The Rabbit Joint

Firstly, about the "raising the issue with Hando" thing, that has been tried, and it seems he ignores anyone of us 'mortals' who speaks about it, some admin...

Also, how did he flame the GP2X? He created a ton of faqs about the machine, and even translated for an asian who was interested in the unit, did you even read the thread?

Nova posted on Feb 19 2007 at 09:54 PM said:
Firstly at about the "raising the issue with Hando" thing, that has been tried, and it seems he ignores anyone of us 'mortals' who speaks about it, some admin...

Also, how did he flame the GP2X? He created a ton of faqs about the machine, and even translated for an asian who was interested in the unit, did you even read the thread?
I think she meant Epicenter....

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I don't think it's a good idea for me to raise issues in the Xtreme Team Forum where groupthink will win over everything else. In fact I'll quote the so-called "discussion" WarmFluffy recently raised in the Xtreme Forum in some attempt to placate me:

Hia guys,

Okay can I open a discussion here about what we're going to do about some of our members who have forgotten how annoying Shikaku was and now want him back.

We need some form of official word and resolution from us, as at the moment we're getting a split discussion on the boards from one or two of us mods, and it's getting out of hand.

I think we need to draft up an official notice and end this discussion once and for all. We are responsible for policing the place, and to be honest we seem to be doing a good job of it too. But forum members must appreciate that once a collective mod decision is made, that is final. Especially if the god of the forum backs it up.

Okay, discuss.......

Hear that, guys? You must have simply forgotten how annoying Shikaku is, you stupid fools! It can't possibly be that he might have actually contributed to the community or entertained us in off-topic.

And we better keep those plebians in line, and make sure that they understand that mod decisions can't be questioned or even discussed, lest they find flaws in our reasoning! And of course as admin of the forum, hando is incapable of making poor moderation decisions, and any motion he supports is instantly infallible and immune to criticism!

This 'discussion' is nothing more than a request for propaganda.

Rico posted on Feb 19 2007 at 10:19 PM said:
No, I don't think it's a good idea for me to raise issues in the Xtreme Team Forum where groupthink will win over everything else. In fact I'll quote the so-called "discussion" WarmFluffy recently raised in the Xtreme Forum in some attempt to placate me:

Hia guys,

Okay can I open a discussion here about what we're going to do about some of our members who have forgotten how annoying Shikaku was and now want him back.

We need some form of official word and resolution from us, as at the moment we're getting a split discussion on the boards from one or two of us mods, and it's getting out of hand.

I think we need to draft up an official notice and end this discussion once and for all. We are responsible for policing the place, and to be honest we seem to be doing a good job of it too. But forum members must appreciate that once a collective mod decision is made, that is final. Especially if the god of the forum backs it up.

Okay, discuss.......

Hear that, guys? You must have simply forgotten how Shikaku is, you stupid fools! It can't possibly be that he might have actually contributed to the community or entertained us in off-topic.

And we better keep those plebians in line, and make sure that they understand that mod decisions can't be questioned or even discussed, lest they find flaws in our reasoning! And of course as admin of the forum, hando is incapable of making poor moderation decisions, and any motion supports is instantly infallible and immune to criticism!
Ohh come now, you just posted part of the thread from the Extreme Team in an open forum. What are you up to Rico? You are WELL out of order.

Are you going to address any of the points I've made re: your attitude towards GP32X members, or are you just going to fruitlessly complain?

i think your out of order rico....

you could have argued your point in the thread..... so whats this going to do now make a complete mockery of being a "team"

so i leave and now some jerk has banned penis boy? wtf he was just learning 4chan growing up to be an internet superstar

someone link that guy to fyad

rip fairly good poster

daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 19 2007 at 10:57 PM said:
fucking ace

edit: give the kid another chance. He wont do anything to piss anyone off again.

Jeez, there are worse people around here than shikaku ;)
yep. see the posts directly above and below yours for proof.

declaration posted on Feb 20 2007 at 01:37 AM said:
daclassicgamingmaster posted on Feb 19 2007 at 10:57 PM said:
fucking ace

edit: give the kid another chance. He wont do anything to piss anyone off again.

Jeez, there are worse people around here than shikaku ;)
yep. see the posts directly above and below yours for proof.
He he, I still remember you invited me to Gmail all that time ago :p

WarmFluffyUK posted on Feb 19 2007 at 09:44 PM said:
Why don't you get over it, the decision was made by the team of elected mods, which you Rico are a part of. If you are really so passionate about this, then raise it in the Extreme team forum and lets discuss this where it matters.

No offence Fluffy but it is the regular members that help elect the extreme team with their suggestions for mods.

And as for your "let's discuss this where it matters." comment are you saying that we don't matter? Are you saying that before you became a mod that your comments weren't worth listening to?

I have had my disagreememts with Rico in the past but in this instance he seems to be the only mod that has remembered what he is here for. i.e. Not only to moderate the forum but to listen to the regular members of the community that make this place what it is.

If you piss off the regular members all you will be left with is a forum much like any other. Text based chaos!

Rico posted on Feb 19 2007 at 11:19 PM said:

Hia guys,

Okay, discuss.......

