The What Music Are You Listening To Thread

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
An atmospheric little tune this. Not quite sure of the genre, the sawtooths that come in later put me in mind of techno, and the repetitive lyric puts me in mind of house music, if we ignore the initial shuffling noises. But it's not high energy, and I can't really imagine anyone dancing to this, unless it's the shuffling around kind of 'dancing'. But it's a curiously interesting tune in any case.

Edit: I'm not sure what the picture associated with this video is about. I can't find it on discogs, or even the artist at all, so I don't know if it's an unlisted b-side on that double-a side single, or just a previous single she put on the video because this one doesn't have any cover art yet.

• Love
Reactions: rSl

Null

Apple Crumble

I'd been meaning to track down the original version of this for a while now.

Bhenchod = Sisterfucker
Madarchod (heard at end of song) = Motherfucker

• Haha
Reactions: rSl

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
Ninja Tune delivers again. I was a little perplexed by the introduction as to the significant of the tune, but now on listening back to it a couple of time it seems I was simply put off it being drum and bass by the use of a high pass filter cropping the bass drum part of it to a little click. But in any case, it builds and arrives pure and unfiltered so that by a minute in it's rocking full beans.

I guess dance music has got a little more utilitarian these days. I suppose the introduction allows it to be mixed with a less beat driven tune beforehand, or for an MC to talk over it.

levi

Still fresh, damnit!
I think I first heard this a week ago, but heard it again yesterday, and remembered it well so it's clearly good enough to go here. It's got a kind of early Motown vibe or maybe Stax is a better describer, I'm not sure. But it's proto soul played by a jazz band basically plus strings, with little electronic flourishes in case anyone should mistake it for a historical piece.

The video's more overtly political than the music to me at least. Make of that what you will.