Untechnical mother needs help!

trevlik

Still Fresh
Hi I need help! I've just ordered a Pandora for my 19 year old son for Christmas. Have to admit despite having images of it on a laptop thrust in my face at regular intervals over the last few years, I'm not completely sure what I've bought. Could someone tell me if there is anything I need to purchase to go with it, as I don't want him to open it on Christmas day and not be able to use it:(

He will be able to use it without any additionnal hardware (well a large SDcard would be greatly appreciated though).

But I'm not sure your package will be at home before chrismas (read, I'm pretty sure it wont. Make sure your son is aware of the delivery problem here)

EDIT: You have a lucky son :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Bear one very important thing in mind: production has reached a temporary standstill due to problems with the joysticks. The problem was fixed, but requires getting a new batch made, which is currently ongoing. As such, there's a chance that you may not receive it by Christmas despite any optimism that may have arrived in the order email you were sent. They're hoping to, and if there are no problems in getting the new joysticks made up in a timely manner they should, but be prepared with an IOU just in case.

That being said, what you've effectively bought for your son is a computer and a PSP mashed together. It plays games, it has a web browser, a text editor, MP3 player, all the stuff you would expect a computer to be able to do, at, like, 1/5th the size. I use mine to take impromptu notes, frequently look things up online while out, and watch old episodes of Star Trek while waiting in lines. Programs (such as the aforementioned games, web browser, etc...) can be downloaded entirely free. Unfortunately, unlike most computers with their hundreds of Gigabytes of storage, the Pandora is very limited in what it can hold out of the box. He could probably download a few things, and there already are a number of things on there he could use out of the box without downloading, but to get full usage to be able to install all the programs, or store his music, or save his documents or whatever else he intends to use it for, he'll eventually need an SDHC card to increase the storage. They range from 4GB cards for as little as $10, to 32GB cards for $80 or more. If you just want to get him something, the cheap 4GB card should be more than enough for a start. Maybe you can consider a larger card for a birthday present or something in the future ;)

He will be able to use it without any additionnal hardware (well a large SDcard would be greatly appreciated though).

But I'm not sure your package will be at home before chrismas (read, I'm pretty sure it wont. Make sure your son is aware of the delivery problem here)

EDIT: You have a lucky son :)
I wasn't aware of the delivery problem! They told me I'd have it for Christmas :(

Bear one very important thing in mind: production has reached a temporary standstill due to problems with the joysticks. The problem was fixed, but requires getting a new batch made, which is currently ongoing. As such, there's a chance that you may not receive it by Christmas despite any optimism that may have arrived in the order email you were sent. They're hoping to, and if there are no problems in getting the new joysticks made up in a timely manner they should, but be prepared with an IOU just in case.

That being said, what you've effectively bought for your son is a computer and a PSP mashed together. It plays games, it has a web browser, a text editor, MP3 player, all the stuff you would expect a computer to be able to do, at, like, 1/5th the size. I use mine to take impromptu notes, frequently look things up online while out, and watch old episodes of Star Trek while waiting in lines. Programs (such as the aforementioned games, web browser, etc...) can be downloaded entirely free. Unfortunately, unlike most computers with their hundreds of Gigabytes of storage, the Pandora is very limited in what it can hold out of the box. He could probably download a few things, and there already are a number of things on there he could use out of the box without downloading, but to get full usage to be able to install all the programs, or store his music, or save his documents or whatever else he intends to use it for, he'll eventually need an SDHC card to increase the storage. They range from 4GB cards for as little as $10, to 32GB cards for $80 or more. If you just want to get him something, the cheap 4GB card should be more than enough for a start. Maybe you can consider a larger card for a birthday present or something in the future ;)

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll get a card...sounds like it might be all he gets. Will have to big up the IOU!

Thanks very much for the advice. I'll get a card...sounds like it might be all he gets. Will have to big up the IOU!
Good luck.

