The Rabbit Joint

Loubear said:
nickspoon said:
It's the same as my old survey, except NEW and IMPROVED

Yeah, apparently some of the questions weren't good enough, so here it is *again*.

And specifically for Loubear, who I assume wrote "MY POKEMANS. LET ME SHOW YOU THEM. CAN IT BE HUGS TIEM NOW PLEASE?" - answering the survey three times over does not make you more important, but thanks for answering anyway. *punches*

Someone's being paranoid. I didn't even open your survey.

But thanks for the consideration.

I came to the logical conclusion that it could be only you who had done that, considering your character traits. However I am deeply sorry, and furthermore don't care.

By the way, Nova, your avatar is incredibly sexy.

Last edited by a moderator:
nickspoon said:
It'd be sexier, if GIMP didn't suck at transparencies...

Nova said:
nickspoon said:
It'd be sexier, if GIMP didn't suck at transparencies...

it's no arthur.... i realised today that i have never changed my avatar.
4 years.... wow 4 years on this board... god damn

You must be the longest surviving still active member, besides Hando. I'd give you some sort of medal, but... y'know..

i think that prize goes to toriband, i think he is like member 75 or something....

But yes been around for a long LONG time.... minus a couple of turd's it's a great forum.

I was here in late '03, under the guise of watzza_uppa, remember that?

sensible GP32 said:
i think that prize goes to toriband, i think he is like member 75 or something....

But yes been around for a long LONG time.... minus a couple of turd's it's a great forum.
Am I a turd :eek:

daclassicgamingmaster said:
You went from saying connecting clauses isn't grammatically correct to saying it's not correct when using dashes. You're going in circles because you can't make a point.

"since when is an 'and' and a 'but' for stylistic purposes? Well, no one mentioned the word "but" to begin with. I'll let it slip though, and address your point seriously.

It's stylistic because you aren't supposed to being a sentence with either one. You should have learned that in elementary school. Ever notice acclaimed writers do it? It's because they know the rules, and they can break them. It's entirely stylistic.

I love you loubear. Please post your next reply in the chatbox so we don't get banned for derailing this fantastic kitty litter shit thread even further.
You let "but" slip and it's ok, but I forget to mention the dashes and i'm wandering in circles? My entire argument was about how dashes are not used in standard english (written) for connecting clauses, and if you missed that, that's your own fault. "And" is not stylistic by any means... starting a sentence with "and" is artistic license. You're mistaking artistic license with bad grammar. Are you trying to tell me that you have seen coordinating conjunctions and semi colons replaced with dashes on essays and books on a regular basis? Or in any serious piece of literature for that matter. For the purposes of "style", would any grammatical error be henceforth "correct"? Enlighten me.

Loubear said:
You let "but" slip and it's ok, but I forget to mention the dashes and i'm wandering in circles? My entire argument was about how dashes are not used in standard english (written) for connecting clauses, and if you missed that, that's your own fault. "And" is not stylistic by any means... starting a sentence with "and" is artistic license. You're mistaking artistic license with bad grammar. Are you trying to tell me that you have seen coordinating conjunctions and semi colons replaced with dashes on essays and books on a regular basis? Or in any serious piece of literature for that matter. For the purposes of "style", would any grammatical error be henceforth "correct"? Enlighten me.
A: Please show me where I referred to the word "but". You seem to be dead-set on that word, despite the fact that I never even mentioned it.
B: "Starting a sentence with 'and' is artistic license": YES, THAT IS WHAT STYLISTIC MEANS. IT'S BASED ON THE STYLE OF THE WRITER, AKA THE WRITER'S "ARTISTIC LICENSE". Unless you're trying to say that they can do that BECAUSE they're professional. To be honest, I have no idea what you're trying to say. Please clarify, kthx.
C: Yes, actually, I am telling you that. The textbook I *just* handed in used dashes in various places. As previously stated, I also see them used in books, poetry, newspapers, and magazines. What you are essentially arguing is that the dash is improper English. It is not. The dash may well be stylistic, but it's also proper to use in formal writings.

Keep it coming, you're amusing.

daclassicgamingmaster said:
Loubear said:
A: Please show me where I referred to the word "but". You seem to be dead-set on that word, despite the fact that I never even mentioned it.
B: "Starting a sentence with 'and' is artistic license": YES, THAT IS WHAT STYLISTIC MEANS. IT'S BASED ON THE STYLE OF THE WRITER, AKA THE WRITER'S "ARTISTIC LICENSE". Unless you're trying to say that they can do that BECAUSE they're professional. To be honest, I have no idea what you're trying to say. Please clarify, kthx.
C: Yes, actually, I am telling you that. The textbook I *just* handed in used dashes in various places. As previously stated, I also see them used in books, poetry, newspapers, and magazines. What you are essentially arguing is that the dash is improper English. It is not. The dash may well be stylistic, but it's also proper to use in formal writings.

Keep it coming, you're amusing.

Dashes. are. fine. Just not when used in place of a semi-colon. Why even have a semi colon when a dash does it for you? Connecting two independent clauses like that is what the semi-colon does, NOT the dash. Artistic licence does not mean that you can change grammar however and whenever you want. Minor changes for the sake of art are fine, but it's still incorrect. Shakespeare's writings are chockful of grammatical mistakes. Even if it's poetic license, it's still wrong. It's just that noone cares. I typed "whose" instead of "who's"... isn't that poetic license in your view? Instead, I have an "illiterate ass". Nice one. It doesn't matter if it's "and" or "but" or whatever, they are not there for nothing. The point here is not that you used the word "but" or not, it's that they're not just there for "style". If you decide that using a dash instead of a semi-colon is artistic license, you decide what you're going to write. Note how I said to tell me if you see them on a "regular basis". Do you? If so, they must be everywhere... *yeah right*

Sleepy time.

As an impartial asshole, I must point out that both of Loubear's posts on this fascinating subject were, in fact, edited ... most likely due to grammatical and/or spelling errors ...

Oh. The. Irony.

Your entire statement above is full of non-sequitors and circular logic. I'm not bothering with you anymore. Maybe someone else cares enough to.

When you edit your post an hour after you made it so you aren't wrong, you know you've lost an argument. Additionally, there's no point in continuing with someone who answers their own question in the same post during a serious debate. "*yeah right*" is immature and just proves you have nothing more to say.

Have a nice sleep kiddo.

edit: yeah, telco picked up on that too. Horray for it showing when you edit a post! LOL!

dcgm out~

PISS OFF RETIRED PROFESSORS.

People complaining about how mobile phones and wifi give us all cancer and kill us, even after it has been shown not to, annoy me. A lot. This thing about wifi is going to cause no end of trouble if the busybodies get hold of it and could ruin a potential business oppertunity for me.

*runs around throwing rocks at people with 'no mast' signs in their windows*

Also, why has dcgms and loubears argument come into the discussion cube when the original thread is still open?

@Javacat: I know, I hate that, too. I once lived together with a feng-shui obsessed flatmate and she was complaining like an idiot about my plans to purchase a wifi-router. So I got a cable router... then we bought a new telephone and guess what it was... wireless!!! because the girl wanted to be able to talk to her friends without messing with the cable all the time <_< I hate feng-shui... I hate people...

Back