Updates in all areas

Yes, the world version is planned, just need to check for the antenna.
Are you saying that the world version is planned, with a seperate Pyra with antenna supporting Europe or USA, or are you saying that the world version is being used for all units at launch (or some other variation)?

-Glyph Reader

There is no "cheap" 3D printer out there that could print a transparent case since 3D printing prints it out in layers.. all you would get is at best is a translucent case.
Yeah, I can confirm that. You need injection molding to get transparent plastic, you can never hope to replicate the same thing with "layer printing" that 3D printers do. You need perfect crystallinity of the plastic polymer in order to make it transparent and layer printing would never achieve that. 
There are already Stereo Lithography 3D printers for home usage that could print with transparent plastic. Printers like the "FORM 1" are still more expencive than FDM printers but at least it is an possibility if someone want to make it's own transparent case.

There are already Stereo Lithography 3D printers for home usage that could print with transparent plastic. Printers like the "FORM 1" are still more expencive than FDM printers but at least it is an possibility if someone want to make it's own transparent case.
Stereo Lithography IE resin material printer, I did mention it in my post.. They're still on the high end price range of "Home" use and the liquid resin is fairly expensive last I looked. From what I saw cheaper printers still leave distortion lines in the material..

Last edited by a moderator:
and +1 for option to have a clear case for pyra. and my ds lite is also using a translucent case which i installed myself. ED, please talk to case people about getting different color cases, even if the cost is higher
As mentioned before, a very different color is not just "higher cost", it's a whole new mold that needs to be developed and qualified. A mold can cost several hundred thousand dollars (or even much more than that depending on the quality), so for production runs like what we expect from the Pyra (in the tens of thousands of units), it does not make much sense to develop several molds.  

Color variations with the same mold may be possible, but that needs to be tested and you definitely can't make black and white on the same mold, usually. 
based on the plastic injection molding plants ive worked in, this is too far from the case, all we did was drain out the old pallet ball looking things, dump in new ones for the different color, spray some out to get the old color out, and within 15min youd have another color plastic molding into the same machine. granted, i dont know what type of plastics they use, nor what type of machines. im just speaking from my experience working in plastic injection molding companies

Stereo Lithography IE resin material printer, I did mention it in my post.. They're still on the high end price range of "Home" use and the liquid resin is fairly expensive last I looked. From what I saw cheaper printers still leave distortion lines in the material..
Why not use vacuum forming using transparent plastic and a dremel (with small drills), bruteforce but probably works.

Why not paint it transparent instead? Problem is that case would become opaque in parts where it wears out and look ugly. ;)

"Form 1" cost $3,299.00 at the moment it seems, including resin. http://formlabs.com/products/our-printer Clear resin is also available.

For fans of more exoic hardware, there is the ridiculus cheap "Peachy Printer" a resin printer for 100$ (yes, one hundred dollars! )

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/117421627/the-peachy-printer-the-first-100-3d-printer-and-sc

It is controlled over sound, meaning you plug it into the audio jack of your PC, fascinating. ^^

all we did was drain out the old pallet ball looking things, dump in new ones for the different color, spray some out to get the old color out, and within 15min youd have another color plastic molding into the same machine.
The issue with changing the color is that the plastic will have different physical properties as it cools down because of the pigments included in it, and therefore the dimensions will differ, the resistance of the plastic may differ, and you will see same cases crack when you use one color versus the same case in another color. And I'm talking from experience with injection molds to make millions of parts every year, and the companies I worked with are all very much aware of the impact of color changes on the plastic quality, appearance, dimensions and overall strength. 

Are you saying that the world version is planned, with a seperate Pyra with antenna supporting Europe or USA, or are you saying that the world version is being used for all units at launch (or some other variation)?

-Glyph Reader
I'm pretty sure world is for all versions. (Broken record.) Otherwise, he may as well do 4G.

Why not paint it transparent instead? Problem is that case would become opaque in parts where it wears out and look ugly. ;)
Doesn't that happen with all plastics when they wear out?

Paint it transparent isn't as fast as licking the color of the original case to make it transparent.

Curious about something: since the SD card slot area is already recessed a bit, would it be possible to add a hinged cover of some sort to protect the slots from dust and accidental ejections?

Curious about something: since the SD card slot area is already recessed a bit, would it be possible to add a hinged cover of some sort to protect the slots from dust and accidental ejections?
Accidental ejections have never been an issue on the Pandora. The mechanism works pretty well.

I hope for better quality of materials and assembly unlike Pandora!

I hope for better quality of materials and assembly unlike Pandora!
I personally would like better quality buttons, which feel less wobbly and depress straight up and down. And for pieces of plastic intended to be straight to actually be straight. ;)

Tougher paint would also be welcome, a year of wear and tear has already taken it's toll on my silver Pandora's paint. But that's just cosmetic (so not that important for me).

Plus fixes for all the other evident problems Pandora has (ie. Wifi, LCD cable, etc).

I don't want paint at all, unless it's a fancy picture required to be painted.  I wonder if I'll be able to replace all of the buttons and Dpad with metal buttons.  I don't want to do this to my Pandora because I'm too attached to it as an old thing to wish to change anything anymore, but starting new,  I can hope for everything to be personally nicer.  Cold metal buttons.

Back