This project has been a huge learning experience for the team. There's been a lot of "gotchas" along the way. I'm sure if they knew then what they know now things would have gone smoother. Hopefully it's just a short while until the new joysticks are done (estimate is 7 days to delivery, but it wouldn't be the first time a supplier missed a delivery date) and then a couple weeks of construction before things are back on track. Hopefully only 3 or 4 weeks delay, knock on wood and all that.

edit: also keep in mind that I'm not actually affiliated with the team, I'm just a rampant fan with too much information, some of which happens to be correct sometimes ;)

Make sure you don't buy an SD card from eBay, because 9/10 times the cards there are fakes. Be wary of any high capacity cards at unreasonably low prices. You can find out a lot more about this at SOSFakeFlash.

Make sure you don't buy an SD card from eBay, because 9/10 times the cards there are fakes. Be wary of any high capacity cards at unreasonably low prices. You can find out a lot more about this at SOSFakeFlash.

Thanks, but as I'm always convinced I'm buying the wrong thing I tend to stick to retailers I can speak to even if they are generally miserable as in a very well known PC retailer :) That way I can always take it back for revenge!

Hi I need help! I've just ordered a Pandora for my 19 year old son for Christmas. Have to admit despite having images of it on a laptop thrust in my face at regular intervals over the last few years, I'm not completely sure what I've bought. Could someone tell me if there is anything I need to purchase to go with it, as I don't want him to open it on Christmas day and not be able to use it:(

To get an overview on what you have ordered have a look at the Wiki.

Sorry to say that I agree with the sentiment that there is no way your Pandora will be delivered by Christmas (2010) if it's any consolation a lot of people still waiting for their Pandoras were told that they would most likely receive them by Christmas 2008. I'm not part of the production team or privy to inside information but I have been following the project closely from its inception.

As one of the lucky 900 or so who do have a Pandora I can say it is most definitely worth the wait.

Sorry to say that I agree with the sentiment that there is no way your Pandora will be delivered by Christmas (2010) ....

I keep expecting a youtube video of craig in a santa clause suit sitting on his roof, telling us he got really drunk last night and built 2000 pandora's

Just get a card. And half of the fun is downloading the stuff yourself ;) by the way I'm 19 too. :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Just get a card. And half of the fun is downloading the stuff yourself ;) by the way I'm 19 too. :D

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk
Glad you like it, just disappointed now cos doesn't look like he'll have it for Christmas, and it was going to be a surprise. An IOU isn't much of a surprise.

Glad you like it, just disappointed now cos doesn't look like he'll have it for Christmas, and it was going to be a surprise. An IOU isn't much of a surprise.
I convinced a friend that it would be an excellent birthday present for her boyfriend... two years ago. :(

He's still waiting for that birthday present, still has no idea what it is, is still excited to hopefully receive it, and there is no doubt in my mind that he will very much enjoy it when it does arrive, but I still feel bad for him and my friend having to wait so long.

At least you and your son are at the tail end of the wait. If they can just get the last of the parts where they need to be...

It is an unfortunate situation. The positive aspect is that the people who are making this are genuinely passionate about what they're doing and aren't just some fly-by-night group. They truly believe that they're making something really great (and, for me, they are). It really is one of those situations about idealism getting repeatedly hit on the head with the mallet of reality. It's pretty crazy how every single parts manufacturer they've dealt with has massively underrepresented how long each step of their work would take.

What I do like is that it seems that the current issue is really the last of the mass manufacturing problems that have to be cleared up. They have all the parts ready except for getting those working joystick nubs onto the rest of the thing. The only other problematic part is the TV output adaptor, but that doesn't affect the ability to ship the Pandora itself, since it's an optional accessory.

I'm only sad that I will most certainly not get mine before the 19th of this month, when I really wanted it by. :/

If and when you get things ordered, you might want to refer your son to this forum so he can keep tabs on things himself and join the community :)

^ This one? (I just checked the download link - it's still live. :) )

thank you Prometheus, you have just given me something to do! :D o happy days

EDIT: thanks also go to MarkoeZ

Back