay $330 to get a linux computer that fits in my pocket, AND a retro gaming machine with good controls (NUBS!) PSX Emulation (I Have quite the collection but PSX is broken), portable media playing, and a really long battery life. The Cortex A8 SoC isn't cutting edge anymore, but the Pandora is still the coolest system available, and my money is in it for the long haul regardless.

Though I do really hope to have it in my hands as soon as possible!

Last edited by a moderator:
if the cases are sturdy and functional ship it.
I'll even gladly take one of those odd-colored sample cases.

Stephane Hockenhull said:
And the crack on the back of the hinge? Will you take that, too?

@Wizardstan

Yea. I'll take all three of mine like that.

Phawx said:
@WizardStan

Yea. I'll take all three of mine like that.
hmm, guess I don't understand it.
Personally I'll wait until they know what the source of the crack was before making that decision, but if you want cracks without explanation, who am I to argue?

WizardStan said:
There was no crack on the other revisions and this time the tool was just not adjusted correctly, that's all(an educated guess, as I've worked in a moulding factory for a while). Molding machines rarely stand still, as they have to run permanently to make money. Heating up the machine and making it ready to produce takes very long. It is very likely that the tool has already been removed from the machine to produce something else in the meantime. So when OP finally orders MP cases, they will move the tool in a free machine and adjust again. The crack isn't really reproducable when the tool is adjusted properly.

WizardStan said:
Stephane Hockenhull said:
Depends on the alternative. I've got superglue.

And what is the alternative? Weeks? Months? A year? No one knows, and if OpenPandora tells us no one will believe them.

At every stage in this game there have been people who have shouted "This time it's different! It's really just two months! Don't lose faith now!" at all doubters. In fact, I used to be one. But the fact is that the Pandora is forever receding towards the horizon, and the only people who can tell us where it is have wasted all their credibility.

Taking an imperfect case might be a chance to get off that merry-go-round without admitting defeat. Personally I'm inclined to jump at it.

Let's just get a workable case and order all 4000 cases before the holiday and get these shipped out and built A.S.A.P. From there we can worry about getting a updated case upon completion , let's move on and get some of the software working and fine tuned , there are better things to do at this point...We have waited long enough..Bud

mali said:
There was no crack on the other revisions and this time the tool was just not adjusted correctly, that's all(an educated guess, as I've worked in a moulding factory for a while). Molding machines rarely stand still, as they have to run permanently to make money. Heating up the machine and making it ready to produce takes very long. It is very likely that the tool has already been removed from the machine to produce something else in the meantime. So when OP finally orders MP cases, they will move the tool in a free machine and adjust again. The crack isn't really reproducable when the tool is adjusted properly.
That's just it though, we don't know what caused it, yet despite not knowing, people are still making (theoretical) decisions. It's scaring me that anyone would make a decision like this when such an important piece of information is missing, especially when it is knowable if you just wait a day or two.

WizardStan said:
That's just it though, we don't know what caused it, yet despite not knowing, people are still making (theoretical) decisions. It's scaring me that anyone would make a decision like this when such an important piece of information is missing, especially when it is knowable if you just wait a day or two.
I totally agree. We should know more tomorrow, I hope.

No one is making decisions. There is nothing to be scared about.

What you post on the forum doesn't matter in any binding way.

Case revision 3 has the mutilated hinge, Revision 2 does not. So there is obviously a problem somewhere,
Which is not consistent across case revisions. So the problem can not be attributed to the moulds, As it
would have shown up on the previous cases.

The options are, Recycled plastic was used, An inexperienced worker set the machine up,
Or It was intentionally done as a rush job, To get the cases out to Michael as quick as possible,
So he could see the improvements that were requested, Forgoing the overall aesthetics of the sample case.

Trooper

trooper said:
Case revision 3 has the mutilated hinge, Revision 2 does not. So there is obviously a problem somewhere,
Which is not consistent across case revisions. So the problem can not be attributed to the moulds, As it
would have shown up on the previous cases.

The options are, Recycled plastic was used, An inexperienced worker set the machine up,
Or It was intentionally done as a rush job, To get the cases out to Michael as quick as possible,
So he could see the improvements that were requested, Forgoing the overall aesthetics of the sample case.

Trooper

Unless when they modified it, they sliced too much off the mould. I can't think of why they would knowingly send off something that has that flaw. Or rather seven of those somethings. They had to know that Michael would notice, it's not a discrete problem.

Nova said:
Unless when they modified it, they sliced too much off the mould. I can't think of why they would knowingly send off something that has that flaw. Or rather seven of those somethings. They had to know that Michael would notice, it's not a discrete problem.

Though that wouldn't make sense as the hinge hasn't been changed AFAIK. It was fine since Rev 1 (which is the case I do have: No cracks here).

I guess it's because they rushed...

Last edited:
Also slicing material off the mould makes the case bigger/thicker, not smaller/thinner.

EvilDragon said:
Though that wouldn't make sense as the hinge hasn't been changed AFAIK. It was fine since Rev 1 (which is the case I do have: No cracks here).

I guess it's because they rushed...

Maybe a translation problem... maybe by "you will thank us" they meant "you should be saying thank you for all the hard work and extra cost silkscreening a prototype, now we're offended and going to shit in a box and FedEx it to you".

Of course, that's off the wall speculation.

Why are they all scratched up and so shit?
Are all the major revisions CORRECTED now?
There is nothing to fix, except how shit they have turned out (appearance)?

If they can remove the scratches and make it a nice gloss black finish, just send the things!

This is atrocious.

I'm for sending them out to those that want one.

I'd take one of those first 500, IF the hingecrack is fixed. Don't care much about the other cosmetic stuff at first, i just want to develop for it. (oh and for the million other things it does ofcourse). Might buy a slick looking case later (discounts offered for pre-first batchers, right? ; )

Question:
Is it worth taking them NOW for END USERS?

The OS is not fully developed (ED, is it?)?
The APPSTORE (insert new name here...) has not been "released".
There are no .PND files hosted anywhere yet.

It's seemingly not ready for end users, yet...

Just my 2c.. That's mostly why I would rather wait until it's "officially" launched. It'll just be a stagnant toy until it's all setup for end users..
Like the iPhone PRE OS 2.0/JailBreak. You could virtually only read email, browse and do basic functionality until Apple released the AppStore with FW 2.0.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back