Updates in all areas

Are you (ED) any closer to narrowing down a release date/month/year?  :)

Christopher.
At this rate, it seems to me that 2015 is a likely target. No idea which quarter, let alone month. If all goes well, it could be maybe Q1, if there are some unexpected setbacks, maybe Q4, but 2015 looks like a reasonable year for the Pyra release.

ED seems to think the same thing: https://twitter.com/EvilDragon1717/status/459832010899750912 "somewhere next year"

ED has already said that there will be no specific dates given until they are ready to go, as that is just a major issue when dates are not met. Anyone here who has been around since the Pandora days can attest to that(sadly) ^_^

Everything that is currently being done seems to be running way smoother than the Pandora for sure. If everything keeps running this smoothly, the end of this year could be possible, but not likely. Early to mid 2015 would probably be best. Even if everything is finalized and works properly by the end of this year, extensive testing and operations should be done, so we don't have "nub" or "case" issues as we had the last go around.

"Issues" where a huge problem in regards to order completion and profitability, so "everything" needs to be "right" before the Pyra is ready to go. I must say, I'm very impressed so far with how well this project is going and how fast progress is being made. ED's knowledge of the past, and near by vendors seems to be the key to success. I think I'll be seeing a Pyra much sooner, rather than later.

Chris

I'd prefer the LEDs to be to the right of the SD cards for power/wifi/bt and whatnot instead of the straight on eye blisters the OP has. Can we fit the LEDs there? Surely theres enough room there for those?

I'd prefer the LEDs to be to the right of the SD cards for power/wifi/bt and whatnot instead of the straight on eye blisters the OP has. Can we fit the LEDs there? Surely theres enough room there for those?
Nope, that's where the antenna is.

How about a slight recess where you can put a sticker with a logo and model number (since the same case may well be used for different CPU-board versions) - or the owner can write their name?
Yes, I've asked the designers whether they have some design ideas for that area and the nub area as well :)
Something along this line, maybe?:

3b83cf189f3a1c18bcfb56b3dee848d9_large.jpg

Anyone else thinking that the space to the right of the SD card slots looks a bit empty?

Obviously we can't put more electronic stuff there (because of the 3G antenna and such).

How about a slight recess where you can put a sticker with a logo and model number (since the same case may well be used for different CPU-board versions) - or the owner can write their name?
It does look pretty barren in that area. There's an unutilized gap on the board between the antenna and the SDXC slot: http://boards.openpandora.org/uploads/post-1-0-61260700-1392595383.jpg that would be perfect for two additional SD activity LED's for the current Pyra prototype(assuming progress updates are in real time).

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone else thinking that the space to the right of the SD card slots looks a bit empty?

Obviously we can't put more electronic stuff there (because of the 3G antenna and such).

It does look pretty barren in that area. There's an unutilized gap on the board between the antenna and the SDXC slot: http://boards.openpandora.org/uploads/post-1-0-61260700-1392595383.jpg that would be perfect for two additional SD activity LED's for the current Pyra prototype(assuming progress updates are in real time).
I think that space is reserved for the (larger) 4G antenna

I think that space is reserved for the (larger) 4G antenna
The blue one in the pic is a shorter 3G antenna? That's a shame if all that space in front will be reserved for an antenna which will only be present in a small populated sample of Pyra handhelds, or is this the antenna for the other onboard radio options?

On a side note: Brilliant 3D printed case! Really good printer, do you know if it was treated or sanded after it was printed?

Also, I think it was mentioned; will you be releasing the case files when Pyra is out so we can print out own case and modify how we want? :)

The 4G antenna does indeed need the full space and what you see here is the 3G antenna.

It's planned to have 3G based boards first and 4G ones later.

At this rate, it seems to me that 2015 is a likely target. No idea which quarter, let alone month. If all goes well, it could be maybe Q1, if there are some unexpected setbacks, maybe Q4, but 2015 looks like a reasonable year for the Pyra release.
I'll use buffered and unbuffered date :)

Q4 2015 buffered if issues arise,

Q2 2015 unbuffered if everything goes well and fast -

We'll see.  

The news just gets better and better. It looks like the production is going much faster than first anticipated (don't let me jinx it), but I guess since you have prior experience with the production of the Pandora it is only natural that the production of the Pyra would go so smoothly. I am planning to sell my Ps Vita (useless to me) and my 3DS XL to help me fund my way to ordering myself a Pyra. :)

The news you post always makes my day! I am happy that you, ED, are the producer of the Pyra because I doubt anyone could had done a better job and at such an amazing pace.

Are you (ED) any closer to narrowing down a release date/month/year?  :)

Christopher.
Two Months
I have seen this since the beginning of the Pyra's production but when did start? I am curious, and besides it's literal meaning (in two months) what does it mean with the trademark? Even without knowing everything about it, it is still quite funny to me.

Back