Hear that, guys? You must have simply forgotten how annoying Shikaku is, you stupid fools! It can't possibly be that he might have actually contributed to the community or entertained us in off-topic.

And we better keep those plebians in line, and make sure that they understand that mod decisions can't be questioned or even discussed, lest they find flaws in our reasoning! And of course as admin of the forum, hando is incapable of making poor moderation decisions, and any motion he supports is instantly infallible and immune to criticism!

This 'discussion' is nothing more than a request for propaganda.

Decision regarding Shikaku was made together by our mod team. You Rico had your chance to express your opinion as well as the other mods and afaik it was you who put this "Shikaku is a troll, plain and simple." in our internal discussion about banning him or not. Anyway, I assume that criticising decision (based also on your opinion) of our mod team which you are also part of, means clearly you are not longer interested in mod position. So let it be.

To the rest few of you asking for Shikaku return. Shikaku banning was a process initiated by reaching 100% of his warning level. Every member has mod only visible Warning Level indicator. When level reaches 100% perm ban procedure starts. And even after perm ban is granted if someone conctacts me or other mods we can discuss about so called "second chance". It happend lately in case of DaClassicGamer. However we are watching his action closely so in case he'll returrn to his trolling habbits he'll earn "eternal ban". Some of you can ask how come he got his second chance where Shikaku is still banned. It is all based on our votes. When I asked if we should give a second chance to Shikaku, we all agreed he don't deserve it. And actually Rico you had a chance to post your point of view in Shikaku case. Being one of the oldest mod here your opinion was always very valuable to me. But well, you didn't post anything. Sa based on my own opinion and opinions of other mods I kept my decision about Shikaku. Our decision are based strictly on our judgement of user actions against board rules and users reports. I agree, maybe the rules are not too specific. Our fault. I updated Rules for GP32Xtreme Boards and I am going to discuss them with other mods so the rules can be slightly changed in a few days, but you can now have an image of what to expect. And to show that we don't hold a grudge against nobody I am going to discuss again with mod team about second chance for Shikaku. But please remember - it doesn't mean that he automatically get second chance. I expect that whatever the decision is going to be you'll respect our decision and stop questioning decision we've made as a mod team.
And please don't say we don't listen to our members. It is not fair. You have to consider that actually all actions are concentrated on keeping this place nice for all (near 10 000) members not only a few (8 to be specific based on your poll) of you who seems Shikaku's posts funny or interesting.
ps.
I don't use my english lately beside of reading so sorry in advance for any spelling errors.

BaDToaD posted on Feb 20 2007 at 11:26 AM said:
WarmFluffyUK posted on Feb 19 2007 at 09:44 PM said:
Why don't you get over it, the decision was made by the team of elected mods, which you Rico are a part of. If you are really so passionate about this, then raise it in the Extreme team forum and lets discuss this where it matters.

No offence Fluffy but it is the regular members that help elect the extreme team with their suggestions for mods.

And as for your "let's discuss this where it matters." comment are you saying that we don't matter? Are you saying that before you became a mod that your comments weren't worth listening to?

I have had my disagreements with Rico in the past but in this instance he seems to be the only mod that has remembered what he is here for. i.e. Not only to moderate the forum but to listen to the regular members of the community that make this place what it is.

If you piss off the regular members all you will be left with is a forum much like any other. Text based chaos!
I'm afraid my choice of words "Where it matters" was rather poor and I apologize for that. But the point I was getting across is that Rico should have brought this up in the Extreme Team Forum, a section he appears to be ignoring these days. And not to echo discussions going on in the in the extreme team, in public. Very bad call of judgement that was. If I did the same with one of his posts, I bet your bottom dollar he would go schizoid.

Of course what everyone thinks is important, but as I already said, once a collective extreme team decision is made, you should respect it. I'm only sticking up for the team you know, it's not an easy job being a mod and almost anything you do apart from throwing out spam is often questioned. All people on the board have friends who disagree with our actions. It often seems like we are being harsh, but believe me, any permanent bannings are discussed and voted on before hand. Furthermore, we have a code to stick to created by Hando. If a board member breaks the rules, I now will always PM them asking not to do it again, usually they say "Okay, fair cop", and no further action is taken.

@Hando, thanks for the post. I think the amount of interest in this topic shows that a. we mostly liked Shikaku and found him helpful (which obviously he was!) and b. there are serious problems with the way these boards are being modded at the moment. I for one find one of our mods to have simply the wrong ideas about modding, both in deed and in general tone. I think it would be a serious mistake to take Rico's modding rights away.

The thing is, yes these boards are privately owned but without us they are nothing! We shouldn't be ruled and dictated to by the mods, but they should mod these boards according to how we want to be as a collective group. So it's simply not good enough to say "they are mods, get over it" cos we will just go somewhere else and the stimmung will be destroyed here.

I think that idea for a thread detailing why people are being banned or suspended is an excellent idea. There needs to be changes in the way these boards are modded, and I would change a couple, or just one, of the Mods themselves. And WE THE MEMBERS need to be able to discuss this in a mature and OPEN way.

