This Would Be Kinda Cool To Use With The Pandora

You're assuming full bitrate and not factoring in any compression at all. 480p isn't anywhere near 30MB/s when using XviD or H.246.

Edit: Just checked a 1080p movie I have, it's 11724 Kb/s that's 1.43MB/s.

MonkeyChops said:
I'd say your more hardcore than those babies that can't compensate for a small delay. Its like when Phil Hellmuth crys because someone didn't play the game the way its "supposed" to be played.
How small is small?
I've sometimes noticed big (in terms of FPS games) differences facing players with a ping about 50ms better than mine. I'm not a hardcore player, I've talked to two guys who are (some counterstrike) and they confirmed this.

This reminds me of Battlefield 2 which I played after a fashion. I read that it would expect a ping of 100ms. When trying to hit a moving target with a ping much better than this you would have to aim ahead (German "vorhalten"?) less. I would like to know how this is done, if it really makes sense and if other games do that, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Enverex said:
You're assuming full bitrate and not factoring in any compression at all. 480p isn't anywhere near 30MB/s when using XviD or H.246.

Edit: Just checked a 1080p movie I have, it's 11724 Kb/s that's 1.43MB/s.

I said lots of things about compression. Can images be compressed to 0.4% of their original size, on the fly? without any noticeable delay or loss of quality?

Hmm, 1.43 MB/s is 11.4 megabit. Go check your upload speed at a site like speedtest.net. I'm getting only 0.24 megabits on a 2 megabit (download) connection.

24*1920*1080 * 25 = 1,244,160,000 bps = 148 megabytes/sec. 0.9% of the original size. That is well compressed. For widescreen 480p it would be 0.27 megabit. Reasonable, but sustaining that upload bitrate isn't easy.

On top of this, how long does it take to compress a moving image that well? H.264 and XviD take a long while to encode and are resource intensive. Downloaded movies don't have this concern, as the images only have to be encoded once. Imagine on-the-fly encoding, would likely have to be compressed not as well to get the job done in the time available.

Mr.Confuzed said:
DroneB Dev said:
"in average, humans have a reaction time of 0.25 seconds to a visual stimulus, 0.17 for an audio stimulus, and 0.15 seconds for a touch stimulus"
100ms delay plus 250ms reaction times plus ++ to the video devices delay(lcd and plasmas).
now then add controler cmd sending times.

++350ms! ...

Good point with respect to video and controller delay, but I'm afraid human reaction time is irrelevant. Otherwise, we'd all be saying, "OMG! The world is lagging! Wait, no, I am!" Hmm... That might make my signature.

At any rate, I really don't see a problem here, yeah bad connections are going to mess with your game, but how is this any different from any other online game? I typically play Warhawk with anywhere from a 64 to 130ms ping, without any major issues. Maybe I'm not hardcore enough. :)

Etinin said:
What I find funny is how people believe 100ms and 200ms is a big latency.
You won't even notice the difference unless you're playing an FPS game.

I still doubt it is technically feasible to transmit so much image data at such a great speed, unless you sacrifice A LOT of quality.

Kind of with you on this one, but I think a reasonable internet connection should be able to handle 480p, perfect for pandora. That is, as long as the hardware is powerful enough to transcode real-time video with the same compression ratios seen in your typical downloaded movie.

yeah you wont notice, but tell that to the families that have lost a member on a alcohol caused car accident. (im just making a point dont start saying its not the same thing).

on a 0.11% alcohol level on the blood you actually get laggy, you wont notice, but who doesnt notice when someone is drunk (yes i know the alcohol also implies not only lag but malfucntion of the senses) putting aside that, FPS games will be affected for sure.

above 250ms no matter if you made a sync ring to the events it will be horrid.

Well, OnLive is already streaming 720p over a regular internet connection, so they have created hardware that can encode in less then a second. nm, couldn't find it, this is all that I could find, "Broadband connections of 1.5 Mbps dials the image quality down to Wii levels while 4-5 Mbps pipes are required for HD resolution."

So basically for the Pandora, you would need around 2Mbps. And I have 5Mbps up.

CC_machine said:
I said lots of things about compression. Can images be compressed to 0.4% of their original size, on the fly? without any noticeable delay or loss of quality?

Hmm, 1.43 MB/s is 11.4 megabit. Go check your upload speed at a site like speedtest.net. I'm getting only 0.24 megabits on a 2 megabit (download) connection.

24*1920*1080 * 25 = 1,244,160,000 bps = 148 megabytes/sec. 0.9% of the original size. That is well compressed. For widescreen 480p it would be 0.27 megabit. Reasonable, but sustaining that upload bitrate isn't easy.

On top of this, how long does it take to compress a moving image that well? H.264 and XviD take a long while to encode and are resource intensive. Downloaded movies don't have this concern, as the images only have to be encoded once. Imagine on-the-fly encoding, would likely have to be compressed not as well to get the job done in the time available.
No, I don't imagine images can be compressed to 0.4% of their original size, but the convenient thing about video compression is that consecutive frames are usually very similar to preceding frames. So by recording only the differences between the frames, a lot of unnecessary information is weeded out. This causes problems with seeking in videos, but doesn't affect continuous streams (unless a network error occurs).

You're right about upload speeds, I can see that being a problem depending on your ISP.

As for compression time, the device in question looks fairly bulky to me, and it will be specifically designed for this, so I doubt that will be a problem.

DroneB Dev said:
... FPS games will be affected for sure.
In reference to this, and the bold section above, I expect that the games will be affected in terms of both lag and image quality. It will not be as good as playing directly on the hardware, sure, but it should let you play away from the hardware while maintaining an enjoyable experience. Maybe the quality will be comparable to a HQ YouTube Video?

Back