The Rabbit Joint

Javacat said:
I has email from openpandora about batch 2 :eek:

It has secret URL! ............. SSSSHHH.. DON'T TELL ANYONE IT

*cough*

That's a private URL for newsletter subscribers, please don't post post in forums / public

-Gruso
Oh Gruso you messer. I saw it ;). Ty Javacat.
But £240? No way.

Last edited by a moderator:
quote said:
Javacat said:

*cough*

That's a private URL for newsletter subscribers, please don't post post in forums / public

-Gruso
Oh Gruso you messer. I saw it ;) . Ty Javacat.
But £240? No way.
Actually it's £285 or so. No VAT in the original price there.

Goity said:
quote said:
Javacat said:

*cough*

-Gruso
Oh Gruso you messer. I saw it ;) . Ty Javacat.
But £240? No way.
Actually it's £285 or so. No VAT in the original price there.
£285? No way way.
I could get a nice new iPod Touch + iCP for ~£280, which is more powerful, has more professional games, and is an unparalleled media player.
It also has cameras, 32GB of storage, an incredible display, stable software, and it won't fall apart when I want to play some games on it.

iPod touch + ICP would be a winner if it could run some distro of linux. Especially with that gorgeous screen.

quote said:
Nova said:
iPod touch + ICP would be a winner if it could run some distro of linux.
Why would you want that?

Because iOS is restrictive and feels so boxed in.

iOS is a lovely operating system. Running a 'linux distro' would strip the device of the brilliant music player, the smooth Internet browser, and the huge library of apps. On my jailbroken iPod I can install tweaks, set up a firewall, run emulators, browse and edit files, and download/read documents. What more could you ask for?

I actually have the money to buy a Pandora now if I want it ..... but the problem is I don't. I'd much rather have some sort of ARM based netbook in the standard form factor :p .

Edit: It's not that I actually dislike the Pandora as a device at all. It's just that I wouldn't really use it for the things it's good at and so something in the form of a standard netbook form factor would suit my needs and wants much better. Not sure whether these ARM netbooks themselves much cop yet though.

quote said:
iOS is a lovely operating system. Running a 'linux distro' would strip the device of the brilliant music player, the smooth Internet browser, and the huge library of apps. On my jailbroken iPod I can install tweaks, set up a firewall, run emulators, browse and edit files, and download/read documents. What more could you ask for?

A full desktop environment in a small form factor. With game controls and the retina display.

A full desktop environment on a 3.5" screen that doesn't support a stylus?

Congrats Peter :). Who else was made mod?

quote said:
A full desktop environment on a 3.5" screen that doesn't support a stylus?

Congrats Peter :) . Who else was made mod?

I'm entitled to desire what I wish, am I not?

Nova said:
I'm not telling you what you can or can't desire, we were discussing the merits of iOS against those of another operating system :S.

Peter R said:
I actually have the money to buy a Pandora now if I want it ..... but the problem is I don't. I'd much rather have some sort of ARM based netbook in the standard form factor :p .

Edit: It's not that I actually dislike the Pandora as a device at all. It's just that I wouldn't really use it for the things it's good at and so something in the form of a standard netbook form factor would suit my needs and wants much better. Not sure whether these ARM netbooks themselves much cop yet though.
You'd be better just getting an Atom based device. They're very good.

quote said:
Nova said:
I'm not telling you what you can or can't desire, we were discussing the merits of iOS against those of another operating system :S.

Most people use the Pandora nubs for mouse curser control anyway. I just want a mini linux computer that plays games, and the touch + ICP would make a good candidate. If y'know, it ran Linux.

Peter R said:
Why is linux a necessity for your device? I mean I run Linux on my server because it is suited to it rather than because I just want to :D .

It's not a necessity, I'd gladly have a device that runs OSX or Windows, but Linux on a small pocketable device is a lot more likely.

Back