Warm&Fluffy, you said we should stop acting like children, but maybe you should stop treating us like children first.

lubidog posted on Feb 20 2007 at 12:10 PM said:
@hando, thanks for the post. I think the amount of interest in this topic shows that a. we mostly liked Shikaku and found him helpful (which obviously he was!) and b. there are serious problems with the way these boards are being modded at the moment. I for one find one of our mods to have simply the wrong ideas about modding, both in deed and in general tone. I think it would be a serious mistake to take Rico's modding rights away.

The thing is, yes these boards are privately owned but without us they are nothing! We shouldn't be ruled and dictated to by the mods, but they should mod these boards according to how we want to be as a collective group. So it's simply not good enough to say "they are mods, get over it" cos we will just go somewhere else and the stimmung will be destroyed here.

I think that idea for a thread detailing why people are being banned or suspended is an excellent idea. There needs to be changes in the way these boards are modded, and I would change a couple, or just one, of the Mods themselves. And WE THE MEMBERS need to be able to discuss this in a mature and OPEN way.

Warm&Fluffy, you said we should stop acting like children, but maybe you should stop treating us like children first.
Well said. And again, thanks for allowing a sensible discussion on the matter.

All bannings should be explained fully. If the community expresses a desire for a person to be given a second chance (like Shikako) then mods should listen. Thankfully they now seem to be. We don't do it with everyone. No-one is complaining that Klown was banned for example.

Secondly, all closed threads should be justified. Not just "this has gone far enough", but why the particular mod feels it is necessary to end a discussion.

These are my suggestions. Hopefully they might see off-topic, as well as being "nice", become used again.

ps- removing Rico's moderation was not necessary. He was the only mod to stick up for the users. Nobody has come forward to defend the recent moderation, have they?

A forum where the moderation can make unquestioned decisions, be condescending to other members in a private forum, and close any discussion about their actions is not one I enjoy being associated with. If, as a result of my actions, the forums improve, then I'm happy that my last action as a moderator was to bring something important to light.

It's been fun.

After reading some of the above messages regarding how internal politics are handled here, I feel like there's too much of a "secret council" attitude present. This forum shouldn't be a petty dictatorship, with silent decisions being made in the dark of night. Nor does it need to be mob rule. Again, this forum can be made more democratic by opening up a couple of core processes. I know I'm repeating myself, but I feel like it needs to be repeated.

1) Public warnings posted prior to any ban. Temporary bannings are automatic based on a certain number of signficant warnings received. All permanent bannings require the vote of the moderation team, with the votes made public as well as the individual mod's personal justification.

2) We should only close threads that are wholly negative, directly abusive, or clearly without merit. Threads should be closed in accordance to publicly posted rules/guidelines. Justifications for thread closings should be posted at the close of the thread in question.

Does this sound inefficient? It is, to some extent. That's one of the shortcomings of open political systems. However, it does allow for scrutiny of the process at any level. On the other hand, self-serving unilateralism is very efficient.

It's good that people question the decisions of those who would hold some power over their lives. This isn't a military organization. Having one's actions publically, critically analyzed is part of the responsibility of authority.

Thanks for everything you do as mods to make this forum a better place. Those actions are well appreciated.

Rico posted on Feb 20 2007 at 07:50 AM said:
A forum where the moderation can make unquestioned decisions, be condescending to other members in a private forum, and close any dicussion about their actions is not one I enjoy being associated with. If, as a result of my actions, the forums improve, then I'm happy that my last action as a moderator was to bring something important to light.

It's been fun.
I know that we've had many disagreements in the past rico, but I truly mean it when I say that I feel your demodding was a mistake. To be honest, I've always wanted to see you removed from the extreme team. Now however, I feel a sense of loss. And I mean it.

You and I have both matured to some degree since I've joined. I realize the error of my ways, and you have obviously realized that mindlessly suspending accounts has gotten old. You, in my opinion, have proven that you're a truly good mod. I'm sorry for your loss. And ours.

Things need to be changed here. This should be a forum for the members, not against them. The mods were decided upon by our voting. We had a say in who is to keep this place in check. Moderators are here to MODERATE, not CONTROL. We all step out of line occasionally, but for the most part we're in check. Warmfluffy, you are not here to "police", you are here to keep it run properly. Your attitude has changed quite a bit since you've become a mod; I guess we have Klown to blame for that.

One of the reasons I'm back, folks, is because of Mr. Evildragon. I took the initiative to contact him, and he in turn helped me out. He told me WHY I was banned....something I really was unclear on. I do hope that any and all suspensions will be justified from now on. How can one improve if one does not know what was done wrong?

Threads closed for no reason are becoming an issue. The thread that was derailed on evolution was completely civilized, albeit, it was derailed. A certain mod closed it, citing something to the effect of "I've had enough of this". Seeing that he only had cause to close it because it wasn't on track, I created another thread dedicated to that discussion. It was of course closed, and I was threatened with another ban. Now I don't want to step on any toes anymore, but this was, and still is, absolutely asinine.

I do hope that my above rant wont result in a ban. Thanks for reading.

Back